• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

thetrailboss

Staff member

All right folks, I scrambled this morning and was able to get a response from some of the characters mentioned in the article. Here their responses:

Lynch, who was then Vail’s marketing head, recalls the company receiving a ton of pushback on the strategy but was personally invested in the idea that it was the best way to convert newbies. She says she “grew up in downtown Chicago as a total city kid surrounded by skyscrapers and concrete,” and only fell in love with skiing thanks to family drives to Wilmot Mountain, 65 miles north, in Wisconsin.

"Awww, shucks, they mentioned me! That's right, I'm just a little City Gal who dreams big!"

1200x1500.jpg

“I’d be in meetings with Les, and in my head I’d go, ‘Jesus Christ, this guy is out of his mind.’ Then 10 minutes later I’d be thinking, ‘Holy shit, this guy is a genius,’” recalls Tom Chasse, the former president of Attitash under ASC. [...]

(Otten says he was building a forerunner to Vail’s model and just needed more time to prove the business.)

"Fuck yeah, I'm awesome! You all seriously missed out by being too damn impatient! You just wait to see what I am building up here!"

otten.jpg

"FUCKING BLOOMBERG IS GOING TO REGRET THIS! AFTER ALL THE THINGS I'VE DONE FOR HIM!!!!"

Rob-Katz-Vail-Resort-Winter-19.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
In all seriousness, that is a pretty damn good article that really factors in a lot of what folks here are seeing.

kendo

also enjoyed this snarky nugget . . .

“It really is inspiring whenever I’m out there when I see someone skiing with a trash bag over their jacket,” says Tim Baker, Vail’s chief operating officer for the Eastern region. “I never knew how enjoyable skiing in the rain could be.”

Dam right Tim, we unroll a new one, anytime we need one. . .

Trashbag jackie.JPG

thetrailboss

Staff member

“It really is inspiring whenever I’m out there when I see someone skiing with a trash bag over their jacket,” says Tim Baker, Vail’s chief operating officer for the Eastern region. “I never knew how enjoyable skiing in the rain could be.”

Dam right Tim, we unroll a new one, anytime we need one. . .

View attachment 60926
(He probably had to ask what a trash bag was) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

gittist

“It really is inspiring whenever I’m out there when I see someone skiing with a trash bag over their jacket,” says Tim Baker, Vail’s chief operating officer for the Eastern region. “I never knew how enjoyable skiing in the rain could be.

Done that!!! Noisy but it works as long as you don't slide off the chair lift!

thetrailboss

Staff member
This sucks
Well, when you only have about 500,000 people statewide, you only have so much money to spend on whatever. So when people want lots of programs and state funding, then the result is high taxes and high tax hikes.

We left in 2011 in large part because it was clear that those in power in the legislature were completely decoupled from reality.

2Planker

Well, when you only have about 500,000 people statewide, you only have so much money to spend on whatever. So when people want lots of programs and state funding, then the result is high taxes and high tax hikes.

We left in 2011 in large part because it was clear that those in power in the legislature were completely decoupled from reality.
All our NH neighbors are recent bail outs from VT or MA/RI for Tax purposes
"Live Free or Die" baby

BenedictGomez

This line is hilarious

I wasn't kidding when I recently said Vail's brass is completely out-of-touch with and doesn't seem to understand eastern skiing in an amost, "look how adorable they are" fashion.

They don't take it seriously. Just about every promotion you see seems to be someone from Colorado, California, etc...

BenedictGomez

Same thing, just with State of New Jersey. It was getting more and more cray-cray with each passing year. Soon they'll be telling NJ residents how many times per day they can flush the toilet. And they were getting aggressive/insane in the public schools telling your kids s**t they have NO business "teaching" them.

I didn't even care about my wife's theoretical pension, because I'm good with the maths & 100% know there's no way State of New Jersey can make all its future retirement plans whole with the financial crisis it's in, especially with all the people with....ummmm..... jobs leaving every day and getting replaced with more poor and/or illegal aliens that Trenton's enthusiastically supporting. And that's sad, because there a LOT of people only staying in NJ because they genuinely believe they're going to get a great retirement plan. That reckoning day won't be fun, give it 10 - 15 years.

Per UHAUL 2023 data (least and most moved to states).

1706823190493.png1706823239490.png

njdiver85

This line is a gem!

"But in acquiring Masshole-reachable resorts such as Attitash, Vail was also now in business with a particular type of customer who’s intensely demanding despite living in a region notorious for less glamorous conditions."

cdskier

This line is a gem!

"But in acquiring Masshole-reachable resorts such as Attitash, Vail was also now in business with a particular type of customer who’s intensely demanding despite living in a region notorious for less glamorous conditions."

There are parts of this article that really seem like they're more from an Onion article rather than a Bloomberg one...

thetrailboss

Staff member
There are parts of this article that really seem like they're more from an Onion article rather than a Bloomberg one...
That was probably the first significant article I have read from Bloomberg and honestly I felt it was well-balanced and well-done. I know that there were some comments that were interesting, and a few jokes, but overall I was impressed. There is not a lot of good real journalism done on the ski industry.

thetrailboss

Staff member
"ONION? TRY A TRASHY TABLOID! FUCKING LOSERS! DO YOU KNOW WHO IS THE MOST OFFENDED? ME! 'HEY MIKEY BLOOMBERG, NICE SKIS! BE A SHAME IF SOMETHIN' HAPPENED TO THEM!'"

rob_katz_0.jpg