• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Non-ski ski injuries

SkiFanE

Has to be the worst thing ever lol. I always blab about my 45 years on skis with no injury (KNOCK KNOCK). But I came close at Saddleback a few years ago. Was in unloading zone, early, kid had race. Was in back of van getting gear when the car behind me rolled into me. Trapped my leg and knee. Frightening. Could not move leg, could not move car. It was like a corella sized car. Kept squishing every second. Kid of driver was about 12 and he was so cute and came to try to push car off me. Dad (the idiot) somehow hadn't secured the manual transmission. He finally got to car and backed it up. Ski patrol was around and checked me out quick - didn't seem too bad. With 18" of fresh - I did not want to go to a hut or anything. Knee did bother me - spent morning in Casablanca and then Caught race and called it a day - didn't wanr to injure myself more. I was pissed I gave up afternoon of skiing because of it.

Im sure there are worse tales

Cornhead

I blew out my ACL on the 4th of July at my buddy's house. He put up a basket on his garage, playing some drunk 3 on 3, his brother, who honestly didn't know any better, shoved me in the back while I was getting a rebound, came down on one leg, knee bent sideways. Now adays my "good" knee gives me more trouble than the reconstructed one. This happened 21 yrs ago.

On the first day of vacation, the sinch strap on the waist of my jacket got caught on a bolt on the chair while disembarking, the elastic stretched a good 10 ft before it broke, tweaked my bad knee on that one. Thought I'd ruined my vacation, but it wasn't that bad.

deadheadskier

Staff member
3 days prior to heading out to Breckenridge I crashed while sledding. Drunken spring break shenanigans while in college. Tore my MCL. Spent the trip in Colorado on crutches. Injury occurred mid March. Missed the rest of the ski season too.

Rushski

Playing volleyball in a Yankee tournament 3/26/2005. Transitioning off the net to get an approach to hit, put most of my weight onto my right foot and fell down with a torn Achilles.

Had to get a size too large ski boots just to fit the swollen tendon for the next season or so. After that it's been a struggle as a boot has to fit perfectly with two different sized tendons. Wider width to go with my wide forefoot and a bit of room above the ankle, wile still trying to get a boot that isn't made out of jello.

frapcap

Gave myself a chemical burn applying the wrong color Gold Bond between my legs/crotchoital region.

SkiFanE

3 days prior to heading out to Breckenridge I crashed while sledding. Drunken spring break shenanigans while in college. Tore my MCL. Spent the trip in Colorado on crutches. Injury occurred mid March. Missed the rest of the ski season too.
Now that hurts (x2). I was pregnant the amazing winter of 95-96. Husband went sledding that December and hurt his knee. I felt bad, but turned out I wasn't a ski widow that winter - we could focus on nesting as a couple lol

Warp Daddy

I was working out with the football team several yrs ago running AN option play as QB We were practicing Inside the field house on a a fairly slick surface with hard plastic turf shoes on ( WTF )

When i got to the end of the line and saw that the outside linebacker failed to react 'he went for the fake and thought it was an option pass so when i cut back hard into the hole my cleats failed on the hard surface and i went down fast and hard on my elbow on the ball carrying side and dislocated my shoulder .. ... And ended up in the ER

Kinda stupid wearing those damn shows on THAT surface .........and made poling impossible

ceo

First morning of a 3-day group ski trip to Sugarloaf, slipped on ice on the Sugarloaf Inn driveway and left ankle goes pop. First aid people thought it was a sprain and told me to keep it elevated with a bag of snow on it, which I did the first day. Good thing I'd brought a good book. Next two days I cinched the boot on that foot down really tight and stayed off the black diamonds... mostly. :) Had it looked at when I got home and they said it was sprained, here's some stretching exercises. After a couple weeks it didn't seem to be getting better, so I took it in again and this time they X-rayed it and said "huh, well, it was broken, but it's healed nicely now."

ThinkSnow

July 29,2015 attempted water skiing for the first time in 15 years. Popped a tendon in my leg. Hope to be better for ski season!

