• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When does MRG 'typically' close for the season?

xwhaler

I realize this may be asking an unanswerable question given the no snowmaking but try and help me out.
We have plans to stay at the Essex Resort in VT on a nice 3 night travelzoo deal---we stayed here last season and liked it---was happy the deal came back through.
Thinking sometime late March/Early April----How late in the season would you think I have to ensure most of the mtn is open?
Or am I risking it by going any later than Mid March? I have a voucher, have never skied MRG and want to experience it.

I know we could get 2 feet of snow Mid April and it could be epic through April or they could stop the lifts Mid March when the last snow melts out. I'm looking for a general feeling on what is typical of most winters?

The tentative plan is head up Thursday night, ski Sugarbush Friday, MRG Saturday, home Sunday.

snowmonster

It's all weather dependent but I would choose to visit them as early in March as possible. They can get a snowstorm in April but you're rolling the dice there. I wouldn't plan on skiing there past mid-April.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The plan is always to go until the first weekend in April as that is the annual Shareholders meeting. Usually the mountain makes it that far. Sometimes it doesn't. Mid-April may or may not happen but I wouldn't plan on it. Anytime in March is almost always fine. First week in April is going to happen far more than it won't. I'd say go ahead and make plans up through April 7th.

xwhaler

Thanks much River. Exactly the info I was looking for. Im close to settling on wknd of March 22-24

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Reefer won passes to MRG last year at the tail end of the season and I think he made it on the last day, AND I think it was pretty hairy.

Cornhead

We might be at the Bush that weekend as well. Could come visit :)
I hold three MRG vouchers! Want to buy one? I plan on going to the Sugarbush Summit, if it goes down. My Son said he would go, he's going to see if one of his friends will go. It might be better if someone else fills the spot, we both have SB weekday vouchers from Warren Miller. We could leave early Friday, and ski Friday on our vouchers. It'll suck not being able to ski MRG while I'm so close, my boy's a darksider.

xwhaler

Bump....guess I picked a great wknd to be up there! I had some reservations about how conditions would be but it is game on mid winter again up there it looks like! :)
MRG tomorrow for the 1st time and Smuggs on Saturday :)