• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowpack Damage Observation Thread

Greg

Staff member
We had about a one foot deep snowpack earlier today. We're now flirting with 50 degrees and the snowpack has been reduced by at least 1/3. :???: I hope we hold onto something. I'm sure the ski areas and places further north are faring just fine, but I still like to have snow at home.

Greg

Staff member
Oh, and the southwest side of the house is getting pounded by rain. Also sounds like those winds they promised are starting to kick up... :(

Warp Daddy

We've been pounded by rain heavy at times since 8 am this morning we had snow banks in the drive way about 4.5 ' high and snow in the back yard that was up over top of my knees and i'm 6'2" .

Now at 7:45 Pm it s still pouring , winds are picking up BUT nowhere where predicted . Our snowbanks are now around 2.5 ft and snow depth in the yard about a foot -!!

Sure hope it turns around tonite --its supposed to start snowing around midnite 1-2 inches then anoter 2-4 tomorrow

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I desperately don't want to lose the snowpack, either for skiing or for the sheer joy of a white Christmas; however, I'd really be happy if the ice dams melted off the house...

loafer89

It's finally raining, but not very hard and looking at the radar it looks like it may be over in 1-2 hours.

thetrailboss

Staff member
We only had about an hour or so of rain. Snow is holding fine...and it should be getting colder soon and changing over to snow. Tomorrow may be a firm groomer day....

Greg

Staff member
Up to 55*F and then wind is screaming out of the southwest. Luckily, based on the radar, it looks like we only have a few more hours of this bullshit. :roll:

loafer89

I just peaked out my front door and the snow is still covering our front yard. There is very little rain and the strong SW wind is keeping my front porch dry:-o

It's now up to 50F, probably the warmest temperature here in more than a month.

The cold front is already in Western New Jersey/Albany, New York.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hoping things change soon...we had a batch of mixed precip about 30 minutes ago...and it is still way too warm out there. Slush outside. Snow is absorbing the water well. We have not received any snow from this yet.

snoseek

OMFG this thread sucks!!!! You guys need not torture youselves.

Screw it-just go out and ski.

loafer89

The rain just ended and the temperature is starting to drop and is now down to 49.4F.

The snowpack took a hit and I can see some grass in my yard.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Beautiful sunrise this AM reveals that snow-wise, the storm was a bust...leaving a dusting at best. Snowpack is not hard at all, and one can break into it. No winds and temps in the 20's I'd say. Snow has settled about 3-4 inches I'd say. Groomer morning...will probably have VC.

Greg

Staff member
The snowpack took a hit, but we held on to about 90% coverage. About 5-6" of wet snow.

loafer89

We still have fairly continuous snowcover here, but grass is showing where water was standing until this morning. There is alot of ice and frozen snow outside.

wa-loaf

We lost about half, but there's still 10-12" left on the ground. Just making room for the next storm . . .:grin: