• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Beware of Northeast Skiology

Status
Not open for further replies.

drjeff

Who knows if those "controversy" isn't created on purpose to drum up post counts?
Considering that he has taken great pride in getting to 20k followers, and then often bans those who disagree with him, I doubt that he views controversy as a way to drum up post counts, especially as someone who has been on the receiving end of his private messenges ranting on about people in certain groups threatening him physical harm (this is just online discussion afterall) and then following up with an ultimatum that unless one stops following certain groups, you will be banned from his site.

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
When is he selling magic tickets for profit? That should be an interesting event.

SkiologyMatt

Hey it's Skiology Matt. I go by that name because of bad people like to threaten me and lie about me. The internet is a rough place and I'm a bit exposed, certainly more than I want to be. My name is Matt and I'm a real person, quite normal, and like everyone maybe special in some ways and not in others. The 25,000 people in the group I run are not fans either, they're just members of a group I run and I appreciate some of them like they appreciate me. I'm not a celebrity. I produce content and people read and discuss it, and yes I'm opinionated, but I think it works for what I do there, but not in real life.

And yes, some people don't like me. There are a lot of people there and I can't make everyone happy. I'm OK with that, I mean, I have to be, but I wouldn't choose it that way if I actually had a choice, but that's the Internet. The group is free to join and also leave, no one is trapped. I wish more people would realize that.

I mentioned the threats already. Jeff engaged with my stalkers, probably unknowingly, maybe not, doesn't matter. I knew about this because people sending me threats referenced the thread he took part in. A bunch of stuff about how DrJeff believed I was autistic and was otherwise insulting, and he went on about an exchange almost a year ago and about how he was right. Strange behavior by someone who has voluntarily supported what I do. I asked him privately to disengage from these people, three different times over 2 weeks, I didn't threaten to block him either. I normally just block people like this for my own safety, it's best to simply disappear, but I figured it wouldn't hurt in the long run to send out an olive branch since we had many vigorous debates, though he wasn't always that nice. Three times over 2 weeks, no reply, so I blocked him for my safety. This very thread is evidence that this was the right call. If people don't understand the danger of being stalked and getting random people threatening you then there is something wrong with them. Jeff, you are better than this.

And to Matt L. As a GM you not only represent yourself on the internet, you represent your entire ski area and every single person who works there and even your customers. Trolling people on the Internet is not normal for people in your position. If you want to go and join the stalker group who among other things makes claims that I drug and molest children, or that I'm gay, or that I got people to threaten a resort, or that I violated travel restrictions, and straight out doxxing me while people are in fact threating me with violence, you go right the f--- ahead and join. Grow up man.

jimmywilson69

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

NYDB

I mentioned the threats already. Jeff engaged with my stalkers, probably unknowingly, maybe not, doesn't matter. I knew about this because people sending me threats referenced the thread he took part in. A bunch of stuff about how DrJeff believed I was autistic and was otherwise insulting, and he went on about an exchange almost a year ago and about how he was right. Strange behavior by someone who has voluntarily supported what I do. I asked him privately to disengage from these people, three different times over 2 weeks, I didn't threaten to block him either. I normally just block people like this for my own safety, it's best to simply disappear, but I figured it wouldn't hurt in the long run to send out an olive branch since we had many vigorous debates, though he wasn't always that nice. Three times over 2 weeks, no reply, so I blocked him for my safety. This very thread is evidence that this was the right call. If people don't understand the danger of being stalked and getting random people threatening you then there is something wrong with them. Jeff, you are better than this.
Wait......Dr. Jeff is threatening you? Or just calling you out on your bullshit?

It's cool to see a niche and try and fill it but nobody in their 50's who started snowboarding in 2015 should be acting like an expert on New England ski areas. There are plenty of members here who have kids that know more about the mountains than you do.

SkiologyMatt

It's cool to see a niche and try and fill it but nobody in their 50's who started snowboarding in 2015 should be acting like an expert on New England ski areas. There are plenty of members here who have kids that know more about the mountains than you do.

I'm sorry Mr self-appointed Quesadilla, I forgot to kiss your ring and ask for permission didn't I?

icecoast1

. The 25,000 people in the group I run are not fans either, they're just members of a group I run and I appreciate some of them like they appreciate me. I'm not a celebrity. I produce content and people read and discuss it, and yes I'm opinionated, but I think it works for what I do there, but not in real life.

And yes, some people don't like me. There are a lot of people there and I can't make everyone happy.

If you had just stuck to the weather which was actually useful information instead of pontificating about things you know little about and shaming people for not following rules that you see fit which you went around bragging about being special enough to ignore yourself, your group would probably be a lot bigger and you'd have a lot less enemies out there, just saying

SkiologyMatt

If you had just stuck to the weather which was actually useful information instead of pontificating about things you know little about and shaming people for not following rules that you see fit which you went around bragging about being special enough to ignore yourself, your group would probably be a lot bigger and you'd have a lot less enemies out there, just saying

Fake news!

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
And to Matt L. As a GM you not only represent yourself on the internet, you represent your entire ski area and every single person who works there and even your customers. Trolling people on the Internet is not normal for people in your position. If you want to go and join the stalker group who among other things makes claims that I drug and molest children, or that I'm gay, or that I got people to threaten a resort, or that I violated travel restrictions, and straight out doxxing me while people are in fact threating me with violence, you go right the f--- ahead and join. Grow up man.
Take it easy there cowboy. No trolling here. As a member of this community for going on 14 years I made a few comments. I'd make them again. No violence of any sort. For an online personality you need some thicker skin.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm sorry Mr self-appointed Quesadilla, I forgot to kiss your ring and ask for permission didn't I?

Ironically, that is the attitude you express to those who follow your page. You have a very hard time with people who have a different view than your own and very much promote an echo chamber on your page.

I get trying to limit trolling and keeping things on subject. We do that here. But you take it to the extreme.

SkiologyMatt

Ironically, that is the attitude you express to those who follow your page. You have a very hard time with people who have a different view than your own and very much promote an echo chamber on your page.

I get trying to limit trolling and keeping things on subject. We do that here. But you take it to the extreme.

The problem on Facebook is extreme, my DMs would show that. The problem lies in me being both a content producer as well as the admin, but I take heat for every action a moderator takes if it upsets someone. COVID and political strife has been a bit challenging, just ask school board members. I am merely trying to hold things together, but people will walk all over you if you give them an inch. It wasn't always that way. You don't see that bad stuff by design because it would scare people away. It's a handful of people, 90% of them from one extreme. Can I be better about my approach? Absolutely. I keep trying to figure out what might work best, but I'll never make everyone happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.