• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does "Park" skiing bother you?

TyWebb

My son will be 15 and has really gotten into skiing the Park - skis with twin tips and no poles. I'm old so always ski on the side but his interest began about 5/6 years ago with that large 1/2 pipe @ Killington. He really became obsessed in Jr HS and this year as most of his buds in the ski club are boarders who hit the park.

Doesn't bother me and I just ski on the side and watch him do his thing. When I sk alone or with GF I really don't pay attention to the parks. Also - if it keeps teens and 20somethings interested in skiing I'd say that's a win for the sport longterm

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you can’t ski everything well without poles you are not as good as you think.

Pole plants are a critical component of proper bump skiing technique. I'd argue more so than any other discipline in the sport. Even Johnny Mosely would not ski bumps even close to as well without poles

darent

no problem with it, takes a lot of practice and skill, I grew up on a trampoline flipping and twisting and totally understand that thrill. If I wasn't so old I would join them!!

Jersey Skier

I wish park skiing existed back in the 70's when I was a teen. We just skied the mountain looking for little jumps to try and do a Daffy, Backscratcher or the occasional failed Helicopter. Eventually we'd get yelled at by ski patrol to stop before someone got hurt.

RH29

Park skiing doesn't bother me and every now and then I'll hit a few boxes or small jumps. Park skiers occasionally do. I don't think it's a coincidence that the most continually trash-littered liftlines are on major park lifts.

drjeff

Park skiing doesn't bother me and every now and then I'll hit a few boxes or small jumps. Park skiers occasionally do. I don't think it's a coincidence that the most continually trash-littered liftlines are on major park lifts.
Spent a bit of time watching the Carinthia Classic at Mount Snow today (women's and men's ski and snowboard divisions) and what those athletes threw down during that rail jam was IMPRESSIVE!

Vter

Pole plants are a critical component of proper bump skiing technique. I'd argue more so than any other discipline in the sport. Even Johnny Mosely would not ski bumps even close to as well without poles
Ya ya, my man.
I said “ski everything Well…”
Not to perfection as your example cites. You forgot Racing, trees, Pow etc. I go non pole a few times a year just to get in tune with myself and boards in most disciplines of the sport, I think most coaches would agree.

jimk

Park seems like a great place for younger folks to enjoy. It came along way after my youth so I missed the scene. Where I mostly ski, Snowbird, they have no park and I occasionally hear kids asking about where's Snowbirds terrain park? Honestly, parks probably have most value on small hills where the regular trails get boring and so the park gives kids a place to hang out and practice skills for many hours.

I had a great day recently at Sundance. They have a terrain park there and it apparently gets good use. At about 130 PM during my ski day I saw a group of about 8 local teens/young adults launch impressive aerials off a kicker at a mid-point on the mountain. They hit it one after the other. I caught one in action:
KICKER 1 MARCH (2).jpg

I agree that it's insanely impressive when you see big mtn skiers throw all kinds of great park-type tricks mid-run on some bada$$ piece of mountainside.

Last edited:

SteezyRob

I don't think the letter is real first off and second, park skiing is super cool and does require a lot of skill. I really should learn rails someday but I have a while, I'll focus on cinnamon rolls for now.
Skiing without poles is sick if you're swerving.

BodeMiller1

it's interesting because in my opinion the pinnacle of the sport is the freeride world tour and all those guys are backflipping and sending huge 360's etc. clearly they have spent some time sessioning the park.

I think if you can't flow a bit in the park you aren't an all round skier or rider.
The "jumps" and landings are built to make the tricks easier than they appear. Hit the right speed, spin and there it is. I agree with the complaint guy. Skiing is about getting down a challenging mountain with style. If it looks like a wounded duck 🦆....
One of the injury/death problems is people try and copy these ballerinas and pay the price.
Stupid is as stupid does.
In New Hampshire it's actually against the law to invert off a jump, butt you see it all the time.

BodeMiller1

Motion for clarity.

I hit the sides of parks at the end of the day when trails are skied off. Not many park peeps look for good snow. The medium and small jumps are fun when not crowded.
Socrates said it possible to look down at the worker, butt enjoy the work.
To me the whole park movement seemed silly. But, if the kids are buying tickets let them be.

The energy is expensive these days argument is a very good point. Good thing K has Vermont cows to rely on.

Moo