• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

thetrailboss

Staff member
$16 asking price for a beer tonight at the Deer Valley World Cup Moguls. Apparently IKON rapes people on the brew pricing as well.
And I’m willing to bet that the food and beer options are garbage compared to pre-IKON. That’s what we saw in July 2022 when we went to the last DV Concert Series event. RIP Classy Deer Valley.

4aprice

Same thing, just with State of New Jersey. It was getting more and more cray-cray with each passing year. Soon they'll be telling NJ residents how many times per day they can flush the toilet. And they were getting aggressive/insane in the public schools telling your kids s**t they have NO business "teaching" them.

I didn't even care about my wife's theoretical pension, because I'm good with the maths & 100% know there's no way State of New Jersey can make all its future retirement plans whole with the financial crisis it's in, especially with all the people with....ummmm..... jobs leaving every day and getting replaced with more poor and/or illegal aliens that Trenton's enthusiastically supporting. And that's sad, because there a LOT of people only staying in NJ because they genuinely believe they're going to get a great retirement plan. That reckoning day won't be fun, give it 10 - 15 years.

Per UHAUL 2023 data (least and most moved to states).

View attachment 60931View attachment 60932
Just waiting for the entire state to implode. But the people here continue to vote for this so I have very little sympathy for them. While my escape is planned family requires a toe hold here in NJ. Just trying to make sure its something I can jettison quickly when it all falls apart.

BenedictGomez

That’s pretty much what you pay at a pro sports event nowadays.

Not at one I've ever been to, and I feel like I've been to quite a few. The Devils, for instance, charge $12, which I already thought was insane.

EDIT: I literally woke up this morning thinking about the price/sales volume economics of $16 beers.

You'd assume they have a handle on this, but I genuinely think they're losing more money in lost volume than making money via grotesque margin. And if last night was an indication, I think I'm onto something. Park City is a very wealthy town, it's Deer Valley on top of that, it's a raucous ski racing crowd, it's nighttime, and literally almost nobody was drinking save for the VIP area, but those VIP tickets came with drinks, so that doesn't count.

Last edited:

zyk

Even when they charge 11.25 for a beer...I look at it like... I'm not paying that...
But if it was 9.00.....well..I might have 2.
Pretty simple math.
At my side work we kept the price at $8 but reduced the cup size. I think it's something mentally about crossing the $10 mark. Companies promote product at $99.99 instead of $100 for a reason.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not at one I've ever been to, and I feel like I've been to quite a few. The Devils, for instance, charge $12, which I already thought was insane.

EDIT: I literally woke up this morning thinking about the price/sales volume economics of $16 beers.

You'd assume they have a handle on this, but I genuinely think they're losing more money in lost volume than making money via grotesque margin. And if last night was an indication, I think I'm onto something. Park City is a very wealthy town, it's Deer Valley on top of that, it's a raucous ski racing crowd, it's nighttime, and literally almost nobody was drinking save for the VIP area, but those VIP tickets came with drinks, so that doesn't count.
The people who knew “how” to run DV are all long gone.

thetrailboss

Staff member

"I'M STILL FUCKING PISSED OVER THIS! 'HEY MIKEY, NICE PRESIDENTIAL RUN IN 2020! YOU NEVER EVEN PLACED IN THE PRIMARIES!' YOU'RE A FUCKING LOSER!!!!!"

20141226__20141228_K6_BZ28REVUKATZp1.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member

BenedictGomez

Even when they charge 11.25 for a beer...I look at it like... I'm not paying that...
But if it was 9.00.....well..I might have 2.
Pretty simple math.

It's really not simple math though.

I think we're right that this is costing them money, but it's quote possible we're the ones who are wrong, hence my fascination.

