• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Damage from the thaw

BenedictGomez

Like you it helps that I have a condo on the side of the hill.

Curiosity question. Did those things plummet in value when the mountain closed, and then skyrocket in value when it was announced it would reopen, or did they stay pretty much the same price since many people like them for summer/fall use as well as winter?

jrmagic

They did drop precipitiously when the mountain closed and started to climb once it reopened but never got crazy. In Trailside where I am, the 2 BR units never got to 200K in the post reopening era. I don't think they were that high before the close either.

abc

Some of you are real negative nancies.

If the conditions don't suit you go bowling. I realize some of you drive a long way to get to your fav resort, if you stay home I think you'll regret it. :smile:
I can go bowling near home without paying the hotel bills!

If counting pennies are the definition of negative nancy, some of us have no choice but to be one. At least those of us without unlimited funds. Any day we're paying hotel bill bowling is a day later in the season we're staying home. Or at least a new ski we don't have the funds to buy!

legalskier

I love Platty but they definitely be behind the other 3 Catskills in sniwmaking.

Maybe so Scotty, but they're currently reporting 5-6" of fresh so far today, with more coming. http://plattekill.com/
The east face already had a nice base when I was there a week ago.

I can go bowling near home without paying the hotel bills!
If counting pennies are the definition of negative nancy, some of us have no choice but to be one. At least those of us without unlimited funds. Any day we're paying hotel bill bowling is a day later in the season we're staying home. Or at least a new ski we don't have the funds to buy!

If you're in the lower Hudson Valley, then you're within striking range of a day trip to Platty- no need for a room. If you've never been, this is a good opportunity to see why it has so many dedicated fans.

Btw, they just picked up a nice shout out from UnofficialNetworks re: how to beat the holiday crowds-
http://unofficialnetworks.com/avoid-east-coast-crowds-mlk-weekend-115429/

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Maybe so Scotty, but they're currently reporting 5-6" of fresh so far today, with more coming. http://plattekill.com/

If you're in the lower Hudson Valley, then you're within striking range of a day trip to Platty- no need for a room. If you've never been, this is a good opportunity to see why it has so many dedicated fans.

Btw, they just picked up a nice shout out from UnofficialNetworks re: how to beat the holiday crowds-
http://unofficialnetworks.com/avoid-east-coast-crowds-mlk-weekend-115429/

I love Platty, but my car is a no go and if they get enough snow to open the whole place up I highly recommended especially avoiding holiday crowds this weekend.:)

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Riverskier

Granted I have a pass and live about an hour from the mountains, so a different situation than some of you, but I ski every weekend regardless of conditions, and have fun regardless of conditions. My favorite stuff to ski is glades and natural trails, but I can have a blast ripping groomers too!

I actually won't be there this weekend (blacked out, headed to Mt Abram), but this is the time when Sunday River really shines. They will have the guns cranked all week, and will probably resurface most of the mountain. I would imagine they will have some of the best conditions around this weekend.

BenedictGomez

They got punished by the thaw like everyone else though. There's so much natural snow at Platty (which is awesome), but the flip-side to that is natural melts faster.

abc

I can ski it any weekend it's open. But if anyone (myself included) wants to use the long weekend to strike further afield, either for a change or for better CONDITION, this weekend may NOT be ideal.

Even though Platty within "striking distance", it's VERY loooong strike! 2+ hrs each way, 3 days in a row???

kingslug

After the 20 inch dump I went to Hunter..3 times that week..900 miles total...but it was kind of worth it..then I collapsed...

abc

After the 20 inch dump I went to Hunter..3 times that week..900 miles total...but it was kind of worth it..then I collapsed...
I would have gotten a motel room...

(actually, Platty has some sweet deal that you pay for the room and ski for free or almost free. And once you figure the gas cost, you might actually come out ahead)

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Mad River Blog is calling for 1 to 4 friday and 4 to 7 sunday on top of what they got today add the guns going nonstop and I think conditions will be just fine....

BenedictGomez

Mad River Blog is calling for 1 to 4 friday and 4 to 7 sunday on top of what they got today add the guns going nonstop and I think conditions will be just fine....

So 5" to 11" of fresh? I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not seeing anyone else approach an 11" possibility, and that guy is the most optimistic snow forecaster I've seen (was brutal last year). My $$$ is on the 5" side of that prediction. On Tuesday, however, some weather wonks I've seen are getting excited over a possible storm.

AdironRider

You know the MRG halo effect is in full play when people start trumping an optimistic forecast and their SNOWMAKING. Right....

legalskier

They got punished by the thaw like everyone else though.

The east face seemed to have a good base, much more than the north face, probably from more snow making. The difference really was noticeable. So even with that thaw I'll bet that side is ok. And now with half a foot on top, with continuing cold temps for more snow making....hey, I guess I'm a 'glass half full' kind of guy.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
So 5" to 11" of fresh? I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not seeing anyone else approach an 11" possibility, and that guy is the most optimistic snow forecaster I've seen (was brutal last year). My $$$ is on the 5" side of that prediction. On Tuesday, however, some weather wonks I've seen are getting excited over a possible storm.
I dont think this looks to bad as well....Its not a powder weekend and the natural trails wont be any good but still not a disaster.

http://www.snowforecast.com/resorts/4848-sugarbush-resort

BenedictGomez

I dont think this looks to bad as well....Its not a powder weekend and the natural trails wont be any good but still not a disaster.

http://www.snowforecast.com/resorts/4848-sugarbush-resort

Okay, but look at that snowforecast bottom line.

MLK WEEKEND--A quick and weak disturbance zips through with some cloudiness and a brief shot of light snow showers (northern resorts favored)--continued west winds and not as cold. A slightly stronger system arrives Sunday with some light/moderate snow for most resorts--light accumulations possible (under half a foot mostly).

"Under half a foot mostly" is approximately 100% different than a high-end of 11 inches.

I follow a bunch of mets on Facebook, and I've not seen one predict anything remotely close to 11" even being plausible this weekend. That Single Chair guy overdoes it on the snow totals a lot from my experience. I still read him, but I take his snow totals for the MR area with a grain of salt. There's a snowmobile guy in the ADK (link below) who I think does a great job. He was debbie downer ALL last winter. It was depressing at times reading his forecasts, but at the end of the day, he was correct.

http://www.ilsnow.com/2013/01/15/winters-path-to-redemption-update-11513/

jrmagic

Okay, but look at that snowforecast bottom line.

"Under half a foot mostly" is approximately 100% different than a high-end of 11 inches.

I follow a bunch of mets on Facebook, and I've not seen one predict anything remotely close to 11" even being plausible this weekend. That Single Chair guy overdoes it on the snow totals a lot from my experience. I still read him, but I take his snow totals for the MR area with a grain of salt. There's a snowmobile guy in the ADK (link below) who I think does a great job. He was debbie downer ALL last winter. It was depressing at times reading his forecasts, but at the end of the day, he was correct.

http://www.ilsnow.com/2013/01/15/winters-path-to-redemption-update-11513/

I will happily take what ever we can get. As of this past Monday things were looking pretty bleak. At least there is some snow falling and some more on the way. With the heavy wind gusts there might be some nice lines to find if you know where to look also less skier traffic so the groomers may last a while before they are totally skied off.