• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does anyone go to 5 PM now?

VTKilarney

Now that Daylight Savings Time has hit, do any areas in the region go to 5:00 PM on weekends?

drjeff

Now that Daylight Savings Time has hit, do any areas in the region go to 5:00 PM on weekends?

Most resorts that do shift operations until 5PM this time of year in the past have tended to wait until late March/early April when, especially this year, it's more spring like temperature wise and the bumps get soft in the afternoon sun

skiMEbike

I know this is something ALL of us want & beg for every year, however it seems like NO ONE does it. The Loaf will occassionally extend the hours by 1/2 hour on some Saturdays late in the year (which coincidentally happens to be 4:20 :spin:)

dlague

While Gunstock shuts down Panorama lift, non-night skiing trails that are accessible from lifts used for night skiing are left open until it does start to get dark. A bonus we experienced on Tuesday.

ironhippy

While Gunstock shuts down Panorama lift, non-night skiing trails that are accessible from lifts used for night skiing are left open until it does start to get dark. A bonus we experienced on Tuesday.

My local hill does NOT do this and it is annoying.

This weekend they will close the non-night skiing trails at 4:30ish, even though a week ago it would have been open until 5:30 (based on the actual position of the sun in the sky)

skiur

Killington will normally change to a 9-5 starting in early April.

BenedictGomez

For the life of me I dont understand why more resorts dont do this.

If it's a money issue where you dont want to extend hours, I get that, but at least shift your hours from 8am to 4pm or 8:30am - 4pm to 9am to 5pm or 9am to 4:30pm.

BenedictGomez

If you ski with the right guy at Plattekill you can go til sundown. :)

Their normal hours are 8:45am to 4:15pm; that 15 minute delay over most mountain's hours really helps out us late-risers. Especially when it's almost a 3 hour hour drive each way!

Jcb890

I was kind of surprised to see Killington listing 9-4 as all of their lift operation times still. I'm surprised they don't start at 8 or stay open until 5 instead. Pretty weak.

steamboat1

Sugarbush who I believe was the 1st area to extend hours in the spring years ago usually switches to a 10-5 schedule, maybe they open at 9am weekends, I forget. Last year when Killington switched to a 5pm close opening times stayed the same, 9am weekdays 8am weekends.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think keeping the opening time the same makes the most sense. Some folks who love spring corn and moguls aren't going to go out until 11 or so when things start to soften. However, there is the other group of customers, often pass holding retires that no longer ski bumps and don't like heavy corn snow. These folks like to get out early while the snow is still firm and easier for them to ski.

So, I'd say Killington takes the right approach here.

xwhaler

That's because Magic will likely be washed out when other areas adjust their operating times.
Or not...SVT has been hammered this yr. Magic is sitting in an area that has some of the highest base depths in New England right now.
Enjoy your midweek K turns while others have a ton of fun at Magic----something for everyone!

sd1_today.jpg