• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

where are the Bumps in Maine?

pedro

can anyone help? what ski area in Maine has the best bump run?
thanks,
pedro

salsgang

Probably a bit early for pure bump runs to be shaping up? Regardless - What Xwhaler says. I also find Family Secret at Saddleback to get Volkswagon Sized bumps mid season. Peachy's Peril at Saddleback is good too.

skiMEbike

My votes would be....

Bubblecuffer,
Winters Way,
Ripsaw

all at Sugarloaf...I'll report back tomorrow with some first hand experience.

pedro

Thanks,
There was nothing to speak of at the river as of yesterday. Pretty disappointing that they don't have even one trail dedicated to bumps anymore!
Pedro

SkiFanE

Thanks,
There was nothing to speak of at the river as of yesterday. Pretty disappointing that they don't have even one trail dedicated to bumps anymore!
Pedro

Its a little early for a dedicated bump run. They usually have some, just been tough weather cycle for those trails to open. I was there this weekend, didn't get to aurora, but got my bump fix on risky. I can't say how they compare to what's mentioned but the uppercut/crossbo/lockeline is a fave, as well as downdraft, shockwave, 3D and lots of glades. SR does not really believe in bumps, lmao, but I ski 60 days there and always find some bumps. In Nov I had a couple of great spring-like bump days. They do have lots of trails where there a good bumpy edge.

bigbog

Didn't get to any of the Loaf's bump trails Sunday Pedro...
Sugarloaf has nice dry pow/pp. I didn't dare try Cuffer, Winters Way, Ripsaw...etc. After ~5-6 seasons of inactivity I spent the morning trying to recover muscle memory in carving a turn;-)...after leaving...mind finally realized that static hips kept me on the lower mountain with the kiddies...

Edd

Its a little early for a dedicated bump run. They usually have some, just been tough weather cycle for those trails to open. I was there this weekend, didn't get to aurora, but got my bump fix on risky. I can't say how they compare to what's mentioned but the uppercut/crossbo/lockeline is a fave, as well as downdraft, shockwave, 3D and lots of glades. SR does not really believe in bumps, lmao, but I ski 60 days there and always find some bumps. In Nov I had a couple of great spring-like bump days. They do have lots of trails where there a good bumpy edge.

They have all the terrain in the world to properly cultivate intermediate bumps and they routinely blow it off. It's an afterthought for them, at best.

Tempest is not a great place to learn bumps due to pitch. They had something going with the right side of Dreamaker years ago but that seemed to go away. Bretton Woods blows them away for intermediate bumps only because SR allows it. Bad move.

nanjil

My votes would be....

Bubblecuffer,
Winters Way,
Ripsaw

all at Sugarloaf...I'll report back tomorrow with some first hand experience.

skied today 14th. winters way and bubble cuffers were scratchy with blue ice in spots. we need another layer of powder.
downdraft and shockwave when they are open are good at the river. they have not opened it even though downdraft has lots of snow

SkiFanE

They have all the terrain in the world to properly cultivate intermediate bumps and they routinely blow it off. It's an afterthought for them, at best.

Tempest is not a great place to learn bumps due to pitch. They had something going with the right side of Dreamaker years ago but that seemed to go away. Bretton Woods blows them away for intermediate bumps only because SR allows it. Bad move.
Yup...a big shame. But I'm not sure dedicated bump runs fit their "model"....I'm tired of bitching about it, and just ski whatever moguls I can find. But you're especially correct about the intermediate - they don't have much except if it's built up over the day - sometimes AMex will stay bumpy on right - but they groomed that over the weekend. I also think their ski patrol must be kinda wimpy...a natural trail that was open Saturday they closed for Sunday...when it had 2" of dust on it...we got there and couldn't figure out why...so told my 9yo son "I never think it's a good idea to break the rules...but this time we're going to"..hehe.... That was a good intermediate bump run too...even if you did go down it and were 'over your head'...not like you couldn't get out alive.

skiMEbike

Skied Sugarloaf today...WOW !! These are incredible early season conditions right now. Bumps are plentiful and bountiful with mid winter coverage. Everything south of Spillway XC is open with the exception of Nitro (& amazingly they are opening Bracket Basin tomorrow). Hit up Bubblecuffer, W. Way, Boomauger, Sheerboom, Dbl Bitter, and a little bit of woods. All in very good conditions. The little bit of crust/ice encountered on the bumps was generally localized to the tops of the steeper bump runs (Bcuffer & WWay), but barely even a nuisance.

Smellytele

Skied Sugarloaf today...WOW !! These are incredible early season conditions right now. Bumps are plentiful and bountiful with mid winter coverage. Everything south of Spillway XC is open with the exception of Nitro (& amazingly they are opening Bracket Basin tomorrow). Hit up Bubblecuffer, W. Way, Boomauger, Sheerboom, Dbl Bitter, and a little bit of woods. All in very good conditions. The little bit of crust/ice encountered on the bumps was generally localized to the tops of the steeper bump runs (Bcuffer & WWay), but barely even a nuisance.

I Love SL and Bracket Basin but they need to do something about the entrance to it

salsgang

Awesome!!! Thanks for the report...

skiMEbike

what's wrong with the entrance to Bracket? What would you do to improve it?

I think I can relate to what ST is referring to...I assume he's talking about the entry under the "massive" archway/sign that looks so inviting to the wanna-be glade skiers & literally 20 yards into the glade you are forced into a couple of tight narrow turns that if you stop you find yourself perched on the side of the hill like a lost mountain goat....All it takes is a few timid skiers at the beginning of the entrance to do that & then it turns into a cluster f@*!.... My approach don't stop until you get beyond that or enter above (from the backside when you can) or slightly below the entrance you can enter to avoid that section too.

deadheadskier

Staff member
gotcha

Only skied out there a few times and crowding / choke points hadn't been an issue. My issue with BB is the return, not the entrance. Would love to see a surface lift or something that brings you back to the base of King Pine. That way you don't have to be worried about cutting left back to KP and could take longer fall line runs without ending up in the condos by accident.

Smellytele

I think I can relate to what ST is referring to...I assume he's talking about the entry under the "massive" archway/sign that looks so inviting to the wanna-be glade skiers & literally 20 yards into the glade you are forced into a couple of tight narrow turns that if you stop you find yourself perched on the side of the hill like a lost mountain goat....All it takes is a few timid skiers at the beginning of the entrance to do that & then it turns into a cluster f@*!.... My approach don't stop until you get beyond that or enter above (from the backside when you can) or slightly below the entrance you can enter to avoid that section too.

Yes I try not to stop and try to stay as high as I can to get out as far as I can. People see the roots and rocks and stop turning it into a CF.

skiMEbike

gotcha

Only skied out there a few times and crowding / choke points hadn't been an issue. My issue with BB is the return, not the entrance. Would love to see a surface lift or something that brings you back to the base of King Pine. That way you don't have to be worried about cutting left back to KP and could take longer fall line runs without ending up in the condos by accident.

As much as I ski the Loaf....I have not been as "high" on BB as much as maybe others have for the reason you noted, and more importantly I think there are so many other glades that I'd rather ski. Personally I am not a fan of traversing/hiking into the outreaches of BB only to get two steep sections/"cliff bands" & then having to traverse back to hopefully get to the bottom of KPine. While I enjoy the glade very much, IMO it's a bit hyped up in terms of what you get "for the work"....Anyways it spreads out the traffic & keeps other glades fresh.