• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2012-2013 Closings

drjeff

Wow!? We've been having a good snow year here, has RI not?

I saw a picture posted this morning on Facebook from one of my friends who lives less than 5 miles from Yawgoo, More of her driveway was visible asphalt than snowcovered at 8AM this morning :eek: Not a big storm for them

From my brother's account (he also lives in RI, maybe 5 miles North of Yawgoo), it's been a decent RI snow year, but the 15-18" he got during the blizzard had all melted with the exception of plow banks within about 10 days.

My other guess is that this week marks the end of Yawgoo's evening school programs, and even though they do have a number of fan guns and make a bunch fo snow, next week in Southern RI is looking like a bunch of 50 degree weather and that will likely finish them off for all practical purposes :( They'll start thinking about their waterpark operations for summer then :rolleyes:

jack97

Sadly, Nashoba Valley's last day is today, 3/10. What hurts is the bump trail is in great shape. In addition, park features had plenty of snow as well, no brown outs given we had alot of natural snow melting away.

Here's what I was lapping last nite, pic taken around 5:00 pm when I got in. Damn....it had some nice lines.

NV_3_9_13.jpg

wa-loaf

Sadly, Nashoba Valley's last day is today, 3/10. What hurts is the bump trail is in great shape. In addition, park features had plenty of snow as well, no brown outs given we had alot of natural snow melting away.

Here's what I was lapping last nite, pic taken around 5:00 pm when I got in. Damn....it had some nice lines.

View attachment 8156

Wow really, we got close to 2 feet in this area? Wachusett is filled to capacity this weekend.

jack97

Wow really, we got close to 2 feet in this area? Wachusett is filled to capacity this weekend.

:(.... Nashoba was in the sweet spot of storm as well. But we have alot of melt off.

I think one of the reasons for early closings is that NV is heavily dependent on racing, learning and school programs. Once those obligations are fulfilled, they have to rely on day visits. And lets face it, the place gets old quick if you just stay on the groomed trails.

In addition, they have to transition to other programs they have year round. BTW, I was really surprised on there layout for Halloween, they went big for that event.

wa-loaf

:(.... Nashoba was in the sweet spot of storm as well. But we have alot of melt off.

I think one of the reasons for early closings is that NV is heavily dependent on racing, learning and school programs. Once those obligations are fulfilled, they have to rely on day visits. And lets face it, the place gets old quick if you just stay on the groomed trails.

In addition, they have to transition to other programs they have year round. BTW, I was really surprised on there layout for Halloween, they went big for that event.

The Sunset Tiki Bar is fun in the summer. Get there early and bring your kids. They can swim in the pond (with lifeguard) while you drink at the bar. There's a volley ball net set up and a bunch of yard games as well. Usually some kind of live music later in the evening.

dlague

Bradford and Blue Hils look like they may be closed but do nt want to admit it - they are closed today through Friday with a wait and see for the weekend. My guess the rain tomorrow will be the deciding factor!

Pats Peak has stopped operation at night Monday-Wednesday!

jack97

How is Nashoba about earning turns? 5 minutes from my house it doesn't seem right that they have tons of snow and they are done?

I was tempted to ask the liftie about hiking up but didn't. According to their web site, they may reopen next weekend; 3/16 & 3/17.

Its a good place if I you like bumps or want to try them out. Next season, try it out after a good snow dump. They have a couple of patrollers and the ssd can still make old school quick short turns. This leaves a nice formation for several good lines for the length of the run.

I like the place for night skiing, the place has a different vibe and reminds me of when I first learn how to ski.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
When is wawa scheduled to close? This late midseason for me has been brutal. My wife picked up tutoring M - R so no night skiing for me and I swear every single weekend has had some sort of event / function. WTH. AT least I'll be at Sugarbush next weekend!!!!