• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Storm timing fo resorts

Puck it

Can anyone ptovide us the timing of this pending storm? I am particuluarly interested in the timing for the NNH resorts.

WinnChill

Can anyone ptovide us the timing of this pending storm? I am particuluarly interested in the timing for the NNH resorts.

Sure...light snow develops Friday morning with the bulk Friday PM/eve...snow should taper off overnight. If this thing really flares up, wind-blown snow showers carry into Sat AM but overall high pressure builds in--perfect timing for fresh pow for first chair Sat AM.

Here's the newly updated state summary forecast page for NH--it finally has a more manageable resort list under the map AND we're just now testing out the Forecasted Snowfall numbers on the list as well. Check it out.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Sure...light snow develops Friday morning with the bulk Friday PM/eve...snow should taper off overnight. If this thing really flares up, wind-blown snow showers carry into Sat AM but overall high pressure builds in--perfect timing for fresh pow for first chair Sat AM.

Here's the newly updated state summary forecast page for NH--it finally has a more manageable resort list under the map AND we're just now testing out the Forecasted Snowfall numbers on the list as well. Check it out.

Thanks!!

abc

If this thing really flares up, wind-blown snow showers carry into Sat AM but overall high pressure builds in--perfect timing for fresh pow for first chair Sat AM.
"if"?

Is there still uncertainty about the storm? Or is the uncertainty just about the intensity of it?

This is unfortunately a busy weekend for me. Somethings I can't get out of, and some I can, with some difficulty. So need to do some planning and jiggling. Eepends on how good the storm is expected to be, the "things I can get out of" list may change... ;-)

WinnChill

Certain about snowfall for just about the entire northeast (two systems merging), just uncertaintly about the position and intensity of the merged/combo offshore storm and whether we get that intense backedge onshore snowfall for S NH/ME.

BenedictGomez

I like the way you think.

If I had one ski tip to offer people, it would be to LEAVE BEFORE a massive storm comes and be settled in in ski country or at the resort. Sit back, kick up your feet, relax while it dumps, and then enjoy the amazing (empty) skiing while others despair that they "cant get" to the slopes because the roads are treacherous.

WinnChill

I meant sick day Friday to travel/pre-position and even some late day fresh....then enjoy the bounty during the weekend. Accounting for travel, that's all.

WinnChill

I like the way you think.

If I had one ski tip to offer people, it would be to LEAVE BEFORE a massive storm comes and be settled in in ski country or at the resort. Sit back, kick up your feet, relax while it dumps, and then enjoy the amazing (empty) skiing while others despair that they "cant get" to the slopes because the roads are treacherous.

Yup, exactly what I'm talking about.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I meant sick day Friday to travel/pre-position and even some late day fresh....then enjoy the bounty during the weekend. Accounting for travel, that's all.

Seats in my car are now going for $100 northbound, $20 southbound. :lol: Bus leaves the station at 4pm Thursday.

How many times can I say :snow::snow::snow::snow::daffy::snow::snow::snow::snow::spread::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::spread:

drjeff

Certain about snowfall for just about the entire northeast (two systems merging), just uncertaintly about the position and intensity of the merged/combo offshore storm and whether we get that intense backedge onshore snowfall for S NH/ME.

Come on now Winn, what could go wrong? ;) It's not like the 2 pieces of energy right now are basically located about 1500 miles of Latitude part right now and longitudinally about 2000 miles west of here or anything? What could possible go wrong in the next 48-60 hours or so? ;) ;) ;)

Seriously though, this could be pretty cool to watch happen (although I think that I'll be watching it on Friday from the slopes of Mount Snow rather than my office in CT! :) )

drjeff

I'm starting to think that the main North bound highways to the mountains of New England are going to have quite a bit more traffic than usual on them late Thursday night! And i'm guessing that many a hotel in ski country will be getting plenty of calls about room availability Thursday night this morning :)

BenedictGomez

Come on now Winn, what could go wrong? ;) It's not like the 2 pieces of energy right now are basically located about 1500 miles of Latitude part right now and longitudinally about 2000 miles west of here or anything? What could possible go wrong in the next 48-60 hours or so? ;)

Yeah, yesterday the snowmobile weatherman guy I like mentioned he thinks this has some major bust potential. Which scares me, because he was by far the most accurate of any I followed last year with his constant "doom and gloom" forecasts.

Puck it

Ok. I have a FJ Cruiser so I do not need a sick day. Saturday it is then.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm starting to think that the main North bound highways to the mountains of New England are going to have quite a bit more traffic than usual on them late Thursday night! And i'm guessing that many a hotel in ski country will be getting plenty of calls about room availability Thursday night this morning :)

Nothing to see here folks, move along now. ;) Consider options like $38 Berkshire East, Butternut, Bosquet and $20 Otis Ridge. Really now, you'll have uncrowded slopes, great prices and first tracks at 11AM.