• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2013 King of Spring - Who will it be?

Who will be 2013 King of Spring

• Total voters

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Looks like we're getting a permit a week late for SS--last day of the Jet is being pushed to 4-28. If we have snow thereafter, we'll be inclined to get creative. This is Killington's game to lose for sure. Good on em.

Jay has already said they are closing 4/21. I'm thinking 5/5 for the loaf and after what I saw at K last weekend and the much more aggressive approach of the new GM I'm thinking 5/19 ......maybe even longer

4aprice

How much are killington spring tickets? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to get a spring pass there, might go four or so times depending on when they close.

I bought mine back when they went on sale and have used it already so its really almost paid off. 2 days this coming weekend and it will be paid off so anything after is gravy. Saw the schedule of closings and the only thing I would love to see different is K1 make it to the weekend of the 21st.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Rogman

Killington. Everyone else is vying for second place. Mike Solimano has expressed a willingness to try for June, all he needs is a deep base (check!), customers, and a little luck with the weather, i.e. a cool spring. On top of that their spring pass looks like a great deal ($199), BMMC is back this weekend, and events through every weekend through May 5th.

dlague

Looks like we're getting a permit a week late for SS--last day of the Jet is being pushed to 4-28. If we have snow thereafter, we'll be inclined to get creative. This is Killington's game to lose for sure. Good on em.

We chase JP spring snow every year and have really enjoyed it! Steve I remember a FB post you made when Jay was open longer than Sugarloaf! It's not about being the King of Spring it is about letting your skiers ski as long a possible! It is about having fun! That being said mother's day will not be the same this year! Two year's ago we were skiing Haynes in the rain on Mother's Day! It was still awesome! Looking forward to the new Stateside!

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
I just voted...if Killington is really going for it as long as there is snow on the ground, regardless of the competition (other New England areas), they'll win it. But like everyone is joining the Kmart bandwagon, I'll vote for the ski area in the list above that has been the most consistent last to close: Mont St-Sauveur.

Here is the last blog piece on the Eastern Closing Thread from last May my blog, Ski Mad World.

http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012/05/10/cest-fini-eastern-closing-2012-part-last/

MSS last day vs the others in the previous 7 seasons.

Previous closing dates versus the best of the rest
2006: April 30 (3rd) – Bretton Woods May 5 (1st) & Killington May 1 (2nd)
2007: May 6 (best) – tied: Sugarbush, Wildcat & Killington.
2008: May 11 (best) – Sugarloaf May 5 (2nd)
2009*: May 3 (best?) – Sugarloaf May 4?? (best?), tied- Sugarbush & Jay Peak: May 3
2010*: May 2 (best?) – Sugarloaf May 3?? (best?), tied- Jay Peak: May 2
2011: May 22 (best) – Jay Peak: May 15 (2nd), Sugarloaf: May 9 (3rd)
2012: May 6 (best) – Jay Peak : April 29 (2nd), Killington April 22 (3rd)

Again, I've skied Superstar a numbers of times in June in the 1990s, if they decide to really make a run for June turns, they can. The mid-October opening is a good indication of their new commitment to having the longest season, hoping for a return to June turns at Kmart.

drjeff

No talk of pod closing yet - even in Sunbrook there's still a bunch of snow in the trees and Beartrap is deep with big, soft bumps

Just read on the Mount Snow passholders site, a post from the GM. Even though on today's snowreport, Sunbrook was listed as closed for the season, that's not the case! The Beartrap lift will spin from 10-3 both days this weekend. No Sunbrook quad spinning though. Beartrap was AWESOME last weekend! I'm sure if he reads this, Jaywithbigred will agree! :)

gmcunni

Just read on the Mount Snow passholders site, a post from the GM. Even though on today's snowreport, Sunbrook was listed as closed for the season, that's not the case! The Beartrap lift will spin from 10-3 both days this weekend. No Sunbrook quad spinning though. Beartrap was AWESOME last weekend! I'm sure if he reads this, Jaywithbigred will agree! :)

am i reading today's report correctly, blue bird is shut down for rest of the season?

ScottySkis

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com