• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

RAMP skis

MadMadWorld

A vote of confidence from freeskier says something. I would recommend trying them out first. Even though the cuteness factor is an important selling point!

Hawkshot99

I carry them and have had great reviews from customers.
Hand made in Park city with mostly american supplies.
I have not skied the chickadee, but have skied the Woodpecker many times. I would describe them as quite damp. I do not get much feadback from whats going on under my feet. They held a very good edge on semi firm conditions. I wiuld say the ski felt like alot of K2's I have skied(damp, but able to be skied hard and hold a good edge).
I am heading out to the factory begining of March for a tour and to test some skis. I am very excited.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

bzrperfspec77

I have the Groundhogs (100mm underfoot) and love them. Obviously not the best carving ski... Either way, totally different from what you are looking at. I bought my brother the kumoniwannaskiya's and he is a beginner/intermediate skier at best and had a blast on them. These will be more similar to the chickadee's. I have not had a chance to ski on them yet but hope to soon.

I really like the brand. USA made and the company itself seems like a small business that enjoys what they are doing and aren't just in it for the money (obviously its a business and money is involved...) I ordered mine without trying them and couldn't be happier. The customer service is awesome and I was able to score free bindings, poles and free shipping. They always have promotions so look for that.

If you look closely, all of the MRG mountain reports are from a guy ripping the groundhogs.

JimG.

Staff member
I own the Woodpeckers (90mm underfoot) and I love them. A true one ski quiver for the east coast.

MadMadWorld

Tested a couple out today at MRG. I liked their potential I just don't think it was the right conditions to fall in love.

JimG.

Staff member
Groundhog and Beaver

I'm itching to try the Groundhog, more for soft snow and powder conditions. I want to demo the Peacepipe (110mm) too.

You would have enjoyed the Woodpeckers in today's snow. Surprisingly quick and grippy skis.

MadMadWorld

I'm itching to try the Groundhog, more for soft snow and powder conditions. I want to demo the Peacepipe (110mm) too.

You would have enjoyed the Woodpeckers in today's snow. Surprisingly quick and grippy skis.

Put the Groundhog through the ringer. Lots of play in the bumps. Almost felt like I was bouncing from one mogul to the next (which I loved). Handled well on Fall Line in some of the wind drifts. Really nice ski in Variable conditions. The one knock on it was it really did not like hard pack/granular conditions. Lots of chatter at higher speeds and I really had to throw my weight over them to rein them in. I will say though on a PP groomer like Upper Antelope they skied amazing. As soon as you get on soft groom they just want to run and it's really effortless to put them on rail in those conditions. I'm definitely going to try them again and I will take out the Woodpeckers on your advice!

bzrperfspec77

Put the Groundhog through the ringer. Lots of play in the bumps. Almost felt like I was bouncing from one mogul to the next (which I loved). Handled well on Fall Line in some of the wind drifts. Really nice ski in Variable conditions. The one knock on it was it really did not like hard pack/granular conditions. Lots of chatter at higher speeds and I really had to throw my weight over them to rein them in. I will say though on a PP groomer like Upper Antelope they skied amazing. As soon as you get on soft groom they just want to run and it's really effortless to put them on rail in those conditions. I'm definitely going to try them again and I will take out the Woodpeckers on your advice!

I couldn't agree more with your feelings on the groundhogs.

JimG.

Staff member
The way you describe the Groundhogs is how I imagine they would ski. Definitely interested in the Peacepipe too.

The Woodpeckers are more compliant on hardpack and frozen granular, even ice. You don't have to ask twice to make them turn, they dive right into the next turn. I first demoed them on such a day at Jiminy. I decided I would debunk the theory that wider rockered skis would be any good on ice and wound up buying a pair on the spot instead.

MadMadWorld

The way you describe the Groundhogs is how I imagine they would ski. Definitely interested in the Peacepipe too.

The Woodpeckers are more compliant on hardpack and frozen granular, even ice. You don't have to ask twice to make them turn, they dive right into the next turn. I first demoed them on such a day at Jiminy. I decided I would debunk the theory that wider rockered skis would be any good on ice and wound up buying a pair on the spot instead.

I was a little disappointed the Groundhog wasn't better on HP and FG considering it has a flat tail I thought it would give me a little more than it showed but oh well. There are definitely some rockered skis that can do well on ice but it's mostly skis that have only a rockered tip.

JimG.

Staff member
I was a little disappointed the Groundhog wasn't better on HP and FG considering it has a flat tail I thought it would give me a little more than it showed but oh well. There are definitely some rockered skis that can do well on ice but it's mostly skis that have only a rockered tip.

Tips on the Woodpecker have a 35% rocker, tails only 15%. This is not a GS ski by any means...but it does well if you keep your turn radius short.