• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski and Snowboard helmets. Do you? or don't you? ride with one!! Have you been saved by one?? What are you using? and how is it?

Bumpsis

I started wearing a helmet after I got hit by a skier wearing one. If I had to be in a legal fight with that idiot (of course it was his fault...;)), I probably wouldn't look good. Well, it never came to that. On more serious note, I've seen enough people bounce their noggin on the hard pack, so wearing one really does make sense. For spring skiing I wear my MTB helmet. Fits well, full head protection and can wear it with just shades - no googles.

skiur

I started wearing a helmet after I got hit by a skier wearing one. If I had to be in a legal fight with that idiot (of course it was his fault...;)), I probably wouldn't look good. Well, it never came to that. On more serious note, I've seen enough people bounce their noggin on the hard pack, so wearing one really does make sense. For spring skiing I wear my MTB helmet. Fits well, full head protection and can wear it with just shades - no googles.
Why can't you wear your ski helmet with sunglasses?

Smellytele

I rock my helmet with aviators in the spring with no issues.
Until you wipe out on your face. Helmets are designed to be used with goggles. Worse concussion I ever had was when I had a helmet on and sunglasses. Hit my forehead and it pushed my helmet back. If I had goggles on they would have stopped the helmet from moving back.

Edd

Just can’t ski with shades. My eyes start watering when I get some speed going. I try every few years and give up.

skiur

Just can’t ski with shades. My eyes start watering when I get some speed going. I try every few years and give up.
I have the same problem if it's cold out, but in the spring it's not an issue for me. Plus in the spring everything is bumped up so you never really get going very fast.

jaytrem

I always find it interesting when I come across a ski area and there's noticeable lack of helmets. Hood Ski Bowl would be the latest. Everywhere else in OR was helmets as usual. Not at Ski Bowl, percentage was WAY down, even saw a good number of kids without them. The also had a mini park with rope tow. Probably about 50 people using it and I counted 2 helmets.

MidnightJester

The snowboarder that I am pushing to step up his skills and terrain ability wont most times wear his chin strap even when I tell him it will fly off or miss helping on the first bad tumble.

Last edited:

skiur

The snowboarder that I am pushing to step up his skills and terrain ability wont most times wear his chin strap even when I tell him it will fly off or miss helping on the first bad tumble.

Wearing a helmet without the chin strap is pretty useless, mys well not wear the helmet at all. Googles will hold it in place to about 35 mph but any faster than that and it's coming off your head from the wind.

ThatGuy

My buddy doesn’t wear a helmet because he says they make him more reckless 🧐🤥🥴
Personally I couldn’t go without one, also keeps your head warm.

x10003q

I started wearing a helmet when my first kid was starting to ski about 15 years ago. Back in the 1980s I raced SL and GS in college w/o a helmet. Nobody wore a helmet for SL/GS. The first time I wore a helmet while skiing was at a speed camp around 1989 at Sugarloaf. I currently have a POC with MIPS.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Started wearing one when my kids were on the way 16 seasons ago. They are nice and warm and work well with goggles. Glad I switched

ColdRain&Snow

I’ve mentioned I got back on my boards a few years ago after a several year break.

Back then, in the lodges, it seemed only kids had helmets and put them on the tables and chairs while the adults were mostly in hats.

Now everyone wears helmets and the lodges look like bowling ball swap meets.

Bumpsis

Why can't you wear your ski helmet with sunglasses?
Some spring days are just too warm for my ski helmet - MTB helmet vents better. Also, I really have to use my goggles when wearing the ski helmet, it's a matter of fit. Without the goggles it just wobbles too much. And if it's warm, I really don't like wearing goggles. The level of protection is the same so I may as well be comfortable.

flakeydog

Always find it curious that there is a contingent of Ski Patrollers that don't wear helmets. I would think that anyone that has actually been a real ski patroller (like actually rendered aid to a severely injured subject) would have seen enough to be convinced. At least lead by example.

BodeMiller1

Never have, never will. For me it limits my vision and hearing. If I picked up the sport these days I'm sure I would.

Iwasronin

I have never worn a helmet skiing, I just make sure I duck enough when Im in the woods. I started skiing, when I was three, forty years ago and back then no one wore helmets.

Last edited: