• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So why is Hunter not making snow all the way down Kennedy? Any ideas...

dmc

DMC, then why do they have a few guns on Kennedy and one at the base? Just trying to make sense of the madness! Trying to have a more open mind and not blast them.

No clue... All I can tell you is this morning was one of the first that I didn't have to scrape the ice of the windshield...

MarkC

It could have something to do with the type of guns that they have mounted on Kennedy. Some guns do not perform well at marginal temperatures. From the mid mountain shot on the webcam it does not appear that they are running to many high energy pin guns. Some fan guns and stick guns simply wont produce a quality product at 32 degrees. No sense in laying down slop now when the temps are going to be cold for the rest of the week after today.

millerm277

I'm guessing they went "Hmm, we could make expensive poor-quality snow on Kennedy now, or wait until tomorrow/Wednesday night and make much better snow for less money".

As for the 1 gun running at the base, IIRC there are some reasons for having a gun at the bottom of the snowmaking line/system running.

They also don't have a ton of snowmaking around the base area, and need a lot of snow down there, so it may just be that they felt it was worth it. Lastly, Kennedy is mostly older SMI Highlands, and that's a newer SMI Polecat/Super Polecat, which I think performs a bit better in marginal temps.

I think they turned on the base guns to keep you guys quiet. . They could have blown all Saturday night at the base, but they waited till 8am. There is lots of snow up top, above B. Looks like a great bumping weekend coming up!