• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Diesel and the ski industry this Winter...

drjeff

Just curious as to what the ramifications may end up being if the reported looming Diesel fuel supply shortage really pans out and what it may mean for the ski industry this season? Most snowcats run on diesel. The back up motors for lifts are diesel. So many of the portable air compressors that ski areas with air/water snowmaking systems run on diesel. There's only so much pre-bought stored onsite capacity at most ski resorts. And that doesn't even get into the trucks that bring supplies to the resorts themselves from various vendors/suppliers

Could present a bunch of operational logistical challenges for sure if the diesel shortage ends up being a full on reality

Potentially could end up being some significant impacts on the day to day operations of many ski areas

djd66

Just curious as to what the ramifications may end up being if the reported looming Diesel fuel supply shortage really pans out and what it may mean for the ski industry this season? Most snowcats run on diesel. The back up motors for lifts are diesel. So many of the portable air compressors that ski areas with air/water snowmaking systems run on diesel. There's only so much pre-bought stored onsite capacity at most ski resorts. And that doesn't even get into the trucks that bring supplies to the resorts themselves from various vendors/suppliers

Could present a bunch of operational logistical challenges for sure if the diesel shortage ends up being a full on reality

Potentially could end up being some significant impacts on the day to day operations of many ski areas
If there was a diesel shortage, we have much bigger problems than ski areas not being able to lay corduroy. I call BS on the rumor. The price may go up, but we will not run out of diesel.

IceEidolon

If it's just higher diesel prices, many places could cut back grooming or snowmaking a bit without most of the general public noticing - I'm sure Vail is saving a decent chunk of change in reduced fuel cost already.

Lift APUs aren't usually burning a huge amount of diesel, that's far less concerning than snowcats and compressors if prices go up. If there's any lifts with a diesel main drive in the Northeast, maybe...

Newpylong

Shortage usually implies there are actual issues procuring the product, like the great TP shortage - I think the term is used too loosely.

What we have seen and are going to continue seeing are increased prices due to supply issues (a number of variables are causing that). No one is going to have any trouble getting diesel if they need it (and are willing to pay to transport it into the region). I say this after just filling my truck up for $170 or so lol.

Most places have fully electrified by now (save a few spot locations such as Killington and Wildcat, etc) so it will not effect the cost of snowmaking as much as grooming.

RH29

I'm sure the White House has a plan to remedy the diesel shortages, maybe Electric Snowcats?
We got a real comedian over here, don't we?

More likely they'll release strategic reserves.

MidnightJester

Strategic reserves are unlimited?
We got a real comedian over here, don't we?

More likely they'll release strategic reserves.

Even if they released it all over the US and North America it would do almost nothing unfortunetly. Have read and saw from more then one source that we are at max capacity of refining. The extra millions of barrels of oil are sent out into the world market. Last I heard India and China have been buying most of our released reserves since we are at almost max refining.

We need NEW refineries or bring back online some that are working but the US Govn't wont allow them to restart with out major hurdles and updates.

In 12 months most oil and gas bills could be half as much or even less and Electric rates stabilize and eventually come down if we said Yes to safely drilling most places and Yes to new refineries. Simple as that.

Last edited:

icecoast1

If there was a diesel shortage, we have much bigger problems than ski areas not being able to lay corduroy. I call BS on the rumor. The price may go up, but we will not run out of diesel.

Even a rationing (which is supposedly already happening in certain areas) could be a big issue for resorts that use thousands of gallons per day.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

If Biden announced an Operation warp speed type refinery build he might actually save his party in the midterms. Couldn't he try to use an Executive order using emergency wartime powers? Of course it will never happen. It's fun to just imagine the horror of the carbon nazi esg crowd.

Last edited:

MidnightJester

If Biden announced an Operation warp speed type refinery build he might actually save his party in the midterms. Couldn't he try to use an Executive order using emergency wartime powers? Of course it will never happen. It's fun to just imagine the horror of the carbon nazi esg crowd.
Operation Warp screwed you mean. He just said this now to boost belief in a candidate and America

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

Operation Warp screwed you mean. He just said this now to boost belief in a candidate and America
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to fu*k things up." - Barack Obama
A13usaonutL._CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7C61JaOl9pPCL.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0_AC_UX679_.png

bigbob

I'm for slowly bringing ALL manufacturing back here again, stop buying from China! I know it's hard finding to find stuff not made there, but it is possible.
You might as well bring the Chinese workers also since we are at full employment and no one else wants to work. Just don't try and give them a place to live since there is also a housing shortage.

djd66

Even a rationing (which is supposedly already happening in certain areas) could be a big issue for resorts that use thousands of gallons per day.
Dow is at 32000, if this were real issue the Dow would plummet. I still call BS on this shortage rumor. I think this has more to do with the election.

Yo VT Raps

It seems the smarter people I have heard discussing this are not massively concerned. No impending disasters, maybe some price spikes coming.

KustyTheKlown

It seems the smarter people I have heard discussing this are not massively concerned. No impending disasters, maybe some price spikes coming.

Those smarter people don’t live here. This board is basically the Breidbart comment section. A bunch of severely concerned, narrow minded, bigoted old white men who think they know better than everyone else. Science is a scam. tHe mEDiA cAnT bE trUsTed. liVe FrEe or dIE!