Dickc

Late summer 2007 walked into company cafeteria. Floor is carpet over cement then tiles over cement. Heard and felt a loud pop in my right knee. Thought to myself, that is not good. An hour later or so at my desk its definitely sore. Call the orthopedics office and with waits for MRI, reading MRI, scheduling surgery, its late October and I am having knee surgery. Got on skis about mid December that winter. Not sure if it was a prior injury that finally gave up the ghost or not, but, just walking?!?!?!?:angry:

Whitey

I've got a few, but my "favorite" happened about 4-5 yrs ago. Me & the family were out on a fairly remote beach. I was walking in knee deep water, carrying some stuff from the boat to the beach. As I took a step, I felt a sharp, stabbing pain in my heel. I go down like I was shot by a sniper. As I am lying on my side in the water I feel around to try to figure out what the hell I just stepped on. Feel something hard and narrow sticking out of the sand, grab a hold of it, and pull it out of the sand. Out comes the dead shell of a large horseshoe crab. It's muddy, gross, dripping sh!t off of the dead shell. The thing had somehow sunk into the sand over time but done so with its tail sticking straight up out of the sand & I just stepped square on it. For you non-ocean types, a Horseshoe crab is a (literally) prehistoric creature with a hard spike tail. This one's tail was about 10" long, probably about the diameter of a quarter at the base and tapering in a triangle shape up to the point at the end. You could tie it to a pole and use it as a weapon. The one that I just "found" - the end of the tail is broken off near the tip. But I can't tell if that happened when I stepped on it or it was like that & my pain/puncture was just from stepping on it & it didn't go that deep.

My foot hurt but we had friends with us and were leaving early the next morning. So I suck it up. I even went to work the next day. By the end of the day I am doing the ballerina tip toe on my right foot because I can't put any weight on my heel. I drive myself to Lahey Clinic's walk in. Doc checks me out. Gives me some looks of disbelief as I tell him what happens. He figures out that the tail spike from the crab is embedded about 2-3 inches inside the meaty part of my heel. He has to load my foot with Novocaine, cut away a good size chunk of the pad of my heel, and then dig around and flush out chunks of the tail and the smegma that was growing on it. Even with the pain killers, it sucked like I couldn't even describe.

The doc looks concerned about what he's flushing/digging out of my foot. Actually calls the CDC in Atlanta. They say the spike isn't poisonous or anything but are pretty concerned about the sh1t that was growing on it getting injected that deep into my body. They decide to put me on a pretty intensive anti-biotic treatment. Intravenous stuff and about a dozen horse pills and shots.

So I end up on crutches for about a week and getting hammered with anti-biotics. All the anti-biotics they give me make me feel awful. The best part was that the following weekend the wife, family, & I are moving into a new house. So that whole week I am supposed to be packing & moving all kinds of stuff. No go - I am completely useless between the crutches and the anti-biotic nauseous haze. The wife does most of the work. By the end of the week I just stopped taking the A-B's, sucked it up, and end up moving most of our life's belongings on one leg.

Good times. Even now I shudder just writing this and thinking about it.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
After a horrible experience with viral meningitis a number of years ago I have become a bit of a germaphobe.
Don't like to touch door handles so I use my hip to push crash bars and shoulder to open doors.
Ended up with rotator cup tear that's slowly getting worse.

bigbog

Jeez, some of these...:-o While attempting to brush/wash off a few spots on the garage vinyl siding a few weeks back... a little 2-step stool I had placed on uneven ground tipped..I jumped to save the feet/ankles/legs/knees but tried to steady myself with my powerhand on the stool. It grabbed & fractured my ring finger....pins put in, bones joined...but talk about a difficult finger to rehab back into use. To say the least...no more flycasting instruction or paddling till next spring....BUT I'm just fine for hiking & skiing!

Whitey

Just realized that I mis-read the thread title. I thought it was "non-ski injuries". Unless horseshoe crabs invade the mountains, my story is unlikely to qualify as a "non ski - ski injury". Oh well. Still a "good" story. G0d-damn it did hurt like a sumnavabitch at the time. . .

Did ever tell you about the time I dislocated and shredded every muscle in my shoulder while waterskiing. . . ?

frapcap

You'd need to skip a ski day for that?

I wish it was just one. The burn made my skin peel and was raw & super sensitive to the touch for about a month. Future note- the blue bottle belongs on your feet, not in the crevice part of your leg that meets your groin.