• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ruined Boards!!!

volklskir

I dropped my new boards (Volkl Mantras) at a ski shop here in Southern CT that I have never been too before. My wife grew up here and felt they would do a good job. Normally I would have taken them to a shop up in VT but wanted to have them ready when I got up there.

I got out to my car with the skis to discover that they had come close to putting the screws through the base! They were close to popping through. 2nd I could see that holes were drilled and then capped and then re drilled on the ski!!

I brought them back in and was told that they would fix the ski best they could and order me a new ski and that I should hear from the owner regarding this.

It's the next day, I have not received a phone call from anyone, I plan on going there tomorrow.

I highly recommend that you think twice before bringing your gear or making a purchase at Rotary Ski Shop in Stratford, CT if you live in the area. :evil:

SKIER4LIFE1281

????

What are you talking about Rotary is one of the best ski shops in the east. they do an awesome job with all of my stuff and it is a great ski shop. go there a few more times and youll catch on. BEST SKI SHOP in CT!!!!!

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I dropped my new boards (Volkl Mantras) at a ski shop here in Southern CT that I have never been too before. My wife grew up here and felt they would do a good job. Normally I would have taken them to a shop up in VT but wanted to have them ready when I got up there.

I got out to my car with the skis to discover that they had come close to putting the screws through the base! They were close to popping through. 2nd I could see that holes were drilled and then capped and then re drilled on the ski!!

I brought them back in and was told that they would fix the ski best they could and order me a new ski and that I should hear from the owner regarding this.

It's the next day, I have not received a phone call from anyone, I plan on going there tomorrow.

I highly recommend that you think twice before bringing your gear or making a purchase at Rotary Ski Shop in Stratford, CT if you live in the area. :evil:
If they ordered you a new ski then thats really all you can ask for. Mistakes can happen.

Jean-Pierre Skier

What are you talking about Rotary is one of the best ski shops in the east. they do an awesome job with all of my stuff and it is a great ski shop. go there a few more times and youll catch on. BEST SKI SHOP in CT!!!!!

A ski shop is only as good as the techs working on your equipment. A good ski shop won't let unqualified techs work on customers' gear. Sounds like someone was given the chance to try to mount some bindings and the screwed the pooch. That's just poor service, no other way to slice it. AND, after that butcher job, why the heck would this person ever go back to that shop? I'd be furious as well.:angry:

SKIER4LIFE1281

THe service has been great. i go in there at least 15 times a year and yes i have seen some young kids just startin out working there working on the skis and go there so much i get treated good. the service has been great u just probably got a new person working in there that worked on your skis that shouldnt have. i know who the right people r and my skis end up excellent.

volklskir

Service??

All I am saying is that I found their service a bit suspect. I've worked as a ski tech in the past and I would have never let a pair of skis in that condition be handed off to the customer, did he/she think I was just going to go about my merry way and never notice? Maybe a year or two down the road once the screws finally made it through the base and the binding finally detached from the ski after being screwed into a capped drill hole, maybe then I would have noticed.

Also, I would have appreciated a call from the owner or whoever is responsible for the shop. I'm a tad irate, these skis have cost me close to $800 and to have to go through this experience leaves me to believe that I will never be going into this shop ever again and also makes me want to let others out there know what my experience was and how they should be careful if they decide to do business there.

:puke:

BeanoNYC

I'm sorry your skis got ruined. If and when they do replace the skis and apologize profusely for this incident, I trust that you will post and let us know. It's only fair.

JohnGD33

That sucks, I have a friend who had is ski mounted at a shop in PA. They were twin tips and the ski teck mounted the ski backwards. I could not believe it. They got him this years 1080 ski and he made out dam good. Sometimes a mistake can end up in your best interest.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
a chance

Before you blow off the whole shop of employees and fling dirt around, you need to give the owner a chance to deal with it. It is likely one guy, who made a mistake. Good business dictates he should have at least flagged it on the ticket. Give the owner a chance. He doesn't know about a problem unless someone alerts him. It's more than just compensating you. The tech might need to be sacked or an unqualified person might have done it. Others are right - after the bashing you gave them here, you need to let us know how the owner responds to level the field. The integrity of the shop is only on the line at that point, when the owner speaks. If you don't like the owner's response, then remarks becomes appropriate.

