Sugarbush winds?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sugarbush winds?

A friend and I are planning on day-tripping to Sugarbush tomorrow on freebies from the Warren Miller film. We did this last year and the upper mountain lifts were all on wind hold all day (and then it started pouring). Forecast tomorrow is for southwest winds gusting to 45, and I'd rather not drive >3 hours to ski only the lower mountain again. From the orientation of the mountain, I would thing southwest winds to be the least potentially problematic, but I don't know the local wind patterns at all. Anyone have better wisdom to impart?

Plenty of good skiing on the lower mountain at both north & south.

That might be a problem. Depends on the exact direction, but for most of the lifts that is a left to right direction. Hard to say really. With that speed and direction, the exposed summit lifts might be affected.

S winds can impact North Lynx.

What really concerns me though are those speeds.
    Last edited by thetrailboss; Mar 10, 2013 at 6:22 PM.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by ceo View Post
    A friend and I are planning on day-tripping to Sugarbush tomorrow on freebies from the Warren Miller film.
    Make sure you each have your license on you.

Four of us used the WM freebie at Sugarbush on Friday, and they were sticklers on it. Even though 3 of us had our ID, the person who said, "it's in the car" really was made to hike back to the car and get it.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    Plenty of good skiing on the lower mountain at both north & south.
    Yeah but really who wants to drive 3+ hours to ski only lower mountain terrain at any ski resort? And Sugarbush best terrain North and South is def upper mountain (Heaven's Gate, Castlerock and the summit pod at Mt Ellen) IMO.

Damn, looks like you might have gotten screwed:

Super Bravo Express is currently on windhold so we have decided to open up Valley House Double in the meantime. Heaven's Gate and North Lynx are on windhold at Lincoln Peak. Summit, GMX, North Ridge, Sunny D, and Slide Brook are on windhold at Mt. Ellen.
    Those winds look to be impacting many more lifts than normal.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Yeah but really who wants to drive 3+ hours to ski only lower mountain terrain at any ski resort? And Sugarbush best terrain North and South is def upper mountain (Heaven's Gate, Castlerock and the summit pod at Mt Ellen) IMO.
    Not saying the upper mountains doesn't have good terrain. I just said there is plenty of good terrain on the lower mountain at both areas. I could easily spend the day skiing the trail pod off the Valley House chair alone if there's good natural snow. Steins & the Mall are arguably the two best runs on the mountain not to mention Egan Woods. There are some fun trails off Gatehouse too. Castlerock is pretty sheltered & rarely put on wind hold. It is accessible from Gatehouse.

At Mt. Ellen there are several runs down from mid-mountain that are quite challenging. Under the chair & to the left & right are some of my favorite runs (forget the names). There are also some great cruisers. It can be a drag skiing down to the base every run but the chair zips along quite nicely. Inverness also offers several good runs. I wouldn't have a problem skiing only the lower mountain at either area. Of course it's nicer if the whole mountain is open.

edit: I see GMX at Mt. Ellen is on wind hold. That does limit your options.

skied at sugarbush yesterday...very good and we noticed the winds on mt. ellen were very noticeable. nothing on south peak but clearly a SW flow definitely appeared to impact mt. ellen more.

Looks like Mount Ellen is completely closed.

Also looks like the winds are impacting the upper portion of Super Bravo Express (the very top is exposed to the S) and Heaven's Gate.

During my years at Sugarbush I was surprised by just how much wind was a real problem.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

My friend was saying they are closing all natural snow trails for the week for "preservation" as well?

Thread Information