• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 4/12 Storm Discussion Thread

2knees

who knows but i find it almost impossible to believe its snowing in southeastern mass as the accuweather radar would suggest.

Greg

Staff member
Have never been to mt. snow - what are the crowds like & will it be a total zoo this weekend? (sunday)

Probably not this weekend. Most skiers have started thinking about other things...

tcharron

Interesting.

Yes, I looked at Intellicast, as well as the Weather channel. As far as Accuweather, that map doesn't reflect what's going on at all from every elses point of view. Is that map just showing base reflectivity, exaggerating the temperature or something?

mlctvt

Have never been to mt. snow - what are the crowds like & will it be a total zoo this weekend? (sunday)

I agree with Greg- Probably not at all. I was there last weekend and the conditions were great. There were never more than just a few people in the line ahead of me. Singles could ski right up the left all day both days. I got so many runs in it was unbelievable. It was one of the best weekends of the year! Could be even better this weekend if it doesn't turn over to r**n.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
temps

the temps (mostly valley) are on the hairy edge. Only higher elevations will save them.
I think the radar composites only reflect what's going on at lower altitudes.

netemp.gif

Euler

I agree with Greg- Probably not at all. I was there last weekend and the conditions were great. There were never more than just a few people in the line ahead of me. Singles could ski right up the left all day both days. I got so many runs in it was unbelievable. It was one of the best weekends of the year! Could be even better this weekend if it doesn't turn over to r**n.

This weekend is also "bring a friend" days for passholders at Mt. Snow. If you hook up with a passholder to buy your ticket you can ski all day for $29. It sounds like they will only be spinning two lifts, but those lifts will give access to the entire main face and the north face, and I'm guessing there'll be tons of trails open and very few people skiing.:-D

I'm in Jacksonville at 1500 feet about 15 miles from Mt Snow. After accumulating 3 or so inches of snow the precip transitioned to sleet for awhile, and right now at 11:30 there is nothing at all falling from the sky. Predicitions from NWS are for more snow at elevations above 1500 feet for the rest of the day with some rain at lower elevations. All of Mt. snow is well above 1500 feet.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
who'da thunk?

Probably not this weekend. Most skiers have started thinking about other things...

Most skiers (i.e., me) have been bamboozled into other activities. Sadly, it's payback time for all they days away I spent from my grown-up responsbilities. who'da thunk we've get a handsome April dump in NE.

Greg

Staff member
Most skiers (i.e., me) have been bamboozled into other activities. Sadly, it's payback time for all they days away I spent from my grown-up responsbilities. who'da thunk we've get a handsome April dump in NE.

I hear ya. I definitely would have saved all those days from December and early January if I knew this was gonna happen. Hindsight is 20:20, but I still might be a bit more conservative with vacation days early season next year...

tommy5402

Anyone with an update on Belleayre today would be great. Would like to hit there sat if its ok...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
thinking

I hear ya. I definitely would have saved all those days from December and early January if I knew this was gonna happen. Hindsight is 20:20, but I still might be a bit more conservative with vacation days early season next year...

If I can still find some lifts turning on Tues-Wed, I might have to detour the work commute to the higher-els for a little "research project"

Which reminds me of a story (one of many.)
One of my ski mates "forgot" to tell his wife he was going skiing instead of work and abscounded parental duties that might otherwise befall him. When she reached him on his cell we were in the car coming back. He refused to tell her where he was, other than "travelling." She called back twice and he just let the phone go to vmail. I think he paid for it later.

It's all in the definition. Like the term "research project."

Makes me glad I took up skiing before I got married. That way it was a package deal - you know me, you know my addictions. Word to the wise for all singles. Make sure you have a skiing clause in your pre-nup :)

mlctvt

If I can still find some lifts turning on Tues-Wed, I might have to detour the work commute to the higher-els for a little "research project"

Which reminds me of a story (one of many.)
One of my ski mates "forgot" to tell his wife he was going skiing instead of work and abscounded parental duties that might otherwise befall him. When she reached him on his cell we were in the car coming back. He refused to tell her where he was, other than "travelling." She called back twice and he just let the phone go to vmail. I think he paid for it later.

It's all in the definition. Like the term "research project."

Makes me glad I took up skiing before I got married. That way it was a package deal - you know me, you know my addictions. Word to the wise for all singles. Make sure you have a skiing clause in your pre-nup :)

Wow I guess I'm really lucky. My wife IS my skiing buddy! Our very first date was night skiing at the old Mount Tom in Mass back in 1985. The best part is we are at almost exactly even when it comes to skiing ability. When she showed up at the door for our first date with 190cm Dynamic VRs and she's only 5'6" tall I knew it'd be good.

Sorry to hijack this post. Anyone know if it's still snowing in Southern Vermont?

tcharron

Wow I guess I'm really lucky. My wife IS my skiing buddy! Our very first date was night skiing at the old Mount Tom in Mass back in 1985. The best part is we are at almost exactly even when it comes to skiing ability. When she showed up at the door for our first date with 190cm Dynamic VRs and she's only 5'6" tall I knew it'd be good.

Sorry to hijack this post. Anyone know if it's still snowing in Southern Vermont?

Current weather maps show that it went to a little rain for an hour or two, but recently changed back over to snow.

skiprob

WHITEFACE? and some other questions.

It has pretty much rained in Albany all morning after an inch of slush. It turned to all snow about two hours ago.

Does anyone know what's happening at WF?

I still have some passes that expire at the end of this season and, "Honey, it would be shame to waste them! Why, it would be like throwing money away!"

"If I take the boys with me, you would have a day with just you and Emily. I bet she will want to play at the neighbors."

Say, we don't have anything planned for next weekend either. Sugarbush has late season rates in effect. Hmmmm? I need an excuse.

What state has school vacation week next week?

hammer

It has pretty much rained in Albany all morning after an inch of slush. It turned to all snow about two hours ago.

Does anyone know what's happening at WF?

I still have some passes that expire at the end of this season and, "Honey, it would be shame to waste them! Why, it would be like throwing money away!"

"If I take the boys with me, you would have a day with just you and Emily. I bet she will want to play at the neighbors."

Say, we don't have anything planned for next weekend either. Sugarbush has late season rates in effect. Hmmmm? I need an excuse.

What state has school vacation week next week?
Massachusetts is off next week, although I don't think you will have to worry about too many vacation skiers...I think that Feb. vacation week is the big one.

clenois

Mount Snow got about 4 inches this morning, then it turned briefly to a wintery mix after 9:30am before stopping altogether. Snow started falling again in the afternoon and we've probably got another two inches or so. Our snow reporter shot some video of it and it's on our snowblog page at www.mountsnow.com/snowblog.html.