• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowpack Damage Observation Thread

thetrailboss

Staff member
The Monday Report: better wait folks. The front did not cross the NEK until early this morning, and that gave groomers very little time. Anything ungroomed is deadly. Anything groomed is just a thin layer of holiday deathcookies. Bumps are not skiable. I think that a couple nights of good grooming will set things up nicely for Wednesday through the weekend. Am crossing fingers for snow...and maybe a weekend snowstorm?

twinplanx

agree with snoseek, this thread borders on obscenity. I have my blocker on...

uh...ya think maybe us flatlanders may want to how this latest weather system affected the slopes?

Close to 60 down here yesterday with rain made for some extra pleasant last minute Christmas shopping

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
uh...ya think maybe us flatlanders may want to how this latest weather system affected the slopes?

Close to 60 down here yesterday with rain made for some extra pleasant last minute Christmas shopping

Sorry, I'm not one of those folks who stares at a car wreck as I drive by either. No stomach. It's a dirty job and I give you all the credit.

I'll let y'all tell me when it's safe to go back into the water...:lol:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The Monday Report: better wait folks. The front did not cross the NEK until early this morning, and that gave groomers very little time. Anything ungroomed is deadly. Anything groomed is just a thin layer of holiday deathcookies. Bumps are not skiable. I think that a couple nights of good grooming will set things up nicely for Wednesday through the weekend. Am crossing fingers for snow...and maybe a weekend snowstorm?
This was as I feared. I bailed on Cannon this morning due to concerns that natural snow would not fare well. Sounds like I might have made the sound decision by staying put.

Zand

Only an inch or two left here and many bare spots. We took a huge hit last night as the snowcover was 6-8" deep yesterday.

loafer89

I just took a trip into the office in Bloomfield to check on the mail and such and there is about 3-5" of snowcover between here and the office. Some spots in the sun and particularly parts of my backyard are down to grass where the water from the rain washed away the snow.

Technically we still have a white Christmas.

The good thing with all of this rain is that I can put out some more last minute decorations with the reduced snowpack being less of a hinderance.

Warp Daddy

Still have over a ft in the yard , banks are about 3 ft high now. we lost some but our base was very good . got 2 inches of lite pow over nite with more projected tonite -- so my crew 'll be out there wednesday

loafer89

It looks like we will have another storm this weekend with more or less the same track and type of precipiation, ie rain for New England. After that the models show a cold outbreak with a possible east coast storm track.

Hopefully this is our January thaw come early.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
Pretty big hit here, but still a couple of feet in the yard. Thankfully, we had such fantastic snow that we should be back to where we were if we can get favorable weather going forward.

I love going to bed with the sound of the rain on the roof when it's May or early November. Sounds like the drumbeat of doom when I hear it two days before Christmas.

JimG.

Staff member
I skiied Wed-Sat last week. Great conditions. Killington on Wed was fantastic. Hunter was great too.

Haven't been since, but my report is that Hunter took a big hit.

Really a shame, I was starting to dabble with some success in the woods there.

skibum9995

This was as I feared. I bailed on Cannon this morning due to concerns that natural snow would not fare well. Sounds like I might have made the sound decision by staying put.
My cousin was at Cannon Monday and said it was nasty. Anything that did not have a bunch of manmade on it now has lots of bare spots. I'll be there tomorrow to survey the damage for myself.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
I went to Mad River today, which has all natural. The snow was still in good shape. Not skiing like a dream, like it was last week, but there was still full coverage. The woods were tough and they were forced to do more serious grooming than they usually like, but not bad at all, especially compared to the last couple of years at this time.

loafer89

The NWS just issued a freezing rain advisory for my county, cool I get to go ice skating with my car tomorrow:lol: