• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stenger and Quiros Ousted from Management of Jay Peak and Burke

steamboat1

I never ski MRG on the weekends because of the lift line.
attachment.php

Attachments

• singlechair-0000-0000a.jpg
    singlechair-0000-0000a.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 195

abc

I highly doubt it to the point I'd put money on it if I could. Down here, for instance, nobody has even heard of Jay Peak. Blank stares. Wouldnt even know what it is. Most people at least know that Mad River Glen is a ski mountain, and many can even recite "Ski It If You Can" due to their multi-decade marketing, tee-shirts, bumper stickers all over.
"Down here" you mean metro NY/NJ area, it's not even Jay's target audience.

Jay is a whole lot closer to Montreal, and more reasonably accessible from Boston. From New York/New Jersey? Forget about it!

mister moose

But pouring all these millions of dollars into repairing a 50+ year old technology that is now going to be 25% LESS efficient than even its' prior already inefficient iteration makes absolutely no sense.

Minor point, but why does 25% less efficient keep getting bantered about? The normal car will still take 60, and the water tank car is the one reduced to 45 for the weight of the tank, correct? So it will be 12.5% less efficient?

cdskier

Minor point, but why does 25% less efficient keep getting bantered about? The normal car will still take 60, and the water tank car is the one reduced to 45 for the weight of the tank, correct? So it will be 12.5% less efficient?

No...based on what is written in the contract the new limit will be 45.

Here's the section from the contract:
A new carriage will weigh more than the existing one. The weight of the loaded carrier will be
no more than 8’137 kg (17’939 lbs.). Why 8’137 kg? Original design load plus 3%. That is the
acceptable tolerance range.
The weight of the cabin and hanger is 2’439 kg. The new carriage weighs approx. 2’150 kg.
We expect to allow operating the tram with approx. 45 passengers plus 1 attendant after the
upgrade.

The water tank needs to be removed when passengers are being transported.
If the water tank is mounted for water transport only about 820 gallons are allowed to transport.

mister moose

So either I missed that, or it's new information. What I remember reading was that the Tram had been operating overweight due to the weight of the water tank, and capacity would be reduced. Now the requirement is both to remove the water tank for passenger operations, and reduce the capacity. This is after inspect/repair the footings, towers, anchors, basically everything. So where is the reason for the load capacity reduction coming from if the design load remains the same? The carriers are heavier to carry the same load as the old ones?

cdskier

Based on the weights listed, after subtracting the weight of the cabin, hanger, and carrier you are left with a max of 3548 kg (7822 lbs) for load. To get to the 46 number, it looks like they are using an estimate of 170 lbs/person (and that needs to include the weight of skis).

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

Jay is a whole lot closer to Montreal, and more reasonably accessible from Boston. From New York/New Jersey? Forget about it!

Exactly what I was going to say.
How many people in Vermont, New Hampshire, or Maine know or care that there is (or was?) a chairlift along the boardwalk in Atlantic City. No less one doesn't even serve any vertical drop!

BenedictGomez

Exactly correct; which is why it's not iconic.

People in Florida have never heard of Jay Peak either, but many know that Mad River Glen is a ski resort.

cdskier

170 average may sound low but there are often a lot of (sub-100lbs) kids on there too.

You're absolutely right that kids help balance it out, but that number is actually a bit concerning when you think about it for the times there aren't a lot of kids. I'm pretty much right at the average and know many people that are certainly heavier than me. This could be some sort of industry standard number that is always used though, so I'm just going to assume/hope the people that wrote the contract know what they are doing.

fbrissette

Exactly correct; which is why it's not iconic.

People in Florida have never heard of Jay Peak either, but many know that Mad River Glen is a ski resort.

Bad choice of State.

Thanks to Ariel Quiros and Bill Stenger, a shit load of people in Florida have now heard of Jay Peak. Notwithstanding the SEC case filed in Florida, you forget that there are around 500000 (yes 500k) French Canadians vacationing or taking winter residence in Florida (I'm not sure why but that's beside the point).

And to think that Floridians know about Mad River Glen is absurd. Most of them barely know what snow is.

BenedictGomez

you forget that there are around 500000 (yes 500k) French Canadians vacationing or taking winter residence in Florida (I'm not sure why but that's beside the point).

Because Canadians think that if you're good, when you die you go to Florida.

And to think that Floridians know about Mad River Glen is absurd. Most of them barely know what snow is.

I'm fairly certain the majority of readers (like 99.9%) realize this, but the use of "Florida" was meant as a facetious example, and not a metaphysical fact beyond any scrutiny.

I could just as easily said "Iowa" or "North Carolina" - but the point remains, Mad River Glen as a ski area is far more well-known than Jay Peak, local geographical biases notwithstanding.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Can someone remind me again why we are comparing lifts at Jay and MRG and even more so why it matters which lift is more iconic, (which is a fairly incalculable metric)?

Two completely different lifts with different business plans at two different resorts that couldn't be any more different other than residing in the same state.

Last edited:

jaytrem

Two of my neighbors in NJ went to Jay in the last couple years (not together). Both families that do the once a year ski trip. They both mentioned the water park. I'm not sure how they initially learned about Jay, could be word of mouth or marketing.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Can someone remind me again why we are comparing lifts at Jay and MRG and even more so why it matters which lift is more iconic, (which is a fairly incaluable metric)?

Two completely different lifts with different business plans at two different resorts that couldn't be any more different other than residing in the same state.

Because BG is bound and determined to convince everyone that the tram at Jay is the stupidest thing ever and that we are idiots for thinking otherwise.
If people in Jersey haven't heard about it, it must be it doesn't exist right?

LONGBOARDR

Jeez,

A lot of Sturm and Drang about an inanimate object.
Yes the tram is not efficient and is costing a lot of money to fix.
But since expansion, it is used by many visitors year round whether they are skiers, water parkers, golfers, hockey people or leaf peepers. Additionally it is nice that physically challenged people riding the tram get to see what all of us may take for granted from time to time. A beautiful mountain range and incredible views.

Jay is on the mend, el nino is dying and it will be a good winter in the east, enjoy.

dlague

Jeez,

A lot of Sturm and Drang about an inanimate object.
Yes the tram is not efficient and is costing a lot of money to fix.
But since expansion, it is used by many visitors year round whether they are skiers, water parkers, golfers, hockey people or leaf peepers. Additionally it is nice that physically challenged people riding the tram get to see what all of us may take for granted from time to time. A beautiful mountain range and incredible views.

Jay is on the mend, el nino is dying and it will be a good winter in the east, enjoy.

Good points! It is a hallmark of sorts for them.

drjeff

Because BG is bound and determined to convince everyone that the tram at Jay is the stupidest thing ever and that we are idiots for thinking otherwise.
If people in Jersey haven't heard about it, it must be it doesn't exist right?

From the NEK beat me to this sentiment - the fact that BG admitted a page or 2 ago that his brain likely can't realistically grasp the big picture concept here, also helps explain the tangential nature of this thread recently