• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington arresting skiers?

wa-loaf

I saw a post on the Sugarloaf forum that killington has started arresting people who hike up and ski. Anyone else know about this?

millerm277

They've been attempting to stop people from hiking and skiing. However, stopping people from hiking is a violation of their lease as I've said before. (Specifically, paragraph 15).

The question of if they have the power to stop people from skiing is still up in the air in my opinion. Spinmaster says they have the right to enforce trail closure, but I can't seem to find anything agreeing with him in the lease agreement, and unless there is something I'm missing (which is certainly possible), I can't see how they have the power to control it.

wa-loaf

They've been attempting to stop people from hiking and skiing. However, stopping people from hiking is a violation of their lease as I've said before. (Specifically, paragraph 15).

The question of if they have the power to stop people from skiing is still up in the air in my opinion. Spinmaster says they have the right to enforce trail closure, but I can't seem to find anything agreeing with him in the lease agreement, and unless there is something I'm missing (which is certainly possible), I can't see how they have the power to control it.

Well, If what I read is true they've convinced someone in law enforcement that they have that right.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Have not heard that...only saw on KZone that ambassadors are asking folks not to hike and have VSP behind them if need be...

JohnGD33

That's too bad. I skied in PA before skiing is allowed in the killington area.:stirpot: Not too sure about these new owners. What will happen to the BMMC in the spring?

Geoff

That's too bad. I skied in PA before skiing is allowed in the killington area.:stirpot: Not too sure about these new owners. What will happen to the BMMC in the spring?

The new owners moved BMMC back a week so it's actually in March. There is a terrain park and half pipe event the following weekend. Then Bear slams shut. They moved their Sunshine Daydream event to the 2nd weekend in April which, at the moment, is their announced closing date. April F-ing 13th closing. Pathetic. If it happens, I'm putting my condo on the market.

JohnGD33

That's too bad, I skied at killington last year during April and I had some of the best conditions that I had all year. :flame: the new killington:smash:

tcharron

I saw a post on the Sugarloaf forum that killington has started arresting people who hike up and ski. Anyone else know about this?

Can you link it? I hadn't heard that, perhaps someone 'twisted' this? :

iriponsnowatKZone said:
We talked for a bit & I asked what the "offical policy" was was informed that the mtn encourages people to stay off the snow they are making & that the want to provide a good "product" on opening day. I was also informed that the State Police are the resource available should an 'earning your turns' skier get into trouble.

This gentleman was both polite & profesional. There was no way that the mtn should open under the conditions they have. They lack many connecting trails to the lifts & base. Plus, what would they have to offer? The white strip of death for you & 20,000 of your closest friends???

DEVO

Not my account, but copied from the ongoing thread over on TGR. From this past Saturday I believe.

"Killington is going all-out to ruin it for people hiking this weekend.
Signs written to appear as though they have the authority to control who's on the mtn. on the way to k1 parking lot...
They have people when you pull in kindly informing you that the mtn is closed and you can't ski today.
When you respectfully let them know you understand and continue gearing up they call an ambassador.
They speak to you and say things like "loss of season pass" "banned from buying passes"
You continue on your way and a full time employee is on an intercepting path 1min later.
He says ski patrol is on their way and basically tells you that you will be harassed the entire time you are on the mtn.

So by then you're pissed, don't feel like being stopped by someone every 2min ...and you leave. and they win.
You also vow to not give Killington a single cent this season.
and they lose yet another customer.

If the mountain is closed today why is ski patrol on duty?
This company really has its shit together, I've got to say."

Breeze

Not being a member of the Sugarloaf board, I can't access the message.

But having watched the KZone traffic this weekend, I can say that I never came across a message that folks were being " arrested" as in "booked by law enforcement". Spoken to/with by Ambassadors and discouraged from hiking for turns, yes. Arrested....... didn't see that.

The only reference to Vermont State Police that I remember seeing has already been quoted above by tcharron, which speaks, IMHO, to the VSP supposed role as the first responder in the event of an accident or injury on State Forest Land.

K-zone is way too entertaining in a train wreck sortta way. Sift and pick your way thru the KZone with your salt shaker close at hand. Popcorn is good, too.

Breeze

highpeaksdrifter

It's seems that Kmart has truly become the place everybody loves to hate. There almost seems to be joy in bringing another Kmart thread to the forum to bash it some more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending it, I couldn't stand the place long before the latest problems.

Geoff

I took this at 3:30 on Sunday

KisClosed.jpg

In my opinion, it is baffling that people have this weird self-entitlement to ride the mountain when clearly the management is insisting otherwise... Killington Ski Resort may lease the land, but they are the legal land managers and stewards and if they want to abolish hiking, or any other activity, they fully have the authority.

In addition, if they were to allow 'earning your turns' they are automatically aligning themselves to lose a lawsuit if anyone gets hurt. Plain and simple...Someone hits a snowgun, a hose, snowcat, snowmobile, drunk snowmaker.....and get hurts... the plaintiffs attorney will easily win the case stating that the resort allowed the activity and provided an unsafe environment.... In my opinion, they have every right to abolish hiking and its a very wise choice.

Lastly, who wants a bunch of yahoo's earning their turns when you are trying to work...Respect the workers and let them do their jobs people!

tcharron

In my opinion, it is baffling that people have this weird self-entitlement to ride the mountain when clearly the management is insisting otherwise... Killington Ski Resort may lease the land, but they are the legal land managers and stewards and if they want to abolish hiking, or any other activity, they fully have the authority.

In addition, if they were to allow 'earning your turns' they are automatically aligning themselves to lose a lawsuit if anyone gets hurt. Plain and simple...Someone hits a snowgun, a hose, snowcat, snowmobile, drunk snowmaker.....and get hurts... the plaintiffs attorney will easily win the case stating that the resort allowed the activity and provided an unsafe environment.... In my opinion, they have every right to abolish hiking and its a very wise choice.

Lastly, who wants a bunch of yahoo's earning their turns when you are trying to work...Respect the workers and let them do their jobs people!

They have a right to do what they're doing. The lease specifically says that they cannot infringe on public access. All the way to the point that it specifies where people *CAN CAMP* on the mountain. And many of them are making a big deal specifically because they WANT to annoy management, unfortunatly.

Personally, I'd be more annoyed with the fact that they want to turn Killington into an expensive richierich club ski area taking advantage of cheap public land.

millerm277

The terms of the lease specifically state that the public has full use of the land. No exceptions. Killington has no right to control that, and if they do so it is a violation of the lease.

AdironRider

Bitch bitch bitch, thats all I hear about Killington these days.

Let me put it in laymens terms, theyre trying to do two things, protect themselves from any liabilty, and keep conditions in as good condition as possible for next weeks opening. Considering theyre just hassling you and no arrests have been made, Powdr in reality isnt prohibiting anyone from accessing the land, just covering their asses.