• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Misleading Info / photo's by Resorts Hunter in particulare

catskillman

I expect resorts to stretch things a bit - but I am getting really irratinted by this.

I met a friend at Hunter today, who came up due to the great photos Hunter was posting on facebook. I agreed to meet him, although I was sceptical that it would be as great as they were advertising.

I do not know where or when those photos were taken, but there was not the slight bit of resembelnce to Hunter today.

And someone inquired on facebook as to if the photo was today and the response was they did not know.

Seriously..........

Anyone else notice this type of issue????

deadheadskier

Staff member
Can you link the questionable photos?

A quick view of their page doesn't show any obvious use of photos from another mountain, but I could be missing something.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Hawkshot99

Can you link the questionable photos?

A quick view of their page doesn't show any obvious use of photos from another mountain, but I could be missing something.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
It's not that they use pics from another mtn, it's that they use pics from other dates.

A few years ago i skied Hunter on their opening day. Conditions were iffy, but I was ok with it as it was opening day. There were mandatory mud slides to connect different sections of snow on trails.

That night I came home and was looking on Facebook and see them posting pics "of opening day". The pics had tons of snow and snow on trees. 100% not that day! I called them out on it, and they kept deleting my comments.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

bushpilot

Do you have any pics of hunter today that you took and can post?

Resorts definitely spin the description a bit. Today sugarbush said:

Join us for another warm, fun day at Sugarbush (watch the snow melt down the mountain)The snow is soft and forgiving (melting away)thanks to temps in the 40's and 50's (what ski resort in their right mind would ever be thankful of temperatures in the 40's and 50's)

Sunday looks increasingly sunny and seasonably winter-like (you mean frozen and icy?)

octopus

i personally like the powder/face shot photos mountains post after a 3" storm. its the good old find 10 square feet of good snow, make a fast turn and bang! "we've got loads of pow, don't miss out!"

catskillman

It's not that they use pics from another mtn, it's that they use pics from other dates.

A few years ago i skied Hunter on their opening day. Conditions were iffy, but I was ok with it as it was opening day. There were mandatory mud slides to connect different sections of snow on trails.

That night I came home and was looking on Facebook and see them posting pics "of opening day". The pics had tons of snow and snow on trees. 100% not that day! I called them out on it, and they kept deleting my comments.

exactly - the mountain is a mess now, very very sad..... and it is pouring out. They did not make enough snow and have acknowledged that from what I understand. Rumer has it that they may make snow on Thursday, but it will only be allowed to patch holes, particulary those that show on webcams........

good luck selling those passes that allow you to ski in March......... and for next season. Honestly - they may not make it to mid March........

so so disappointing

Pez

I'm convinced they blow snow into the trees so resorts can make it look like they have more natural snow on social media posts.

I dint know about misleading, but yesterday they pulled a miracle. Way better than expected, especially early.

JimG.

Staff member
Yeah I think there have been a few hysterical reactions to the warm spell. I thought yesterday was pretty good considering.

zyk

Today was fantastic but they're losing ground fast.

Duncanator24

Do you have any pics of hunter today that you took and can post?

Resorts definitely spin the description a bit. Today sugarbush said:

Join us for another warm, fun day at Sugarbush (watch the snow melt down the mountain)The snow is soft and forgiving (melting away)thanks to temps in the 40's and 50's (what ski resort in their right mind would ever be thankful of temperatures in the 40's and 50's)

Sunday looks increasingly sunny and seasonably winter-like (you mean frozen and icy?)

You say that, but they weren't lying about the conditions. They were actually quite fun and soft to ride. Sure it's bad for the near future of the mountain since the base is clearly being destroyed. But those conditions at the Bush were extremely fun and satisfying. Sunday was like a mini-powder day in some spots. Despite the saturday night deluge of rain and 40 degree temp drop, the snow was still great the next day. Some voodoo magic but it was great!

bushpilot

You say that, but they weren't lying about the conditions. They were actually quite fun and soft to ride. Sure it's bad for the near future of the mountain since the base is clearly being destroyed. But those conditions at the Bush were extremely fun and satisfying. Sunday was like a mini-powder day in some spots. Despite the saturday night deluge of rain and 40 degree temp drop, the snow was still great the next day. Some voodoo magic but it was great!

I said: "Resorts definitely spin the description a bit." Never said they lied. They definitely did not lie.

Spin: In public relations and politics, spin is a form of propaganda, achieved through providing a biased interpretation of an event or campaigning to persuade public opinion in favor or against some organization or public figure.

They didn't lie. Did they provide a biased interpretation to persuade public opinion? Imho, yes.

Warm days are often fun and a bad day of skiing is better than a good day at work so I am going regardless. I just think it is funny how optimistic they are with reports. That said if you are writing an advertisement for something you always highlight the good. They say Coke is refreshing! Not, Coke has a lot of sugar so drink in moderation.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..

And thats why I am blocked from commenting on their Facebook posts!

dlague

Well I am not sure if this is misleading but I was looking at Facebook and while some resorts are honest about their situation (Magic) and tell it like it is, there are others like Okemo and Sugarbush that are posting pictures past or certain angles to make everything look great or at least pretty good.

Examples posted today:

So this was posted today on Sugarbush's FB page as part of a set of pictures and then they talk about the picture being from last week. But why post it today?
17015886_10155110546773384_83667583824548421_o.jpg

Or this picture of Sugarbush welcoming March - was there bluebird skies yesterday or today?
16992120_10155108438923384_4164217153080239396_o.jpg

Not wanting to pick on Sugarbush but they popped up in my feed. Others are just doing lots of marketing spin and showing snowmaking in progress. Looks like Cannon is going for it hard as well as Okemo

benski

Or this picture of Sugarbush welcoming March - was there bluebird skies yesterday or today?
View attachment 22023

Not wanting to pick on Sugarbush but they popped up in my feed. Others are just doing lots of marketing spin and showing snowmaking in progress. Looks like Cannon is going for it hard as well as Okemo

They do those weekly photo dumps. I that photo is probably from the weekend.

cdskier

Well I am not sure if this is misleading but I was looking at Facebook and while some resorts are honest about their situation (Magic) and tell it like it is, there are others like Okemo and Sugarbush that are posting pictures past or certain angles to make everything look great or at least pretty good.

Examples posted today:

So this was posted today on Sugarbush's FB page as part of a set of pictures and then they talk about the picture being from last week. But why post it today?
View attachment 22022

View attachment 22023

They posted it today because it was part of their weekly Stoke Exchange blog post. That blog post always includes pictures from the past week. They didn't hide when the pictures were from. Each picture said in the description things like "from last weekend", "from Tuesday", etc. Their snow report is honest on the conditions: "Word to the wise, bring sharp edges and good turning skills. The corduroy should have the best conditions, as the ungroomed is coated in refrozen glaze. The mountain is in full training mode, ready to challenge all of your techniques."

bushpilot

Sure does look pretty sweet right there - I would like to see the real pic from today.

I couldn't bring myself to take any. It was that bad.

They posted it today because it was part of their weekly Stoke Exchange blog post. That blog post always includes pictures from the past week. They didn't hide when the pictures were from. Each picture said in the description things like "from last weekend", "from Tuesday", etc. Their snow report is honest on the conditions: "Word to the wise, bring sharp edges and good turning skills. The corduroy should have the best conditions, as the ungroomed is coated in refrozen glaze. The mountain is in full training mode, ready to challenge all of your techniques."

But they also included this one:

IMG_8822A.jpg

"Snowing today" = a dusting that amounted to nothing and if they zoomed out about two feet you would see dirt and grass right next to that kid.