• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Three Places you intend to visit this year that you haven't yet!

dlague

I have the Fox44 card, but that's not the reason I listed it.

My reason is due to all the positive comments I've read on here about it being pretty empty on Saturdays and supposedly having great tree skiing.

We planned on skiing there last year but never made it. We had better options and January was not optimal when we planned on going there. In our case it would have been because of the Fox 44 card.

Website
www.nebackcountry.blogspot.com
Just to mix things up a little, here are three of the backcountry spots I've been meaning to visit:

attachment.php
"Lincoln's Chin" (NH)

attachment.php

Unnamed slide (near Charlemont, MA)

attachment.php

Unnamed drainage basin (NH)

Also wanting to check out this slackcountry in Southern NH:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-11-07 15.55.27.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-11-07 15.55.27.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 240
  • Screenshot 2014-11-07 15.47.55.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-11-07 15.47.55.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 239
  • Screenshot 2014-02-12 11.07.12.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-02-12 11.07.12.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 240
  • Screenshot 2014-11-07 15.53.29.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-11-07 15.53.29.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 238

catsup948

That unnamed slide in Charlemont is on my list too. I'm surprised I haven't skied it yet, I live 10 miles from there. There is an amazingly steep powerline with great access no more than 10 minutes from there, probably why I haven't skied it yet. :)

prsboogie

Crotched
Magic
Wildcat

Would love to hit Smuggs, bush and jay but unlikely this season.

4aprice

I have done the chin. Bottom of it is a little sketchy. is the slack country the old Crotch?

Definitely the old Crotched East. One I wouldn't mind seeing open again. The interesting thing in that photo is the visible power line on the right. When I skied there back in the early 80's (when both east and west were open) it always looked tempting but we never did it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

abc

This reminds me I've always wanted to hit the Thunderbolt trail. But it's very much condition dependent so I'm not sure I'll get to it this year. Or for that matter, ANY year. It'll happen when it happens.

KD7000

I'm saving my nickels this season for a handful of overnight stays/ ski all day / drive home trips to a few places in northern New England. These have always been beyond my usual day trips, and I consider it to be inexcusable that I haven't ever been:
Saddleback
Sunday River
Jay Peak

dlague

I'm saving my nickels this season for a handful of overnight stays/ ski all day / drive home trips to a few places in northern New England. These have always been beyond my usual day trips, and I consider it to be inexcusable that I haven't ever been:
Saddleback
Sunday River
Jay Peak

Good list!

Well we have sealed out fate ourselves with some guaranteed new - Sugarloaf, Lake Louise, Sunshine Village, Norquay - down payments have been made for those two trips. We have a early season comp for SR, been there but - Black Mountain of ME is close so may pay a visit there too!

Website
www.nebackcountry.blogspot.com
I have done the chin. Bottom of it is a little sketchy. is the slack country the old Crotch?

Bingo. The sat photo is a little dated so the question is whether the stuff has filled in. Which way did you approach Lincoln's Chin? Over the ridge from Franconia or up from Lincoln?

That unnamed slide in Charlemont is on my list too. I'm surprised I haven't skied it yet, I live 10 miles from there. There is an amazingly steep powerline with great access no more than 10 minutes from there, probably why I haven't skied it yet.

I've seen that powerline (and the one next to it) and wondered if they had decent skiing. Let me know if you ski that middle slide. I'm wondering if it is possible to ski the woods above it too.

Let me know when you are game for #1. Look at it almost every day, but haven't ventured in on skis.

You thinking of the slides on the East or West face of Lincoln..? The one posted there is the East side. I'm thinking of doing an approach from Lincoln. Either a long two days or a three day trip.

I would love to ski Katahdin again. It's been way too long. That place is unbelievable!

That's on my list. Missed out on an opening on the annual AMC trip a few years back. I've regretted it ever since.

Smellytele

Bingo. The sat photo is a little dated so the question is whether the stuff has filled in. Which way did you approach Lincoln's Chin? Over the ridge from Franconia or up from Lincoln?
We actually climbed up the throat from the notch. Then skied down. My climbing buddies wanted to climb and I wanted to do both and talked them into skiing it as well.

Tin

The Crotched East area isn't worth the trip and needs A LOT of snow. The old lift lines and "Dipsy Doodle" to the far right were fun but you'll need some PTEX after. I skied it after the 29" from Nemo and still needed some core shots. I would stick to the back and side areas. I'm sure the cold weather trimming crew up there has cleared even more off the far West Ledges.

xlr8r

Magic, This should happen this year, as I have a Stratton pass so I will be in the area, and have the VT ski 3 pass to burn.

Stowe, Could possibly go there with my VT ski 3 pass, but I think the chances of it happening this season are <50%

Blue Hills, High chance of this happening as I now work with someone who volunteers there. Considering I no longer have a Wawa pass, I am inclined to finally try Big Blue for once.