• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

PAabe

Vail is pretty consistent: stops doing group sales, jacks up night skiing and rental rates, neglects the parks, cuts night skiing hours, prohibits being dropped off and leaving gear bags in the lodge, installs anti-fun police = inhospitable to young skiers

I also blame them for causing their critical mass of ski areas to end the 4th and 5th grade ski passport

abc

Vail is pretty consistent: stops doing group sales, jacks up night skiing and rental rates, neglects the parks, cuts night skiing hours, prohibits being dropped off and leaving gear bags in the lodge, installs anti-fun police = inhospitable to young skiers

I also blame them for causing their critical mass of ski areas to end the 4th and 5th grade ski passport
Well, I guess Vail doesn't care to lose the park rats, kids (and their parents). They'll just have to travel further to find other places to ski.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Vail is about one thing and one thing only: the Epic Pass. Anything else detracts from that product (except for the additional services such as lessons, rentals, food, retail). Vail killed PCMR's night skiing, which historically was a favorite of locals. Why? They were not making $$$.

Geoff

Beaver Creek: 30 of 169 trails open. 16 of those are novice trails. Snow-Forecast shows maybe 5” of snow this week. Christmas week is going to be a disaster. I’m probably going to reschedule my January 3 trip.

skiur

Prohibit being dropped off? How's do they do that?

MadKitty

Oops didnt really mean that, I mean you can't really get dropped off easily (like by a bus) because they make it difficult to leave your bags in the lodge
Yeah not allowing bags in the lodge is downright uncivilized. Sunday River isn't allowing bags in the lodge this year but lots of people are doing it anyways with no apparent consequences from what I've seen. Power is in the hands of the governed:)

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Beaver Creek: 30 of 169 trails open. 16 of those are novice trails. Snow-Forecast shows maybe 5” of snow this week. Christmas week is going to be a disaster. I’m probably going to reschedule my January 3 trip.

Yeah Colorado is in rough shape. I believe Vail has 1/3 trails open, Breck has 38/187 trails open. Over here Park City has had...wait for it...41" of snow this season. 50/350 trails open.

I would not cancel your trip. The entire West Coast (save Montana) is going to get hammered with snow in the coming week. OpenSnow predicting 21" over the next 5 days at Beaver. Do not use Snow-Forecast... they take the computer results from one weather model (the GFS) and spew it out. OpenSnow is generally pretty good for ski-specific forecasts. CO will probably get 2-3 feet by New Year's. I would do a little more digging into the forecasts and make your own call. I'm sure NOAA for Boulder/Denver has a ski resort page tucked away.

skiur

Oops didnt really mean that, I mean you can't really get dropped off easily (like by a bus) because they make it difficult to leave your bags in the lodge
Gotcha, they don't have a bag check? Killington doesn't allow you to leave bags under a table anymore but they have a free bag check. I like this much better as you don't have to kick people's bags out of the way to sit at a table.

gittist

They probably gave out coupons that expire within 15 minutes..
Every ski area in PA has night skiing as far as I know and many/most? schools have a ski club. Vail is not hospitable to the ski clubs or kids in general

Blue, Bear Creek, Shawnee are and consequently are packed every friday night. It's a radical time
Jack Frost doesn't have night skiing so that's at least one thing that Vail didn't cut out.

kendo

Too bad Hunter got rid of the ski check...
Just another Vail..."improvement"
Ski check outside by the deck?

Guess I haven't been paying attention - did they close the bag check counter (attended room) downstairs? Are you allowed to boot up downstairs in the lodge this year or no bueno? Thx.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yeah not allowing bags in the lodge is downright uncivilized. Sunday River isn't allowing bags in the lodge this year but lots of people are doing it anyways with no apparent consequences from what I've seen. Power is in the hands of the governed:)
Alta and Snowbird no long allow it unless one is using a paid locker.

drjeff

Second that.

No longer have to dig through the mountain of bags others pile on top to fish mine out from the bottom.

More tidy lodge too.
I think that there will be a sizable amount of people ultimately on BOTH sides of the bags vs no bags allowed in the lodges going forward.

In situation that I am guessing we most all of experienced, the amount of bags in a lodge and the effect it has on seating and at times even moving around in a lodge can be a negative and at times can also be associated with people who choose to camp out all day and essentially take full possesion of a table for most of the day, especially if it involves a group of people going to the mountain that day. That situation has its drawbacks for sure

The flipside, is many people, whiling tolerating it last season because of COVID, just aren't fans of using their vehicles as a base lodge, which does include botting up and taking them off at their vehicle at the end of the day.

Seems like its close to impossible to please both groups, and both groups likely account for well more than 1/2 in total of the skiing/riding population

Kingslug20

Saw people booting up downstairs..didnt see the bag check..maybe on weekends
Im doing it in my truck..

gittist

Pretty soon (Especially at Vail owned places) the lodges will be torn down, they'll cut a window into one port-a-pot for ticket sales and the other port-a-pots will be cleaned once every two weeks whether they need it or not and that will be all there is for 'facilities'; and bring your own TP like in the Caribbean. Retro skiing at it's best (or worst depending on your point of view)

Last edited: