• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic, 1/3/2014

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Est 10-12", but very compressed and grippy. Felt heavy, (odd). Rather cold, could have used some wax. The testosterone-laden crew had pretty much chopped up the goods by 10:30AM. They pretty much trashed the place ;) left chop and were gone by 1pm.

West side was mostly open. Black was lift was running - I understand Red is waiting for a drive shaft replacement. This makes is very difficult for the "easiest way down" skiers to return to the black lift. You either have to pole a lot, or take off your gear and walk.

Magic is back in play - mid winter conditions. Watch out for the water bars - they are deep and exposed. I got my skis "instant iced" once.

Talisman and Sorcerer were sweet, lots of chopped pow, but will definitely give you (me) a workout. Green Line and Phoenix undiscovered trails of the day.

No wind at all, until about 2 pm, when a light to moderate wind (top only) began to make small drifts.
Thanks to the low temps, I felt like I had the trails entirely to myself. :)

IMG_4998.jpg

IMG_4996.jpg

IMG_4995.jpg

They did a nice job on the groomers.
IMG_5005.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5003.jpg
    IMG_5003.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 224

jaysunn

Awesome, @billski. Have you ever tried that rub on wax when snow conditions like this are had. I have never, but I hear its useful. Anyone have some advice for days when the snow is slow. I mean I have had a fresh ski shop wax and I still feel like I am not moving.

xwhaler

What a difference from Monday when it was 1 windblown groomer down trick and show off......glad to see they are back in the game.
Any word in the lodge how long red is down for? Green Line is a great gem on days like that....we'll be back end of February maybe in 3 wks also though

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

MadMadWorld

What a difference from Monday when it was 1 windblown groomer down trick and show off......glad to see they are back in the game.
Any word in the lodge how long red is down for? Green Line is a great gem on days like that....we'll be back end of February maybe in 3 wks also though

Green Line seems like a terrible option in these conditions....light snow and little base is a great opportunity to core shot your ski! Going to try to get out there this Thursday for the $15 deal!

xwhaler

I was referring to the fact that green line is usually one of the last trails to get tracked out on a storm day......nothing at Magic other than the 1 snowmaking route had base before this storm so figure they were all in the same boat

MadMadWorld

I was referring to the fact that green line is usually one of the last trails to get tracked out on a storm day......nothing at Magic other than the 1 snowmaking route had base before this storm so figure they were all in the same boat

Oh okay sorry. Yea Green Line usually gets tracked out last.

Euler

Green Line seems like a terrible option in these conditions....light snow and little base is a great opportunity to core shot your ski! Going to try to get out there this Thursday for the $15 deal!
Based on the weather in SoVT this morning Magic is sadly likely to be back to one way down by Thursday :(

Snowlover

Est 10-12", but very compressed and grippy. Felt heavy, (odd)
I'm assuming that's because it's wind driven snow.

Honestly, the snow coverage looks terrible. Look at all the grass/branches sticking out of the snow! I really think if that place got a few snow guns and built a base, it would be a million times better. They simply don't get enough natural snowfall. They are too low of an elevation. The base is only 1150 feet. The average snowfall at that base would be comparable to the town of brattelboro.(average snowfall 60 inches)

MadMadWorld

I'm assuming that's because it's wind driven snow.

Honestly, the snow coverage looks terrible. Look at all the grass/branches sticking out of the snow! I really think if that place got a few snow guns and built a base, it would be a million times better. They simply don't get enough natural snowfall. They are too low of an elevation. The base is only 1150 feet. The average snowfall at that base would be comparable to the town of brattelboro.(average snowfall 60 inches)

I'm confused aren't you the same guy who doesn't want mountains to groom anything after a storm? You want to keep things "natural"
but apparently a few sticks is too much?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Awesome, @billski. Have you ever tried that rub on wax when snow conditions like this are had. I have never, but I hear its useful. Anyone have some advice for days when the snow is slow. I mean I have had a fresh ski shop wax and I still feel like I am not moving.
Yes, I still use the paste wax (did so at Black the week before) when I'm, unprepared. It only lasts for a couple of runs, but it makes me feel better. If you do it, try to bring your skis inside to warm up before application. It adheres better.

