• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

skiur

True. Although the ones I see don't have people heaving cans anymore.

And FWIW Interstate is the same company that manages Alta's parking system. Let's just say that the language on their website is not so cheery and friendly: https://www.altaparking.com/violations

It is very interesting that an outfit popped up in Breckenridge, of all places, to manage parking reservations at ski resorts.

What happens if you don't pay your violation?

cdskier

While I think it is terrible that someone would threaten physical abuse to a parking attendant/manager, I also don't particularly feel bad for the guy. He took a job knowing full well that 99% of the people he would interact with would hate paid parking (and if he somehow didn't think that would be the case...then he's very naïve). Who did he think they were going to take that anger out on? I also feel like there's probably more to the story than simply "Bobby wanted me fired because of the uproar on social media".

Smellytele

Talk to Hover...teaching has a ton of perks...
Those who can’t do, teach. 😀
Seriously though, I was skinning up today through the beginner area and no instructor looked like they were having any fun. It takes a different kind of person than me to have the patience and want to help others. I want to ski when I am at a ski area not talk to people about skiing.

abc

It takes a different kind of person than me to have the patience and want to help others. I want to ski when I am at a ski area not talk to people about skiing.
There’re indeed two different kind of people in the world. Those who help others only as duty demands, and those who genuinely take pleasure in helping others. “Teachers” are by nature the latter.

Too many ski instructors are not there to “help others”. They’re not “teachers”. They’re just…ski instructors. :sneaky:

eatskisleep

I guess I still understand why people want to ski at Stowe.
I have no clue why anyone would want to work for Vail though.
Eh, the skiing there is overrated for the cost of a day ticket. Sure if you are a pass holder it is great, but otherwise no thanks.

thetrailboss

Staff member
While I think it is terrible that someone would threaten physical abuse to a parking attendant/manager, I also don't particularly feel bad for the guy. He took a job knowing full well that 99% of the people he would interact with would hate paid parking (and if he somehow didn't think that would be the case...then he's very naïve). Who did he think they were going to take that anger out on? I also feel like there's probably more to the story than simply "Bobby wanted me fired because of the uproar on social media".
It all reminds me of this gem from the “Colbert Report”

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Eh, the skiing there is overrated for the cost of a day ticket. Sure if you are a pass holder it is great, but otherwise no thanks.
Clearly Vail's model is to only make all their ski areas worth it only for
A. Pass Holders, and
B. Those who don't have to ask the price

KustyTheKlown

i disagree that stowe is overrated. in my opinion from a pure skiing terrain perspective, stowe is the best in the east.

its tragic what vail has done to the place. it used to be worth the price of admission.

deadheadskier

Staff member
i disagree that stowe is overrated. in my opinion from a pure skiing terrain perspective, stowe is the best in the east.

its tragic what vail has done to the place. it used to be worth the price of admission.

Agreed. Best combination of natural snow, terrain and infrastructure. But it's just not worth the hassles to me anymore. Vail has ruined it.

When my kids are older and good enough to appreciate the mountain, I'll take them there midweek. But you'll likely never see me there on a weekend again. Not unless they do more to decrease crowds

Last edited:

0xCUBE

USA, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
More Stowe parking drama…
View attachment 55354
as the guy who got replied to, this was definitely weird. On the one hand, I found it strange that they made such a huge explanation with some...questionable opinions, and on the other hand, they spammed a similar thing to dozens of other comments regarding the Vail parking drama. Honestly hard to judge if it's real

thetrailboss

Staff member
as the guy who got replied to, this was definitely weird. On the one hand, I found it strange that they made such a huge explanation with some...questionable opinions, and on the other hand, they spammed a similar thing to dozens of other comments regarding the Vail parking drama. Honestly hard to judge if it's real
I do wonder if it is a hoax.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I guess I still understand why people want to ski at Stowe.
I have no clue why anyone would want to work for Vail though.
Full-time Vail people find Vail to be a good employer, offering internal opportunities for advancement, health insurance, dental insurance, 401k, etc.

I see an analogy with Comcast/Xfinity: many of their customers/past-customers hate them but, their employees like them because they are well-treated.

hovercraft

Full-time Vail people find Vail to be a good employer, offering internal opportunities for advancement, health insurance, dental insurance, 401k, etc.

I see an analogy with Comcast/Xfinity: many of their customers/past-customers hate them but, their employees like them because they are well-treated.
Spot on. Unfortunately in today’s society people love to hate from the outside while being clueless about whats going on from the inside.

thebigo

People confuse a nostalgia for vail's properties with hatred. Personally it took one year as an epic passholder for me to realize vail does not offer the premium experience my family is looking for.

We replaced crotched with pats, sunapee with ragged; attitash and wildcat with loon and sunday river. In all four cases the experience is significantly improved over what vail offers. This however does not preclude us from being upset that we are unable to raise our kids at the mountains we grew up skiing.

Last edited:

hovercraft

It might be nostalgia for you and I would like to point out there are 385 pages and 7670 posts on this thread. The majority of them are not about nostalgia.