• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic, 1/3/2014

Snowlover

the quality of snow on a trail that has never seen a snow gun vs. a trail that is primarily machine made snow is vastly different in my opinion. I hope Magic gets enough snowmaking to keep a couple routes always open from top to bottom, but keeps most of their terrain 100% natural. I'd much rather ski around a rock or through some grundlefloss than have the whole hill turned into the icy packed down crap that comes from the guns.
It's not just your opinion. It's FACT. Man made stuff is garbage compared to the real stuff. It turns to ice. Too bad magic isn't a little higher in elevation. That would really help.
The only reason I mention snow guns is because they have trouble opening the trails due to lack of natural snow in this part of the country. It would be nice to just lay a base early on a few trails for the natural snow to fall on. Not continuously pump snow.(which also costs $$$)

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Blowing snow to create a base is a cost, so I understand that.

What I don't understand, is the sticks and brush sticking up knee high in spots. How hard would it be to send a crew up with clippers in Oct (assuming you can't get a mower up certain trails), and trim it down as close to the ground as possible? I'm thinking specifically Heart of Magician and Talisman.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

What I don't understand, is the sticks and brush sticking up knee high in spots. How hard would it be to send a crew up with clippers in Oct (assuming you can't get a mower up certain trails), and trim it down as close to the ground as possible? I'm thinking specifically Heart of Magician and Talisman.

Sounds like a question for their Facebook site.

Snowlover

+1 on that. Also, when people take pics of that it doesn't make the place look good, therefore potentially cutting down on business in this internet age. Much better to see no sticks popping out and all snow :)

Bene288

+1 on that. Also, when people take pics of that it doesn't make the place look good, therefore potentially cutting down on business in this internet age. Much better to see no sticks popping out and all snow :)

Doesn't look good to you or people with your logic. Which is why Magic is such a special place. I think Stratton is the place for you.

Are you really concerned with a few twigs sticking up out of the snow?

It's the Northeast!

MadMadWorld

So they should be dishonest and stage pics?

slatham

St Bear, Magic had a professional team - the "Mountain Goats" - clear many of the steeper terrain that the mowers can't handle, and they mowed the rest (and some of us hit the woods). Fact is you can't get eveything, and the stuff grows like weeds (after all, thats what most of it is). One of the shots is of Vetigo, which I know got mowed but it was probably only once and probably early so some stuff remains. That's life.

I would point you to the pics from the Mount Snow trip report, where Plummet didn't look buffed like a golf green. Also, most areas have 1) snowmaking that compresses any leftover weeds and/or 2) higher skier traffic that beats it down. I prefer a few weeds vs too many skiers.....

Anyway, Magic is a different flavor of skiing, not perfect for sure and certainly not for everyone. Whatever your complaints, they are doing the best they can given the resources at hand. Personally, I'm ok with a few weeds in my foot of powder!

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
It's not so black and white. Trimming some of the twigs does not make Magic a soulless ski area anymore than wanting them trimmed means a skier can't appreciate a throwback vibe.

I'd like them trimmed so I don't chip my topsheets as much. It seems to me that there is an easy and cheap solution. Is it going to stop me from skiing there if they don't do anything about it? Absolutely not.

dlague

They do brush clearing by volunteer and make an event out of it! Otherwise they would have to pay a crew and that could be costly.