• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Niar

Greg

Staff member
Not much you can do about so I've learned to embrace it. Usually results in no crowds and nice soft snow. Who's with me?

drjeff

One of the reasons why my clothing quiver has a bunch of Gore-tex in it ;)

gmcunni

Not a fan of skiing in the rain. did it once and will never do it again.

i'll admin, i don't have the right cloths but don't want to invest either.

loafer89

I hate rain, be it Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter. I have skied in plenty of rain and heavy doses of freezing rain at Sugarloaf and it's nothing special.

I'll take -20F or better weather as a better deterrent to crowds than rain any day.

Soft snow is what spring is all about.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I used to not mind it, but considering I only get out one day a week or so, I get a bit bummed when it rains.

I do appreciate the resulting soft bumps, but the negative effects of crust in the woods etc that can take a long time to recover from aren't worth it IMO.

bvibert

Staff member
I have no problem skiing in it. I'd prefer that it didn't rain in the winter, but if it's going to happen it's going to happen.

danny p

For me it totally depends on duration and intensity. A couple passing showers or a downpour for a while, its ok, but all day constant rain is another story...but I'm on board with embracing whatever mother nature throws at us.

Grassi21

on my ride to sundown on sunday it was pouring. with the temps in the 40s i was smiling ear to ear. those bumps were sweet.

after one rain soaked night last season i ponied up and sprang for a gore tex jacket. i haven't looked back since.

Geoff

I ski in the 'nair' all the time. The surface is usually great. I have Gore-Tex two shells with hoods that fit over my helmet. My shell pants are Gore-Tex. I have Smith turbo fan goggles so I don't fog. I ski with spare gloves wrapped in a plastic grocery store bag in my day pack since glove saturation is my only issue. I do wish I owned gloves that had the built in rubber squeegee on the index finger to get the spatter off my googles.

Not much you can do about so I've learned to embrace it. Usually results in no crowds and nice soft snow. Who's with me?

Rain is no excuse to miss a day of skiing...freezing rain sucks though..shit I work in the rain and play golf in the rain..why not ski in the rain..as Greg said..no crowds and nice soft snow..works for me..

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Yup, I'm pretty sure we covered this before.

Not a fan. Drizzle is okay, I guess, but not anything with substance. Then again, there's little I enjoy doing in the rain, except maybe running when it was really hot before the rain.

Greg

Staff member
Not sure I understand those that are willing to ski in light rain, but not moderate or heavy rain. Once you're wet, does it really matter?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Drizzle isn't as much of a visibility issue as heavy rain. I also just don't like the feeling of being pelted by rain. I don't ski in freezing rain usually, either, for that reason. Drizzle is hardly noticeable.

gmcunni

Not sure I understand those that are willing to ski in light rain, but not moderate or heavy rain. Once you're wet, does it really matter?

for me it is the degree of soaking-wetness. my non-gortex clothing can fend off the lightest of rain but anything beyond that and i'm heavy with water. an investment in gortex might help but i'd rather invest in gear and skip the rainy days.

Greg

Staff member
for me it is the degree of soaking-wetness. my non-gortex clothing can fend off the lightest of rain but anything beyond that and i'm heavy with water. an investment in gortex might help but i'd rather invest in gear and skip the rainy days.

Knowing how you love bumps, you don't know what you're missing. Slush explosions!