• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

ThatGuy

Hawk do you really think the “masses” are on this forum reading a post from Mr.Steeze and thats the determining factor in them “sending it” into SB.

Probably more people in the bar on a Tuesday night than this thread.

1dog

Hawk do you really think the “masses” are on this forum reading a post from Mr.Steeze and thats the determining factor in them “sending it” into SB.

Probably more people in the bar on a Tuesday night than this thread.
Hawk is correct- ‘ if we can save even one’ ( fill in the blank ; Tree, face, ACL, thumb, ski base, baby hemlock,etc.)
Think there are more eyes on this forum than expected.
Hueys and upper Paradise good but still thin based on exposed-by-snow-plowers illustrated.

cdskier

Based on the number of people I saw coming out of Slide Brook on Saturday on my drive back to my condo after skiing ME, I don't think what people say on this forum or in the bar is going to matter. Lots of people are skiing it anyway. People see that Sugarbush is 100% open and that there was a decent amount of fresh snow and automatically think everything is good to go in mid-winter form (which may be somewhat closer to true at higher elevations...but definitely not down low).

djd66

I was surprised to see a Blazer group going into SB. NO thanks,... definitely not for me yet. Judging from the snow I was shoveling on my deck - it is really good base building snow - extremely dense. A couple of more storms and things will be much safer for my tastes.

Hawk

I think there is a fair amont of people that lurk read these reports. I mean once you post it is there. You underestmate the power of the internet.

ThatGuy

I get what you’re saying I just think there’s an exponentially higher number of people who aren’t on these sites who will just willy nilly dive into any woods they see tracks going into. I get trying to keep things on the downlow but a little info goes a long way in making informed decisions if you don’t have boots on the ground yourself.
No one needs to give away their secret spots but SB is on the map so people are going in regardless.

cdskier

I think there is a fair amont of people that lurk read these reports. I mean once you post it is there. You underestmate the power of the internet.

I agree there's a lot of lurkers...but I still don't think what is said will matter much. If people say nothing, some will just assume it is fine based on incorrect assumptions. If people try to discourage it and say it isn't ready, you'll get some people who think we're lying and just trying to keep people out because we're selfish or something and don't want them in the woods and SB. I just feel like over the last 5-10 years I've seen a substantial increase in the amount of people that lack common sense when it comes to going into the woods. Every year it seems like I see people going in earlier with less and less cover...

SteezyRob

You guys are nuts. the top half skied OK if you are an experienced expert but what about all the swack, rocks and stumps on the bottom half. Why do you wnat to send the masses in there to snowplow the thing into the ground? If you want people to know you had a good day in there then just tell your friends in the bar.
I only heard that it was good from a friend, and I'm sure that the bottom is pretty gnarly right now, lower elevation than what I've been skiing in the woods. But I'm neither worried nor care about it getting plowed into the ground, it's rather boring imo.

hardscrabble

Interesting discussion. This site is still strikes me with more of a "how is it out there?" vibe, rather than the "look at me" atmosphere of reddit, instagram, and other sites that are more photo/video centric. Clout can be a helluva drug, and IMO is the main thing pushing so many more jerries into low tide woods in recent years.

Hawk

If you don't think that the constant reports on the internet have not expanded or excelerated people going into the woods then you are mistaken. Hey it a free world and if you wnat to spill all the details then fine. To some extent you are just giving away an asset that you love for no other resaon than to say "look where i have gone". I will never get the total inclusiveness of this generation. But that is me.

KustyTheKlown

It’s the “skiology” outlook. Over share everything. Broadcast every tip trick and secret earned thru experience and trial and error to every low information jerry with a Facebook page. Bad.

hardscrabble

Not saying that AZ is blameless, but there are definitely worse offenders. I think we're more or less on the same page.

