• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Forget Snow: Alta is for $$$$$

Kingslug20

Utah is not the only place booming...

We were there this weekend looking at houses..Williston is booming.

abc

Want to see change? Go to Moab...it was a mob scene and traffic was nuts. Bet that wasn't that way 20 years ago.
What traffic? I was there twice this year. There's some traffic and you may have to wait for the light to change. But that's it. Nothing I'd term "nuts"! Nothing like the Cottonwood canyons. Nothing like I-70 on the Front range. Nothing of course like NYC or surrounding area. So I don't know what you're talking about!

I don't know what it was like 20 years ago. I'm sure it's less. But aren't that the case just about every town and village???

Kingslug20

They were doing road construction..but it was pretty damn crowded. The parks were crowded so much that if you didn't get there ..very early there was no where to park. I was just suprised by this ..but didn't care..I found it very cool. At times you felt you were on another planet. Some interesting real estate for sale as well. 50 acres with 3 livable caves was one in particular.

thetrailboss

Staff member
What traffic? I was there twice this year. There's some traffic and you may have to wait for the light to change. But that's it. Nothing I'd term "nuts"! Nothing like the Cottonwood canyons. Nothing like I-70 on the Front range. Nothing of course like NYC or surrounding area. So I don't know what you're talking about!

I don't know what it was like 20 years ago. I'm sure it's less. But aren't that the case just about every town and village???
Last year UDOT widened the main road to eliminate the bottleneck that resulted in long delays getting into town from the north. From what I saw last month that helped a lot but there is a lot of traffic there--much more so than on my first visit in 2013. Moab is really booming.

thetrailboss

Staff member
They were doing road construction..but it was pretty damn crowded. The parks were crowded so much that if you didn't get there ..very early there was no where to park. I was just suprised by this ..but didn't care..I found it very cool. At times you felt you were on another planet. Some interesting real estate for sale as well. 50 acres with 3 livable caves was one in particular.
Yes, Arches fills up now before 9am most days. It is crazy.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Utah is not the only place booming...

We were there this weekend looking at houses..Williston is booming.
I don't think I have been to Williston in almost 8 years.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Looking at houses up there..we are thinking rather than escaping civilization..to rejoin it.

If I were to move back to VT, it would be Waterbury. Williston really has little to offer and Waterbury is only 15 further from Burlington.

Kingslug20

Good luck finding a place in Waterbury..I gave up there. I'm watching the market all the time. Williston is near Stowe and SB..near the hwy..near every store on earth..and the houses get sold quickly...we have a 5 year plan. Always think resale.

ThatGuy

Good luck finding a place in Waterbury..I gave up there. I'm watching the market all the time. Williston is near Stowe and SB..near the hwy..near every store on earth..and the houses get sold quickly...we have a 5 year plan. Always think resale.
Are you keeping your condo as well?

Kingslug20

yup...might be able to pay it off and make it cash positive..and have a place to chill out near Stowe.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Are you keeping your condo as well?

I haven't really looked at Waterbury market in forever. I just knew when I left in 2005, that's the town I'd relocate back to given the choice.

I lived in both Stowe and Burlington as a college student in the 90s when all that Williston farmland off 89 got turned into the suburban big box strip mall that it is today. It's not much different than 20 years ago. There's just more spec housing developments. If you want to go out to eat or experience any "civilization", you're still driving to downtown Burlington. Some okay restaurants in Williston, but Waterbury has better.

So, my thought is, I'd either want to live right in Burlington or be closer to skiing in a cooler town than Williston; like Waterbury. Doesn't surprise me to read that housing in Waterbury is tough to find. Perfect location. 30 minutes to Stowe, Sugarbush and Burlington, 15 minutes to Montpelier, which I think is an underrated town to hang out in as well.

abc

Yes, Arches fills up now before 9am most days. It is crazy.
Actually, that's kind of misinformation.

The park doesn't start checking for passes until 9am. So anyone driving up "before 9am" gets in for free with no wait whatsoever!

It's between 9-11 that's the problem. Usually after 11, the lines are gone. And somehow space mysteriously becomes available.

For the time I was there, I was able to get in either before 9 or after 12 everyday I wish to get in. But on some of the days I drove past it between 9-11 on my way to Canyonland or Dead Horse and noticed the board at Arches showing "Full". Still not "most days". Maybe just half of the days I drove by.

Kingslug20

The market is nuts now...cash offer..well..thats not enough cash..houses selling in a day now..