• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Its better to look good then to feel good?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I'm a fashion diva, of course.

;)

:lol:

I would have been more of one if I didn't regain the weight I lost right before ski season. :eek: I have a few jackets, they're all functional, and there is nothing wrong with them looking nice, too. Might as well look good since my skiing sucks butt. :lol:
Mrs Root is the same way. Everything must match...down to her....nevermind:lol:

Geoff

Sounds like it's time for you to open up your wallet and buy some new threads.
Now is a good time to buy, but if you ain't got the cash now for new stuff then plan a mountain bike trip up north during the summer and shop then. Brewfest weekends are also good for shopping as they happen before the season. Otherwise you will pay full price.

Things went to 50% here a week ago. It was a feeding frenzy. There isn't much inventory left.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Mrs Root is the same way. Everything must match...down to her....nevermind:lol:
Hello...have you met my jacket collection?
DSCN1045.sized.jpg

It fit much better 15 lbs ago. :oops: That pic is also missing two; one that I wouldn't dare wear it skiing since it's white and I have a bad history with grease stains and the other was acquired recently (after that pic) and is WAY too small at the moment, but that's intentional. Only one pair of pants I can wear right now though. The khaki Oakleys that look like boarder pants because they're so baggy. :lol:

Each jacket serves a purpose. I've found it very useful to have something for when it's wet, something for when it's COLD, something for normal temps, something for when it's windy, something for when it's warm... you get the picture. ;) I don't like a lot of bulk and hardshells aren't my fave, so the options are great. Plus I can find something different depending on my mood... and they were all pretty cheap. Added up together, they'd probably equal 1 or 2 of the jackets many of you have.

Last edited:

Skimaine

Skis and boots are functionality over style. Outerwear is functionality over style from December through February. Once it starts to warm-up (and I am reasonable sure I won't freeze to death on Sugarloaf) I pay a little closer attention to style when it comes to outerwear.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It's all about priorities. Nr 1 is hav ing fun. 2. The right gear must supports nr.1
3. If the right gear matches,I'm a lucky guy. If not, I'd rather have dr jeff pull allmy molars than go shopping for stuff that "matches". Life is too short.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Feeling good and being practical always trumps looking good and having style. But skiing has had a history of being a stylish activity. And if many of the ads from Backcountry and EvoGear have anything to suggest, soft goods are definitely a HUGE part of the business. The younger population, as is typical, seem the most heavily marketed. And end up sporting the most heavily marketed and promoted styles and fashions so they can "look different, hip, and cutting edge". LOL. Hey, I can laugh, I feel for it to when I was younger. Just a different grungy look rather than the faux throw back stuff.

I never pay attention to colors and style of my gear (though there are some really ugly skis that I would never buy). If the boot fits and the ski rips, they are a buy no matter what. But I like sporting the blue/black motif in my outerwear. The right jacket in a different color would not be a deal breaker.

Trekchick

Can't looking good, feeling good and skiing well come together in one package? :)

I'm a teeny bit of a jacket slut, with a different jacket for every weather condition and function.
If a jacket or pair of pants doesn't feel comfortable on me then I won't wear it, so I guess feeling good weighs heavily in the debate, eh?