Greylock Road Construction, thanks to AMC bbs for info - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by YardSaleDad View Post
    I am anxiously waiting to fly it.
    Eh? Fly?

Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Now that's kind of cool.
    Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face. - Dave Barry
    Waterville 11/30; Loon 12/7; Cannon 12/13, 1/17, 2/23; Sugarloaf 12/20, 21-22; Bretton Woods 1/3; Jay Peak 1/24-25; Heavenly 2/9; Squaw Valley 2/10-2/11; Wachusett 3/3; Sunday River 3/7-8

Quote Originally Posted by threecy View Post
    Apparently they're going to try to make the area look like it did 100 or so years ago...pretty big pricetag for that if you ask me!

How exactly are they trying to make it look like it did 100 yrs ago? Aren't they just renovating the road?

Quote Originally Posted by NEPilgrim View Post
    How exactly are they trying to make it look like it did 100 yrs ago? Aren't they just renovating the road?
    I hiked up the ski trail last October and if my summit encounter with the road is representative, it doesn't look anything like 100 years ago. I walked the road from the intersection of the trail to the summit. Firstly, it's asphalt paved (not happening 100 years ago). The wooden guardrails are very substantial in length and size. Lines are painted on the road, replete with crossings and signage of all sorts.
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Thanks, Billski, that was exactly my point . Glad that others feel the same.

Steve.

Now that you mention it, no more cement bulkheads used as guardrails. (I was there in December & walked the road from Cheshire harbor up to the top - snow covered the lines) of course the timber used for 1909 era guardrails would have come from nearby.

My next possibly planned visit is not until August at the earliest.
    Happy Trails, be safe & Good Luck
    Mike P.

..whew...

Quote Originally Posted by YardSaleDad View Post
    I am anxiously waiting to fly it.
    Good to see it's hang gliding YSD, not Base Jumping...
    SteveD

Has anybody been up there on the new roads yet? According to http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/mtGreylock/hours.htm the website, the road appears to be open.

Thanks,
    Woody

Quote Originally Posted by bousquet19 View Post
    Has anybody been up there on the new roads yet? According to http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/mtGreylock/hours.htm the website, the road appears to be open.

Thanks,
    Woody
    I was up there today and the road was open. I heard someone say it opened on May 22.

Thread Information