KustyTheKlown

I (wrongly I guess) assume the reach of this page is quite low. How many lurkers are there? Is that information available somewhere? I’ve never poked around the bowels of this site

thetrailboss

Staff member
If you don't think that the constant reports on the internet have not expanded or excelerated people going into the woods then you are mistaken.
I take it that you have a spreadsheet documenting the accelerated number of folks tree skiing? Perhaps an Excel spreadsheet?

;)

I (wrongly I guess) assume the reach of this page is quite low. How many lurkers are there? Is that information available somewhere? I’ve never poked around the bowels of this site
At this moment:

1675112826237.png

Hawk

I was surprised to see a Blazer group going into SB. NO thanks,... definitely not for me yet. Judging from the snow I was shoveling on my deck - it is really good base building snow - extremely dense. A couple of more storms and things will be much safer for my tastes.

I take it that you have a spreadsheet documenting the accelerated number of folks tree skiing? Perhaps an Excel spreadsheet?

;)

At this moment:

View attachment 56269
Trailboss is on it. Now I can fill out my spreadsheet. ;-) 330 is actually way more than I thought but good to know.

NYDB

I think sugarbushs insta posting of a video last week of a skier picking his way through the trees had 50x more impact than this thread in an entire year. they have 72k followers.

fwiw.....I thought the trees had decent coverage last Friday at north. I didn't hit a thing on multiple runs through lower angle woods

ThatGuy

Theres no info on here that isnt more readily available elsewhere. The site even has a visitor counter and theres not too much traffic (half are probably bots). Go on youtube, Skiology, FatMap, hell even icecoast reddit and there are way more people spreading info around. Its one thing to feel entitled to information and another to put feelers out to get a vibe on conditions.

Ill say it again Slidebrook is no secret, its on the map. If the info helps a few idiots from getting in over their head thats better than not in my opinion. Just look at some of the posts on here and you’ll see how ill informed some people are when they ask about backcountry and side country.

Plenty of idiots are going to go blindly into terrain they shouldn’t, mine as well let there be some warning of whats out there.

SteezyRob

If you don't think that the constant reports on the internet have not expanded or excelerated people going into the woods then you are mistaken. Hey it a free world and if you wnat to spill all the details then fine. To some extent you are just giving away an asset that you love for no other resaon than to say "look where i have gone". I will never get the total inclusiveness of this generation. But that is me.
agreed, but i've never named any secret stashes on the site so this might be irrelevant considering my message seemed to have started this (it seems you are insinuating that a secret stash has been exposed?)

mikec142

Made it up to SB for the first time this past weekend. It's been a rough winter. Went with a buddy who doesn't love the bumps so we mostly stuck to the groomers although I snuck in a few runs on Morning Star while he skied Birch. On Saturday, Birch and Morning Star were my favs. Sunday I really enjoyed Sunrise after the groom.

Snowball/Spring Fling were ungroomed on Saturday waiting for the whales to drain. Sunday they were groomed but I thought they were icy and not very enjoyable.

Ripcord was pretty good and I'm not a RC fan as I usually find it an icy mess.

Used these days to work on my form which could definitely benefit from the work.

A couple more thoughts:

1. Win, I hope your Grandson is feeling better. My daughter tore her ACL this past April (at a fraternity party, but that's another story) so I know how frustrating it can be.

2. Although I make do when SlideBrook isn't running, I'm happier when it is. I may not even ride it, but I like to have options. As to which is faster...it's not even close. I define the timing as when I stop skiing to when I start skiing again. To take the bus, you have do take off your skis, walk through the base area, wait for a bus, get on the bus (sweaty AF), ride to ME, then get off the bus, walk a bit, then get on a lift. You're not skiing again until you're at the top of GMX or Inverness.

3. For those who would prefer that CR never run and it's only accessible via hike. I find that to be a tough take. I'm okay making the hike, but there is no way I'm doing it more than once a day. When CR is skiing well, I like to do a couple of runs there. I get that everyone wants their personal playground tho.

4. As to the Mikaela Shiffrin banner. Wow. Some people really love to bitch and moan. Shiffrin is the poster child for skiing. She deserves to be celebrated wherever skiing occurs.