• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing trip saved me from Covid!

Smellytele

a doctor wearing a mask is hardly "stopping our lives". I don't even advocate for mask mandates in general, but it seems like common sense for them to be worn in medical facilities.
Well I work in hospitals and to be honest only when workers are in patient areas are masks being used. Behind the scenes most people are not. Some day surgery places I have been in no one is wearing them.

drjeff

Well I work in hospitals and to be honest only when workers are in patient areas are masks being used. Behind the scenes most people are not. Some day surgery places I have been in no one is wearing them.

And the CDC quietly dropped their mandate that they be worn inside of a medical facility about 2 months ago.

Obviously for certain patient procedures where masks have always been worn, that is still the standard operating procedure.

I did notice that this past week when I went to have blood drawn, the door to the medical office building that the lab was located in had a sign on the door saying that "mask are recommended, but not required inside of the building"

Anecdotally I have probably 10-15% of patients coming into my office still wearing a mask, before they take them off so my staff and I can work in their mouths. When we tell the patients who walk in the door wearing a mask that now (unlike in the past couple of years) they only have to wear a mask if they want to, around half of them choose to remove their mask right then

2Planker

And the CDC quietly dropped their mandate that they be worn inside of a medical facility about 2 months ago.

Obviously for certain patient procedures where masks have always been worn, that is still the standard operating procedure.

I did notice that this past week when I went to have blood drawn, the door to the medical office building that the lab was located in had a sign on the door saying that "mask are recommended, but not required inside of the building"

Anecdotally I have probably 10-15% of patients coming into my office still wearing a mask, before they take them off so my staff and I can work in their mouths. When we tell the patients who walk in the door wearing a mask that now (unlike in the past couple of years) they only have to wear a mask if they want to, around half of them choose to remove their mask right then
Umm MA still mandates that all Pt facing MD’s, DMD’s and their STAFF wear a mask all the time@ work (except when eating)
Every single Boston Med. Cntr still requires it for everybody. Even Pts & visitors entering the hospital

Edd

Medical offices around here are still masked up, including my dentist and optometrist offices. With the eye doc, I can see masking in the examination room, but the desk staff and all patients are required to be masked, which I don’t really get.

drjeff

Umm MA still mandates that all Pt facing MD’s, DMD’s and their STAFF wear a mask all the time@ work (except when eating)
Every single Boston Med. Cntr still requires it for everybody. Even Pts & visitors entering the hospital
That's MA.

Federally the CDC rescinded the mandate.

CT they are optional, unless a specific facility chooses to mandate them

2Planker

That's MA.

Federally the CDC rescinded the mandate.

CT they are optional, unless a specific facility chooses to mandate them
Yup. CDC changed it in late Sept. However it may go back in place if things continue to rise. Not just from Covid but from Flu and RSV. Flu is at its worst in 10 years. Boston hospitals are all completely full. Our ER has many Pts on litters lined up in the hallways. Average wait yesterday was more than 12 hours to be seen. WAY TOO MANY people there with non emergencies, getting in the way of those that truly need immediate care.

Last edited:

RH29

does that somehow negate their necessity, especially when flu/RSV are as rampant as they are?

skiur

does that somehow negate their necessity, especially when flu/RSV are as rampant as they are?

Masks are partly responsible for the flu/RSV being as rampant as they are.

skiur

skiur

Right.......

Do you not know how our immune systems work? It needs to have contact with viruses in order to build immunity to protect us from them. When we no longer have that exposure our immune system does not work as effectively.

cdskier

You do realize that one of the recommendations mentioned in the article you quoted to reduce risk of flu/RSV is to wear a mask, right? Or did you just read part of the article?

skiur

You do realize that one of the recommendations mentioned in the article you quoted to reduce risk of flu/RSV is to wear a mask, right? Or did you just read part of the article?
I never said wearing a mask doesn't work when it comes to spreading germs. It most certainly does. The downside of that is that you are not exposed to these germs so when you aren't wearing a mask your body is less capable of defending itself against said germs.