Yes, I would have two or three beers at $8, and zero at $16. So they're losing $16-$24 on me, but for everyone who does buy just one $16 beer they're "recouping" 1/3 to 1/2 of the money they "lost" on me. The key then becomes, just how many people are buying these $16 beers, and crucially, multiple $16 beers. It seems hard for me to believe the economics of the $16 pint works given the decreased unit economics from what I'm observing in "real life", but WTH knows. You need several years of prior beer sales data, which they have, which is why one would presume they're acting rationally with the $16 pricing, but that doesn't jive with the fact I'm seeing far fewer drinkers and less people hanging out at resort apres bars than I'd expect with my own eyes.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's really not simple math though.

I think we're right that this is costing them money, but it's quote possible we're the ones who are wrong, hence my fascination.

Yes, I would have two or three beers at $8, and zero at $16. So they're losing $16-$24 on me, but for everyone who does buy just one $16 beer they're "recouping" 1/3 to 1/2 of the money they "lost" on me. The key then becomes, just how many people are buying these $16 beers, and crucially, multiple $16 beers. It seems hard for me to believe the economics of the $16 pint works given the decreased unit economics from what I'm observing in "real life", but WTH knows. You need several years of prior beer sales data, which they have, which is why one would presume they're acting rationally with the $16 pricing, but that doesn't jive with the fact I'm seeing far fewer drinkers and less people hanging out at resort apres bars than I'd expect with my own eyes.
There is ONE factor that you are not considering--we are in Utah, with a DUI limit of .05. Most folks, me included, are not going to drink more than one beer because of the Zion Police.

But you are right that they are trying to cash in on the "image" of Deer Valley and make people pay for that idea that it is somehow premium. It isn't anymore. We were quite disappointed with the DV Concert Series a couple of years ago. It was always a well-done, chill event that had good food and good drinks. But like other things IKON, it has turned into rent-a-cops harassing attendees about chair height and bringing BYOB (it USED to be BYOB), "theft" deterrence, bad food and drinks at outrageous prices, and not a fun experience.

Edgar Stern is rolling in his grave.

kingslug

Also consider that after you have 1 beer...you get a but of a buzz...and order more...
But you have to have that 1 beer to get started.
And at 16 bucks...not happening for most.

eatskisleep

This line is a gem!

"But in acquiring Masshole-reachable resorts such as Attitash, Vail was also now in business with a particular type of customer who’s intensely demanding despite living in a region notorious for less glamorous conditions."
I couldn’t believe that was a real line… but sure enough it’s there!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think the idea behind the $16 beers is that the majority of skiers are only going what, 6 days a season? Often on vacation.
When I'm on vacation or at an infrequent big concert or something, I don't really think about price. I just swipe the CC. I know I'm getting screwed.

But, as a skier with two young kids who gets out 35-40 times a year, I very much do think about it. I think we have about 18 days in and I doubt I've spent over $100 on ski resort F&B. I'll bring my own, thanks. Even on our vacation to Saddleback.

BenedictGomez

Also consider that after you have 1 beer...you get a but of a buzz...and order more...
But you have to have that 1 beer to get started.
And at 16 bucks...not happening for most.

Maybe, but I know what he's saying. Normally I'll have 2 pints and drive home, as at my sex, age, weight, tolerance, etc.... 2 pints does absolutely nothing to me. But in Utah I hand my wife the keys as they have a BAC of only .05, the lowest in the entire nation, which is literally about 2 beers. It's because almost all the politicians here creating the alcohol laws are Mormon, and have never had a drink in their life. Imagine a large panel of virgins educating people about sex, it's the same thing.

kingslug

It's why when in utah I stay right near the lifts...
I like IPA's....in PC at The Farm they have some good 8% ones for 10 bucks each...
I'll have 2...and good to go!

BenedictGomez

It's why when in utah I stay right near the lifts...
I like IPA's....in PC at The Farm they have some good 8% ones for 10 bucks each...
I'll have 2...and good to go!

The Farm is owned by Vail Resorts. My Canyons go-to is DBB = independently owned.

BG Family spend at Vail Resorts so far ex EPIC pass & youth lessons = $0.00. Surprised we've been able to keep it up so far. I think I'll eventually submit & try the meatball sub at R.P.L. though, it looks pretty good.