Fly vs Drive: Break even point - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit2941 View Post
    The 3k oil change interval was invented back in the day when engines were much more inefficient and “dirtier” than they are now.
    I agree up until a certain point and you mention the direct injection issue next.

My new car, 16 Chevy, also has the oil life monitoring system. But it wants me to change the oil much more often, like around 6-7k miles. The reason for this appears to be that the engine is a 1.4 turbo that has direct injection, which means the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber like a diesel. With typical fuel injection, fuel is injected into the intake manifold where it mixes with incoming air. The fuel air mixture then cleans the intake valve on its way into the chamber. With the direct injected engines the intake charge is dry, so no cleaning of the intake valve. As the oil gets older it is more likely to cause deposits on the intake valve so direct injected engines should have the oil changed more frequently.
    Add a turbo to direct injection and you have a platform a lot more dependent on quality oil than port injected naturally aspirated. So it seems to me the "hey day" for using crap oil and long OCI was 90's into mid 2000s before these trade-offs were introduced (or for turbos just introduced more widely).

As far as Subarus, all of them 2010 and older are susceptible to head gasket and warping head issues. My machinist for my race car stuff mills Subaru heads often. In 2011 this was supposedly fixed, but my wife’s 2011 Legacy overheated one night and was low on coolant at only 160k miles. Suspecting a head gasket issue we topped off the coolant and traded it in right away on a new one so it’s the dealerships problem now. That car also got very rusty in only 5 or 6 years, both the body and underside. I believe the 2011 recommended 7500 mile oil change intervals in the manual.
    I believe all 2.5L NA are susceptible to the same potential failure even with updating the part # on the gasket to a supposedly more durable material. That probably includes up to current day models although they're too new to see failures.

None of the turbo engines either 2.0 2.2 or 2.5(USDM WRX STI LGT FXT 2005+) suffered head gasket problems on a regular basis. It still happens but pretty rare and usually won't occur at all even on high mileage models. The 3.0L and 3.6L H6 never had much of an issue with it either.

The thing about the new WRX 2.0 and probably 2.4 direct injection -- you gotta walnut blast the valves every 50k miles to keep it running right. Stupid. This is why the smarter manufacturers do direct/port dual injection now.
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    I think you are talking yourself into driving. You know you want to
    Of course I want to drive. Just looking for justifications.

At first, I worried about return flights got canceled and I’m left in a lurch. But then I realize I can just buy a one way ticket and still have the flexibility.

But I would meed to rent a car, which on the other hand is getting really cheap by the day...

The only justification I could thinks of is really just my guess that this thing will last for more than 2 weeks, at which point the time spend driving starts to make sense...

I could be wrong. But the penalty is not that high...

If youre looking for justifications to avoid airplanes, then dodging the Coronavirus Petri dish may help.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Of course I want to drive. Just looking for justifications.

At first, I worried about return flights got canceled and Im left in a lurch. But then I realize I can just buy a one way ticket and still have the flexibility.

But I would meed to rent a car, which on the other hand is getting really cheap by the day...

The only justification I could thinks of is really just my guess that this thing will last for more than 2 weeks, at which point the time spend driving starts to make sense...

I could be wrong. But the penalty is not that high...
    I think you can be sure this is not going to resolve in 2 weeks. The ramping up of infection rates has just started. Folks should be happy if there is a vaccine developed before next winter.

That said, the panic fomented by humanity in general is disappointing. We like to scare the shit out of each other and I just don't buy into it. The folks dying from coronavirus are those who are sick already, very old or very young. They could just as easily die from influenza which on average 20,000 Americans die from every year.

But rationality isn't part of the equation anymore so there is no guarantee your flights won't be cancelled or you quarantined. With the "chicken little" attitude that everything is a guaranteed disaster, I would not risk flying anywhere. I would drive.

Which unfortunately does not preclude you getting quarantined in your hotel. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Dont planes have pretty solid HVAC to begin with? I would think the biggest contagion is your chair handles & seatback table.
    Not sure what you mean by 'solid'. It's bleed air (which is warm) and AC. I was referring to micro-droplets in the air, but sure, you can get it from a surface that has been infected in the last few hours also.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    The ramping up of infection rates has just started | Folks should be happy if there is a vaccine developed before next winter.
    I think we're going to find out eventually a lot of the population caught the virus, in many cases already, and thought it was a regular cold or maybe an unusual cold. Since it is so mild in most people and resembles cold, vast majority of cases go unreported and people recover easily and normally. But that means it's already been spread. Cat's out of the bag on this one.

Whatever was happening in Wuhan where there were rooms full of people having seizures at the same time and people dropping dead on the sidewalk -- seems to be another factor in play. That's not happening elsewhere.
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    I think we're going to find out eventually a lot of the population caught the virus, in many cases already, and thought it was a regular cold or maybe an unusual cold. Since it is so mild in most people and resembles cold, vast majority of cases go unreported and people recover easily and normally. But that means it's already been spread. Cat's out of the bag on this one.

Whatever was happening in Wuhan where there were rooms full of people having seizures at the same time and people dropping dead on the sidewalk -- seems to be another factor in play. That's not happening elsewhere.
    I agree with this. Many people already got infected and recovered and are not reflected in the stats.

The virus won’t get resolved in 2 weeks. Maybe not even in 2 months. But I wonder how long the panic and the resulting chaos will last though.

Not to make light of the issue. Several thousand dead in one city within a month, that is a lot! The rest of the world is spared that horror partly thanks to the quarantine.

Im not too concerned about catching the virus on a plane. But I do worry about being quarantined if a passenger is found to be sick. (I’m not staying in hotel once I arrive at Colorado. Have a place to crash)

Last edited by abc; Mar 7, 2020 at 2:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Im not too concerned about catching the virus on a plane. But I do worry about being quarantined if a passenger is found to be sick. (Im not staying in hotel once I arrive at Colorado. Have a place to crash)
    I would not risk the flight myself for the quarantine risk you mention.

Other than that, all you need now is the Porsche or Corvette and you're good.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Other than that, all you need now is the Porsche or Corvette and you're good.
    You mean a Beemer won’t cut it?

Thread Information