goldsbar

If I'm understanding you correctly, they drilled too deep and the ptex popped out a bit (or are there actual holes in the ptex/). If it just popped at a bit - which happens much more than you think based on my years of reading not always accurate internet info - the base might go back down on its own. Otherwise, the repair is fairly simple. First, try pressing it down with a vice. If that doesn't hold, you may have to drill a small hole, insert glue and then press down. You'd never know the difference so I'd expect these skis to show up on Ebay if they buy you a new pair. That being said, these are new and you're certainly entitled to some compensation.

tcharron

If I'm understanding you correctly, they drilled too deep and the ptex popped out a bit (or are there actual holes in the ptex/). If it just popped at a bit - which happens much more than you think based on my years of reading not always accurate internet info - the base might go back down on its own. Otherwise, the repair is fairly simple. First, try pressing it down with a vice. If that doesn't hold, you may have to drill a small hole, insert glue and then press down. You'd never know the difference so I'd expect these skis to show up on Ebay if they buy you a new pair. That being said, these are new and you're certainly entitled to some compensation.

It was the filled and redrilled that got me. Sounds like someone fudged up, and hoped no one would notice. :)

NYDrew

i would request that they supply a high end demo until your new ski gets delivered.

why do I feel that this isnt the first time we have heard of a problem with this shop.

Lostone

Accidents do happen. But it does sound like someone was trying to cover their tracks... stupidly. (Like if you noticed it a month later you wouldn't know where it happened?) :???:

I think the owner should have made a point to follow up. If that is the best shop in Ct, I'd hate to see what the rest put out. :-o

Sky

Here's a thought....maybe the folks who are associated with the screw-up haven't told the boss, because maybe the hacker...and the employee who let the hacker have "training" on the gear would get dumped.

So maybe the guilty parties are covering this on their own and avoid the boss's wrath?

Call, ask to speak to the owner. Give him the run-down in a calm tone. Let him offer to make good. Best of luck!

Please post your results.

I had a bad incident with a local snowbaord shop. I kept the name out of the post while they "resolved" the issue (lok-tite on the binding mounts melted the binding...ruined the foam core).

volklskir

In the works...

Spoke with the owner yesterday, he was actually present when the screw up occurred when drilling the ski, not sure if anything was going to be said or not and he did not realize that the screws were pushing through the base.

He repaired the base, it looks fine, the screw up with the drill hole is the main issue now, he said that the jig moved when the tech was drilling the ski, causing the hole to be off, the main problem is that the capped hole is pretty close to where the screw is currently drilled in, maybe not this year but down the road it could cause a problem.

He spoke with his Volkl rep, unfortunately no one has this ski in stock anywhere, the rep was surprised that I was able to get a pair. Owner left it up to me on what to do, I am going to wait till the end of the month/Feb to hear from the rep to see if he can get a replacement ski. The owner also offered up a store credit, which is where I am confused, I wasn't sure if he was offering up to replace my skis with something they currently have that may be a close match or to give me a store credit for the value of the ski. Kinda bummed that I just got these skis and I may or may not actually be able to keep them.....frustrated!

tcharron

Spoke with the owner yesterday, he was actually present when the screw up occurred when drilling the ski, not sure if anything was going to be said or not and he did not realize that the screws were pushing through the base.

He repaired the base, it looks fine, the screw up with the drill hole is the main issue now, he said that the jig moved when the tech was drilling the ski, causing the hole to be off, the main problem is that the capped hole is pretty close to where the screw is currently drilled in, maybe not this year but down the road it could cause a problem.

He spoke with his Volkl rep, unfortunately no one has this ski in stock anywhere, the rep was surprised that I was able to get a pair. Owner left it up to me on what to do, I am going to wait till the end of the month/Feb to hear from the rep to see if he can get a replacement ski. The owner also offered up a store credit, which is where I am confused, I wasn't sure if he was offering up to replace my skis with something they currently have that may be a close match or to give me a store credit for the value of the ski. Kinda bummed that I just got these skis and I may or may not actually be able to keep them.....frustrated!

I'd ask which he was offering you. :) Sounds like he's doing things the right way, however.

hammer

The owner also offered up a store credit, which is where I am confused, I wasn't sure if he was offering up to replace my skis with something they currently have that may be a close match or to give me a store credit for the value of the ski.
I wouldn't go for the store credit...they messed up the skis, so they should offer either a new pair of skis of the same type or a refund.