• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter - 11/25/2007

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Sunday, 11/25/2007, 9:00 am - 2:50 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Hunter Mountain, New York

Conditions: Manmade powder, bumps, hardpack. Bluebird sunny, cool, no wind.

Trip Report: Left the house right at 6:30 and made good time pulling into the ski area at 8:25. Unexpectedly met koreshot in the lot and agreed to meet at five fingers at 10 am. Got my pass, booted up and was off. I was unusually calm and mellow this morning. Normally, this early in the season, I'm pretty amped up and spazzed about skiing.

First few runs were meant to get my feet turning again. The T2B option was the normal mainline (Hellgate, 7th and Kennedy). Met up with koreshot and buddy Suda (sp?) as well as kingslug and co. at 10 am. Eventually saw Jim and son, Peter, as well as buddy Karl who I hadn't skied with since December 2004 when he and Jim humbled me for a day. I knew after that day that Hunter produced some ripping skiers. Today reinforced that yet again.

Met up with 180 and a few others in that crew around 11 am. We just lapped the mainline and I had a ton of fun trying to keep up with Jim, Karl and 180. koreshot seemed to be having a lot of fun on his first day out, but he boogied as we went in for lunch around 12:35. I was psyched that his buddy, Suda, hung with us for the rest of the day. He seemed to be having a really good time and actually kept skiing with Jim and Peter after I decided to quit at 2:50. I think I may have talked him into logging in here.

Hellgate had some bumps (and a rock garden) on the turn and along the right fenceline. The rest was hard pack with push piles later in the day. More bumps showed up skier's left of lower Hellgate under the quad. A really nice, but short line showed up on 7th from the top of midstation.

All in all a great day. Good to see kingslug again who seems to be definitely getting that short turning thing going. He probably made 2-3X as many turns today compared to the first time I skied with him. :lol:

A really great day. Split shortly after 3 pm, rolled in a bit after 5 pm to a home cooked meatloaf dinner with the family. Life definitely is good.

Vid coming...

2knees

waitin on that video chief! :wink:

did you use the cabrawlers again and if so, did you feel more comfortable on them?

Greg

Staff member
waitin on that video chief! :wink:

did you use the cabrawlers again and if so, did you feel more comfortable on them?

The vid is cooking...

Yes, I used the bump skis again today. I like them for the quick turns, etc. and I am getting more comfortable on them. Great in the softer snow and bumps today. A little sketchy on the hard pack.

180 had me try his 41" poles today. Mine at ~46.5" might still be too long. Thinking about whacking a few more inches off them.

Greg

Staff member
No DMC? Was QueenSlug there as well?

Yes, QueenSlug and her sister, I believe were there. I took one lift ride with dmc, but lost him after that.

wa-loaf

Wow, everyone's skiing looks like it's come up a notch since last years videos. I'm gonna get my ass kicked in December.

JimG.

Staff member
That was fun.

Off to a good start this season...today was day 5 and I had 2 all of last November.

Hunter again on Wednesday, maybe K on Friday.

2knees

nice skiing guys. looks like you had at least one real nice line setup for you.

skiadikt

nice vid. who's the guy in the greenish pants? 180? guy can really rip.

koreshot

Man Greg, you don't waste any time with trip reports and videos do you?

Yesterday was fun, it was good meeting everyone. Best group of skiers I have skied with in a while, especially when it came to bumps. I am getting a feeling a lot of AZers are really into bumps. Greg, JimG, Karl and 180 are really awesome bumpers, made my bump skiing look horrendous.

Thanks to Jim for helping out Sudha with his technique.

Greg

Staff member
Man Greg, you don't waste any time with trip reports and videos do you?

No, sir. I've got the process down and can bang out short vids like this pretty quick. Great to meet you yesterday, BTW.

Yesterday was fun, it was good meeting everyone. Best group of skiers I have skied with in a while, especially when it came to bumps. I am getting a feeling a lot of AZers are really into bumps. Greg, JimG, Karl and 180 are really awesome bumpers, made my bump skiing look horrendous.

It was almost [thread="2383"]3 years ago at Hunter[/thread] when Karl and JimG. humbled me quite a bit. That's when I started getting more serious about my skiing.

Thanks to Jim for helping out Sudha with his technique.

I was really psyched that Sudha felt comfortable enough to hang out with us. We ate lunch together and he just kept hammering the mainline with us. Nice guy. He seemed to really be having a lot of fun. It's great to see that out of folks that have only been at it a few years. I hope he keeps at it and chimes in here too.

BTW, the vid made the Hunter blog:

http://huntermtn.blogspot.com/2007/11/cool-video-from-alpinezone.html

Thanks Jessica!

Greg

Staff member
Surprise.

:) Great pics, BTW. It's awesome that all the kids in your crew are growing up hitting the hill together. The next generation of Hunter rippers!