Rack em! - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rack em!

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    Phenomenal!

Love the slo-mo.

That video does show how leaving skis on the ground can be dangerous though.

Although the beginning of the video has been sped up to make the fall look even more dangerous/spectacular, or for comedic effect.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Someone once told me racers do that because it keeps the ski wax at the same temperature as the snow prior to their race. I have no idea if that's true or just an attempt to justify lazy/entitled behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by podunk77 View Post
    Someone once told me racers do that because it keeps the ski wax at the same temperature as the snow prior to their race. I have no idea if that's true or just an attempt to justify lazy/entitled behavior.
    If that's the group at Stratton that I'm guessing it was in Glenn's pic from yesterday, those skis on the ground likely weren't even their race skis, but their slip/training skis! Their race skis, and you're correct about the keeping the bases and the wax at snow temp, likely were clicked off soon after they exited the finish area fencing, and handed either to their parent's, a coach, or sometimes the kids themselves and taken back up to the start area for run two, or if that was after run two, their ski straps put on their race skis, and taken down to the base area.

As a racer parent, I will say that on every race fact sheet, there is in bold print, a line stating that ski racks MUST be used..... The follow through with that line by racers/coaches isn't great, and many parents just don't care where their kids skis end up, as if something happens to them, they'll just break out the VISA card and get new stuff - espeically if that was the group of kids racing at Stratton yesterday that I think it was (the Stratton Mountain School athletes and their end of the season race as for most all Northeast ski academies, this past weekend was their last weekend of the season for the alpine competition programs), there's just a level of money from most of the parent's that is absolutely crazy!!!
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

If there is merit to the argument of keeping the wax at snow temperature, then perhaps the mountains hosting the races could be proactive and fence off an area with signage for the racers to store their skis.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

So leaving them on the ground at the base lodge will keep the wax the same temp as the snow? Perhaps these kids are forgetting that they will be riding a lift to get back to the course...?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I am on the other side of this. Unless all the skis are blocking the entrances or totally blocking out the front of the building then I have no issue. I guess that I am really not that up tight to let it bother me. I do put my skis in the rack most of the time but I am guilty of leaving them on the ground. When I run into Alynns to go to the bathroom or drop my lunch bag I always leaven them on the ground. Not in the way but not in the rack either. For me it has to do with the racks the mountain provides. If I show up and all the racks are full I leave my skis on the ground. Mind you I am usually not in the lodge too long. I hate the crowd indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Savemeasammy View Post
    So leaving them on the ground at the base lodge will keep the wax the same temp as the snow? Perhaps these kids are forgetting that they will be riding a lift to get back to the course...?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    1+
    Leaving them in direct sun would negate any benefit and could cause another problem.
    Snow around your bindings could melt and later refreeze causing a binding release fail !

Leaving them on the ground is like an invitation for theives as well, can still see the expression on my buddy's face when his Olin Mark 4 Comps got ripped off.

Edit, if I don't lock my skis I separate them

I seem to recall a thread a few years ago about a bunch of race skis getting stolen at Hunter.

I'm guessing these days race skis wouldn't be a real target as everyone wants 110 waisted skis!

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

I would have no problem with people leaving them on the ground if there was order to the madness. Specifically, a designated space for that purpose. The reality is that there are always skiers who place their skis with no concern for others. (Blocking access, traffic, etc.)

Thread Information