I was spring skiing, I think it was Bretton Woods when the snow was wet and we simply couldn't move. The ski shop did a quick hot wax for an unbelievable $5. It was great for the rest of the day. I gave the tech a $5 tip!

Snowlover

I'm confused aren't you the same guy who doesn't want mountains to groom anything after a storm? You want to keep things "natural"
but apparently a few sticks is too much?
I said they should leave most of the trails untouched.

LOL....I like skiing powder....not sticks/rocks. Rocks/dirt are "natural". Doesn't mean I want to ski them.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

I am told it would take 4-6 weeks total. But it's been a couple weeks, so, 2-4

Snowlover

Is it really that hard to put a few snowguns up and create a base that would last throughout the winter? Hell they do it in CT and it's WAY warmer down here. It's 56 degrees with a thunderstorm out as I type this

xwhaler

I am surprised Magic never put down a base on Talisman yet. The rain today will shut down all of the West Side and I'd be surprised after the freeze up if anything on the East is skiable beyond what they groom.
I think Magic at minimum should always have 2 routes from the top open if at all possible.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

It skis just fine. There are no branches. There are no rocks. It's just pucker brush. They did some mowing this year, but it grows like a wildfire. I deliberately posted those photos to illustrate that Magic is not Stratton. A couple shots of a couple trails cannot be generalized to the whole mountain. The groomers are impeccable. Squeaky snow and edgeable.

To their credit, they spent time re-grading certain slopes, knocking out rocks and other objects so that less snow is necessary to cover the slope. That will save operational money that can be used for snowmaking elsewhere.

Many skiers have become spoiled with wall to wall coverage. Rather than complaining, just move on. Magic bills itself as retro. A niche. It doesn't try to be something it can't or dosn't want to be. Much like MRG. Have you seen their slopes. It got so bad over there the main mountain didn't open until last week.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Is it really that hard to put a few snowguns up and create a base that would last throughout the winter? Hell they do it in CT and it's WAY warmer down here. It's 56 degrees with a thunderstorm out as I type this
I'd bet the CT slopes get a much higher number of skiers. Prudent operating investments need to be proportional to revenue. Snowmaking isn't cheap.

Euler

It really is that hard. It takes $$ and Magic hasn't had the $$. They seem to be trying hard to raise funds, advertise to the right demographic, and slowly rebuild the infrastructure of the hill to a sustainable level.

While I agree that Magic needs a more consistent offering of open terrain, the quality of snow on a trail that has never seen a snow gun vs. a trail that is primarily machine made snow is vastly different in my opinion. I hope Magic gets enough snowmaking to keep a couple routes always open from top to bottom, but keeps most of their terrain 100% natural. I'd much rather ski around a rock or through some grundlefloss than have the whole hill turned into the icy packed down crap that comes from the guns. Part of the magic of Magic is that its DIFFERENT from the rest of the places in the northeast.

hammer

It skis just fine. There are no branches. There are no rocks. It's just pucker brush. They did some mowing this year, but it grows like a wildfire. I deliberately posted those photos to illustrate that Magic is not Stratton. A couple shots of a couple trails cannot be generalized to the whole mountain. The groomers are impeccable. Squeaky snow and edgeable.

To their credit, they spent time re-grading certain slopes, knocking out rocks and other objects so that less snow is necessary to cover the slope. That will save operational money that can be used for snowmaking elsewhere.

Many skiers have become spoiled with wall to wall coverage. Rather than complaining, just move on. Magic bills itself as retro. A niche. It doesn't try to be something it can't or dosn't want to be. Much like MRG. Have you seen their slopes. It got so bad over there the main mountain didn't open until last week.
Ragged had pucker brush on the natural trails I skied on yesterday. Have learned that it's not an issue. Went to Magic after a 12" dump and there was plenty of the same on the trails, didn't affect the skiing at all. Just expect to see it when skiing natural in this part of the country.