• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Greek Peak High Speed Quad?

While procrastinating at work I just navigated to Greek Peak's trail map and saw that they have an Express Quad now? Is that for real? Has anyone here ridden it? Thoughts?

Cornhead

Yeah, it's a high speed quad as much as their fake rock covered pizza oven is producing the "brick oven" pizza they're advertising.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Rambo

Some say, that when the drive motor is fully broken in, that they will be able to crank it up faster. Ha Ha

Rambo

Well here's a pic of the "Express" (fixed grip) Quad with a loading conveyor.
Think it cost about 2 million.
gp122813pzz 012.jpg

Mapnut

Note that the double chair on the right seems to be fully loaded although the line for the new quad is short. That's not what you normally see at a high-speed lift.

Rambo

Anyways the new Dopplemayr fixed grip Quad is only being run slightly faster than that old 40 year old Hall double lift in the pic to the right. Seems one reason that they don't run it faster is smaller kids getting off it at the top. If you don't get off that chair at the exact right point - you are up over the down ramp, the chair dumps you out and immeadiately turns around the upper bullwheel - potentially clobbering a late exiting rider in the head... ouch. I best get a helmet. Also someone told me that New York State regulations have a minimum designated time interval that is required between chairs on a fixed grip ski lift (I don't remember the time: it was like 5 or 7 seconds between loading chairs). But when I researched the required time interval between chairs it seems like it is left up to the Designer of the lift to determine the parameters of how fast the fixed grip lift can be safely operated. Seems the price of the Quad was 2.2 million.

Last edited:

Cornhead

Anyways the new Dopplemayr fixed grip Quad is only being run slightly faster than that old 40 year old Hall double lift in the pic to the right. Seems one reason that they don't run it faster is smaller kids getting off it at the top. If you don't get off that chair at the exact right point - you are up over the down ramp, the chair dumps you out and immeadiately turns around the upper bullwheel - potentially clobbering a late exiting rider in the head... ouch. I best get a helmet. Also someone told me that New York State regulations have a minimum designated time interval that is required between chairs on a fixed grip ski lift (I don't remember the time: it was like 5 or 7 seconds between loading chairs). But when I researched the required time interval between chairs it seems like it is left up to the Designer of the lift to determine the parameters of how fast the fixed grip lift can be safely operated. Seems the price of the Quad was 2.2 million.
Sounds like the voice of experience.:wink: You are right though, they did screw up the off ramp. You and I always take lift one when it's running instead of the "Visions Express Quad", it stops a lot less. I can't imagine them increasing the speed of the quad without doing something to straighten out the issues with the unloading ramp, it stops too often as it is now.

How much would it have cost them to put in a detachable chair there? I know there are some arguments to be made about it not being worth it for only 800' vertical, but on non-crowded days I feel like it would at least allow you to get more runs in. I am not saying that I would *want* go get more runs in, but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbedle

Did you ever think that its a great thing that these guys did buying this place out of bankruptcy to keep it open. Be happy that you have a new lift and not the old one and stop acting like you run the place. So much more goes into running a ski resort than how many runs you, as an expert, can get in on one day. Just saying, but it drives me nuts to see people joke or make comments about how these resort run, and not have any experience is actually dealing with the finacial issues that ski resort have t work with every day.

Cornhead

Did you ever think that its a great thing that these guys did buying this place out of bankruptcy to keep it open. Be happy that you have a new lift and not the old one and stop acting like you run the place. So much more goes into running a ski resort than how many runs you, as an expert, can get in on one day. Just saying, but it drives me nuts to see people joke or make comments about how these resort run, and not have any experience is actually dealing with the finacial issues that ski resort have t work with every day.

Yes, I'm grateful they didn't go belly up, looks like Snow Ridge might. As a season pass holder at GP for the last twenty years, I'll gripe as much as I please, thank you. There's no place like home, or you always hurt the one you love. Rambo isn't your alter ego, is it?

Cornhead

No, Rambo is not my alter ego. Sorry to come off so pig headed.

Inside joke, no offense intended, I would've been really bummed if GP had shuttered, I would've had to bite the bullet and ponied up for an Elk pass, $753, over double Greek, or Song, adding 30 miles of driving. I was sorry to hear Snow Ridge is for sale, I skied 5 days there, all powder days, for $15 a pop, tough to beat that.

The new owners are a breath o.f fresh air, they both grew up skiing GP. The ski end of the operations has been neglected for years while millions were spent across the road. It's great to see some improvements on the hill. I do think they've been a little misleading in their advertisement of the new lift...and their pizza.;)

Last edited:

mbedle

Again, really sorry - I typically don't get that fired up. Anyway, I will give you that it is a little misleading to call it an express lift. But, thats nothing new in the ski industry.