• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SKI SUNDOWN: AZ Challenge 2007 Response/Feedback Thread

Greg

Staff member
A few comments:

1. Good to hear the same bump approach will be followed again for next year. We need to hope for a week of deep cold early on. I would love to have bumps in mid-to late December!
  2. The "Pick a night" program sounds perfect for our Wednesday night gatherings.
  3. "Terrain expansion on a large scale is likely in the near future" :-o
  4. I would love to see a mogul competition come to pass. I offered up any help I can to them to promote it. If you're into it, Email the mountain and show your support for a SNE bump comp! customerservice@skisundown.com
  5. My daughter is probably beyond the carpet now that she has ridden the chair, but the steeper pitch is good news for you and your daughter, 2knees!
  6. I'll have to check out that skiercross course...

FYI, pass/lift ticket prices have just been released for 2007-08:

http://www.skisundown.com/passes/

Greg

Staff member
Good answers. The small terrain expansion on stinger is intriguing...

I assume it's just the widening we learned about a few weeks back. Probably to put in more park elements, or make the current ones safer.

Grassi21

I'll have to check out that skiercross course...

Catamount had one last season. I only skied it a few times but it was good fun. You hit a few of those banked turns the right way and your speed just builds.

Greg

Staff member
Sweet. It looks like I will be grabbing one of these for this season.
I don't see any details on the Web site so I'm looking into pricing. Depending on how many nights you expect to ski, either this or the savings card are good options.

Very interesting. I'm guessing the area skiers left of Gunny will be a candidate.
I would assume that's really the only area where expansion can take place.

Re: Stinger. I think a mid-summer hike is in order to check out Stinger and the new base deck.

Grassi21

I don't see any details on the Web site so I'm looking into pricing. Depending on how many nights you expect to ski, either this or the savings card are good options.

I was just about to e-mail Sundown to inquire. Thanks Greg.

The only reason I would opt for the Savings Card over the Pick a Night is if wifey and I decide the bulk of our days will be spent at Sundown. With Grandma 10 minutes away I see many trips to Sundown to get a snow fix for us.

Greg

Staff member

I was just about to e-mail Sundown to inquire. Thanks Greg.

The only reason I would opt for the Savings Card over the Pick a Night is if wifey and I decide the bulk of our days will be spent at Sundown. With Grandma 10 minutes away I see many trips to Sundown to get a snow fix for us.

This is what I got:

The cost of the pick a day/night programs differ depending on a multitude of options. Preseason purchace that includes 8 clinics is $249.00

The added lessons might actually work out well for you Chris being relatively new to skiing. $16 night skiing with the $89 savings card is hard to beat though. 6 night sessions pays for it.

Tin Woodsman

The widened Stinger is not a good thing from my point of view. I suppose if it's going to permanently remain the terrain park, then that would make some sense. Otherwise, it's just ruining one of the only trails in CT with character.

As for significant terrain expansion, that is definitely interesting. Something skiers left of gunbarrell and perhaps a little sumthin sumthin between the triples would be fun.

Greg

Staff member
All this talk has just made me incredibly psyched for this season...

Greg

Staff member
The widened Stinger is not a good thing from my point of view. I suppose if it's going to permanently remain the terrain park, then that would make some sense. Otherwise, it's just ruining one of the only trails in CT with character.
I hear ya. Stinger is/was a great trail. But with all the terrain elements on it, it being "ruined" by widening means very little to me. I think I skied it less than 5 times last season.

As for significant terrain expansion, that is definitely interesting. Something skiers left of gunbarrell and perhaps a little sumthin sumthin between the triples would be fun.

Agreed. Hopefully, they'll add something somewhat narrow and twisty through there.

So, you gonna join us for the bumps this year, Tinny?

Tin Woodsman

Agreed. Hopefully, they'll add something somewhat narrow and twisty through there.

So, you gonna join us for the bumps this year, Tinny?
Hard to do narrow and twisty with snowmaking, so I don't know how much room to roam they will have.

As for joining in on the bumps, probably not. Got a kid on the way and my limited ski days will be spent where I can get the highest skiing buzz/$ ratio, at least this winter.

Greg

Staff member
As for joining in on the bumps, probably not. Got a kid on the way and my limited ski days will be spent where I can get the highest skiing buzz/$ ratio, at least this winter.

We do it on Wednesday nights, not weekends. You a CT resident? Breaks up the week nicely and the bumps are certainly buzz-inducing. I look forward to the Wed. night gatherings as much as my weekend trips to larger mountains. My second was born during the 2005-06 season and I still got in a dozen or so nights over there.

BTW, congrats!

Grassi21

This is what I got:

The added lessons might actually work out well for you Chris being relatively new to skiing. $16 night skiing with the $89 savings card is hard to beat though. 6 night sessions pays for it.

Decisions decisions. Since Sundown will probably be our home mountain the wife and I will probably get Savings Cards. That way we can get those weekend discounts. The Card worked out great last season.

At this point I'm willing to pay top dollar to make some turns. Very psyched here as well. I started my lunch time weight lifting sessions this week. Looking to be in sick shape for the start of the season.

wa-loaf

How far is Southbury from Sundown? I may wind up at my in-laws at sometime this winter. Might be worth escaping to the mountain if I can.

Greg

Staff member
How far is Southbury from Sundown? I may wind up at my in-laws at sometime this winter. Might be worth escaping to the mountain if I can.

Sweet! Keep us posted. Small hill, but many of us call it home, at least midweek.