• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dispicable people

C-Rex

Despicable people

http://snowbrains.com/snowboarder-avalanche-gear-dies-utah-avalanche-today/

I saw this article on Facebook yesterday. Sad news. But what was even more sad, and angering, to me were the insensitive and disgusting comments attached to it. The kid who died, at 21 years old, had ventured out of bounds and then it seemed he realized his mistake. He and his friend started to head back when the slide was triggered and one of them was caught in it. Trauma appeared to be the cause of death.

I agree that going out of bounds, especially in that area, without avalanche gear was just plain stupid. That poor judgment cost the kid his life. However, some scumbags were saying he deserved what he got and things to that effect. What is wrong with these people? The only people who deserve such a horrible death are those that maliciously do terrible things to others. Making a poor decision is not malicious, it's just tragic.

Last edited:

dlague

With recent snow out west - avalanche danger is on the rise. They were reporting that on the news last night - more than likely due to this story.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The male human mind is not fully developed until about age 25. Therein lies the answer.

Who is to say the commenters were under age 25?

Personally, I find such online trolling activity to be borderline sociopathic behavior.

C-Rex

I suppose. It just disgusted me. I mean, have a little compassion. This dude was barely able to drink and died just pursuing happiness.

That being said, I can understand the anger over things like this. These guys not only endangered themselves but also anyone that might have been in the slide path. They definitely had no business being out there with so many red flags flying high. People need to be made to understand that the mountains can kill you in a blink, and that just because you are on or near a resort does not mean you are safe by any stretch.

While I hate blaming anyone besides the individual for their own ignorance, I do feel that ski/snowboard movies give a false sense of safety in the back country. You see all these guys ripping powder, hucking cliffs, dodging or outrunning slides, and it gives the idea that it's not all that bad out there. They hardly ever show the work that went into getting those shots. The days of waiting after a storm, the avy pits dug, the research involved, the safety crews on hand and ready. Not to mention that those guys are taking risks that no real self respecting mountaineer would go near. They also don't show the countless times they've backed away from a slope because it was sketchy or even if someone just had a bad feeling. I give Jeremy Jones a lot of credit because his films usually talk about this kind of stuff, and the idea that rule #1 is always "Get home safe."

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Who is to say the commenters were under age 25?

Personally, I find such online trolling activity to be borderline sociopathic behavior.

Nobody. I'm with you. But I see a LOT of that in responses to news stories (those who just want to taunt and provoke), photo sites and youtube. The way the responses are written, they are generally quite juvenile.

C-Rex

They're just assholes that don't think before they speak (or type). If it were their brother or friend who died and someone commented like that they'd get all bent out of shape. Screw'em. Karma is a bitch and it'll come for them sooner or later.

SkiFanE

Unless you've been under a rock in Boston area - Curt Schilling took matters into his own hands when comments went nutty re: his 17yo daughter. HE was able to figure out in no time who these people were, and they have since been fired from jobs or kicked out of school. More people need to wake up to this - I'm sure the idiots were completely traceable if people cared to. Just one article about it: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/chi-curt-schilling-twitter-20150304-story.html

I read his original blog - good going Curt - someone needed to do this.

C-Rex

I like the trend that people are being held more accountable for what they say and do online.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I like the trend that people are being held more accountable for what they say and do online.
WSJ tried to do that when they went online. After a couple of years with few comments, they succumbed to screen names. Good idea if your boss, honey or whatever is reading. You wouldn't want them to know how you REALLY think!

AdironRider

I'm sure there are plenty of comments in poor form, but I do think it is necessary to talk about these scenarios frankly without people trying to prevents the dead's hurt feelings so to speak.

This happens 2-3 times a year in my neck of the woods, and every damn time, everyone is just like, oh so sorry, he was a great guy, etc. Which may well be true and it does indeed suck that they perished doing something they love.

But almost always, it is the result of poor decision making, just like in this case. Regardless of whether they were heading back or not, they still made a terrible decision getting into that scenario in the first place.

People are never going to learn without analyzing peoples mistakes, and threads like C-Rex's here continue the problem of just sweeping stuff under the rug in an effort to not offend anyone.

Its a problem throughout society, like every kid getting a trophy, no one wants to talk about failures, whether it be judgement that results in death, or just a loss on the playing field, people need to not get their panties in a bunch because they can't separate their emotions from thinking critically.

bdfreetuna

Unfortunately in a time when people are eager to label their political or ideological adversaries as having committed "hate speech" (because in secular humanist society “hate” is a relativistic idea), the concept of online accountability, while noble, runs up against the problem of who is holding who accountable. And under what authority?

Anonymity, as far as it can be realistically expected, plays an important role online, especially in the hashing out of potentially unpopular ideas, going against the grain of pop culture or the ruling political party. Anonymity also protects potential victims of harassment, stalking, and helps insure that "what happens on the web, stays on the web".

Accountability and anonymity both have their time and place.

Reactions to the article seem insensitive. It's interesting to see on anonymous forums / article comment sections how the fallen nature of humanity really comes to light as soon as we find ourselves behind the mask.

skiNEwhere

There's a difference between calling someone a fucking idiot that and saying they used poor judgement; it's called tact.

AdironRider

There's a difference between calling someone a fucking idiot that and saying they used poor judgement; it's called tact.

Sometimes you need to call people idiots, that was my point. Quit sugar coating it or we will continue to have the same problems of ignorance and stupid decision making in these scenarios.

deadheadskier

Staff member

+1

Some people make comments not to critique and generate objective discussion, but to create discomfort and attempt to insult. Basically online bullying.

skiNEwhere

Sometimes you need to call people idiots, that was my point. Quit sugar coating it or we will continue to have the same problems of ignorance and stupid decision making in these scenarios.

Is calling people idiots working? Nothing short of a full blown media circus will get people's attention, and that's not gonna happen.

My point is you can still get the point across without dancing on their grave.

Show of hands here, who HASN'T done something extremely dumb but gotten away with it? I'm sure the same applies to those leaving harsh comments, which makes them giant hypocrites.

AdironRider

+1

Some people make comments not to critique and generate objective discussion, but to create discomfort and attempt to insult. Basically online bullying.

I want to be clear I'm not condoning this behavior, but if someone does something stupid you should call them out on it.

Making an insult just to make yourself feel better is 12 year old behavior.