• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hickory Anyone??

Ski Till I Die

Website
www.skitillidie.com
Hahahaha literally JUST got an email from Hickory about an info sesh this Sunday to talk about the club and its future... that was something:

Greetings,
It's snowing again here in the North Country and Hickory is experiencing some of its best conditions in years! We hope you might consider joining us at Hickory this coming Sunday at 4pm in the Hickory base lodge for an informational session about the club. Complimentary apres-ski snacks and refreshments will be served (including the adult variety for those over 21).
Stop in and learn a little about how the club will be working to secure a bright future for Hickory and how you can get involved. We hope to see you on the hill this weekend and in the lodge for a great apres-ski on Sunday.
Best regards,
Hickory Ski Center

Cornhead

I was there for the first time last Saturday, very cool place, very cool vibe, like stepping into a time machine, with your modern gear, and getting out in the 50's. The terrain is awesome too, not super steep, but gnarly nonetheless, the place is a rock garden. It did ski great with a couple feet, but I was glad I swapped my skis for my rock skis after a couple runs.

It is tough not being able to rest on the way up the hill. Do bring some hydration. I'm 53, a bit overweight, but active and fairly fit. Hickory kicked my ass, made it from 9 - 2. Probably should've taken a nap on the 200 mile journey home, but I didn't. I will go back again, Hickory is one of the coolest places I've ever skied.

Ski Till I Die

Website
www.skitillidie.com
I was there for the first time last Saturday, very cool place, very cool vibe, like stepping into a time machine, with your modern gear, and getting out in the 50's. The terrain is awesome too, not super steep, but gnarly nonetheless, the place is a rock garden. It did ski great with a couple feet, but I was glad I swapped my skis for my rock skis after a couple runs.

It is tough not being able to rest on the way up the hill. Do bring some hydration. I'm 53, a bit overweight, but active and fairly fit. Hickory kicked my ass, made it from 9 - 2. Probably should've taken a nap on the 200 mile journey home, but I didn't. I will go back again, Hickory is one of the coolest places I've ever skied.

Awesome... just awesome.

Glad you got to give it a ride!! I need to convince some of my buddies to ski it with me... I think this weekend might actually be perfect for it.

Abominable

I've been snowboarding for twenty years, and any kind of ground lift still makes me cringe. Loved your report though, and might have to check it out. I remember those spring loaded pomas from when I was a kid, you could get the lifty to sort of catapult you as you take off (probably worked better when I was 100 lbs).

drjeff

I've been snowboarding for twenty years, and any kind of ground lift still makes me cringe. Loved your report though, and might have to check it out. I remember those spring loaded pomas from when I was a kid, you could get the lifty to sort of catapult you as you take off (probably worked better when I was 100 lbs).

Poma 2 there, at least back when I last rode it in the 80's, had more than enough pop to launch me and my then at that time with gear on 230lb or so self, a good 10 to 15 feet before my skis finally touched back down onto the poma line path!! :eek: It's almost a "test" to see if one does or doesn't belong on the tougher upper mountain terrain that is off Poma 2 than the easier terrain off Poma 1

Hickory in a weird sort of way, makes say Magic or Mad River Glen, seem like a "modern" resort! It's really old school skiing like it was before many of us AZ regulars were born! Cool stuff!

Cornhead

Poma 2 there, at least back when I last rode it in the 80's, had more than enough pop to launch me and my then at that time with gear on 230lb or so self, a good 10 to 15 feet before my skis finally touched back down onto the poma line path!! :eek: It's almost a "test" to see if one does or doesn't belong on the tougher upper mountain terrain that is off Poma 2 than the easier terrain off Poma 1

Hickory in a weird sort of way, makes say Magic or Mad River Glen, seem like a "modern" resort! It's really old school skiing like it was before many of us AZ regulars were born! Cool stuff!

Yep, Poma 2 had no trouble launching my 240lb fat ass off the ground. I'd occasionally leave the ground after the mid station on Poma 1 too until I got the hang of it. Highly recommend Hickory, must be skied after a storm since there's no snow making, hasn't been a problem this season as they've been picking up 10-12" weekly while they're closed. Have fun if you can get there, you won't forget it.

Last edited:

St. Jerry

Will be there tomorrow with my 6-year old son. Me: Blue Jacket. My son: Green jacket.
Say hello!