• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will snowmaking shut down early this season?

RH29

Unless conditions are beyond favorable, June is not going to be in the cards. I would go out on a limb and say base depths are at 50% of typical glacier. Skye Lark will go quick too as there has been no May push there. This year has been tough. I would gladly have the runs they covered this winter after many years hiatus than SS late, but that's just me.
Killington's strategy last year was to blow like crazy into early April, and they made it to June with a reasonably warm late April/May.

skiur

Killington's strategy last year was to blow like crazy into early April, and they made it to June with a reasonably warm late April/May.

Last year they had snowmaking budget left, this year they do not. Early season had a lot of melt outs and they also made snow in places that don't always get snowmaking, dreamaker headwall had snowmaking this year, it hasn't seen snowmaking in 15+ years. Guns still going on supe right now, it was skiing very nice today, but the glacier isn't making memorial day without a cool spring.

Keelhauled

Even if they have the budget it isn't looking likely that the weather will give them the opportunity to spend it.

slatham

Long range forecasts look cold. K can make memorial day if they want. But they need to make more snow.

Granite1

K will make Memorial Day, we have entered a climate period that is warmer in the late fall and early winter, and colder late winters and springs. Ski resorts need to take a look at this phenomena, consider changing their opening and closing strategies.

Edd

K will make Memorial Day, we have entered a climate period that is warmer in the late fall and early winter, and colder late winters and springs. Ski resorts need to take a look at this phenomena, consider changing their opening and closing strategies.
Christmas, Presidents, and MLK. It’s all about these periods, at least for the east. After those, the interest in staying open diminishes steadily, weather be damned.

Newpylong

Have you looked at the 10 day? Have you seen the wet bulb Sunday to now? Last year when they shutdown on 4/1 (no they didn't go any further into April) the spine was massive because they had single digit temps. There were mini-Himalayas near the base.

Unless they get a knock out cold snap in early April and decide to fire back up again it's not going to happen this year. Even Memorial Day will be a stretch. The depths are just not there.

Last edited:

Granite1

Christmas, Presidents, and MLK. It’s all about these periods, at least for the east. After those, the interest in staying open diminishes steadily, weather be damned.
Not for K-Bragging rights mean a lot to them!!!!! The King of Spring, first to open-the last to close-THE BEAST!!!!!

skiur

Not for K-Bragging rights mean a lot to them!!!!! The King of Spring, first to open-the last to close-THE BEAST!!!!!
Lots of tailgating going on at K in the spring, you should probably stay home.

DrPeteG

The mound at the bottom of Superstar from the fan gun constantly running last spring was incredible

Granite1

Lots of tailgating going on at K in the spring, you should probably stay home.
There is a lot of tailgating going on at K in the spring, almost all of it responsible, and tailgating and hanging out at the Umbrella is a blast and a good thing. I've participated too. Some, though, are drunk-stoned since early morning and ski and drive impaired, endangering others. By the way, I was at Stratton on a warm sunny day a couple of weeks ago. I hung out at the mid-station deck, drank bourbon, and then went skiing. Oh no! I was looking for Cold Rain and Snow. He wants to have lunch with me. A few guys were smoking weed in the corner of the deck next to the outdoor grille area. Maybe they were Cold Rain and Snow and NYBD.

Newpylong

That is when they shutdown last year 4/1.

skiur

Guns and hoses were being pulled off Supe today, snowmaker said that they are done for the year. I don't see memorial day happening this year without a unusually cold spring.

ThatGuy

I’m probably in the minority with this opinion but no matter how much they blow by Memorial day its more of a novelty than good skiing anyway. Rather have good coverage on more trails for April than Superstar for late May/June.

Reactions: amf

Scottyskis2

Now Hiring: Snowmaking Operations Foreman and Snowmaking Mechanic

The Beast’s snowmakers never stop... not even in the summer. Join the team that makes the longest season in the East possible as a mechanic or operations foreman and help ensure our systems are ready for next opening day.

Link: https://linkpages.pro/Aknbr8

#Beast365 #Killington