• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"Guerilla" Ski Instruction

abc

"... had been previously contacted and warned by park staff regarding his illegal operation but continued his activities."

He's an idiot. Seems like he was asking for the punishment.

That's a whole different thing...
No one's claiming to be Certified on a bunch of stuff
Is it that different? He's been warned about requiring a permit. He continued operating without one.

Basically, pretending he has a permit when he knew perfectly well he doesn't have one. That no different from claiming to be Certified when none exist.

Zermatt

"... had been previously contacted and warned by park staff regarding his illegal operation but continued his activities."

He's an idiot. Seems like he was asking for the punishment.

Is it that different? He's been warned about requiring a permit. He continued operating without one.

Basically, pretending he has a permit when he knew perfectly well he doesn't have one. That no different from claiming to be Certified when none exist.
Same applies to ski areas that operate mostly on federal land. There is no question that charging for ski lessons on federal land without a permit is a crime.

This guy would have gotten away with if he stopped when asked by the NPS.

abc

This guy would have gotten away with if he stopped when asked by the NPS.
Or apply for a permit.

But I don't know what it takes to get a permit granted. Maybe it's as pointless as getting hired as a ski instructor on a mountain (get paid < 1/10 of what the customer paid)

The "punishment" isn't all that severe. Perhaps he gambled he'd be better off operating without permit TILL he gets caught...?

Kingslug20

People take selfies in front of the liquor store they just robbed...social media idiocy..
Makes the investigation easy...

ThatGuy

Saw this on reddit, I think theres more to the story if the head of Ski School got involved. This quote from the article makes me suspicious, “Witnesses later revealed that Sorrenson had been seen offering technical advice on multiple occasions, which alerted the resort to the fact he might be providing coaching without proper authorization”

As a ski instructor I have mixed feelings on the subject…but if you’re just helping your friends learn for no charge that shouldn’t ever be an issue. Lessons can be prohibitively expensive on top of all the other costs involved in getting into the sport.

jimmywilson69

For some good ole green backs, or a Venmo, I can be anyone's "Friend" for the day. That being said if my buddy wants to learn to ski, I should be able to give him tips and pointers without hassle. Even if its every Saturday...

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I could see something like this going to court but few outside of Vail would have the temerity or bucks to hire a lawyer or pay court fees.

ColdRain&Snow

I considered a private lesson at Stratton late last season, at that point I didn’t think it was worth it after I saw the price.

This season I’m going check into it early on, wondering if you can record it with a helmet GoPro.

Also, I have an ikon pass this season and there are discounts for most everything with it.