• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Proper Ski storage?

ERJ-145CA

And also I had them waxed but not scraped a couple of years ago but the last off season I didn't bother. I figure any oxidation of the edges will be taken care of when they are tuned in the fall and I also figure they'll only be my main pair of skis for three seasons before they become my rock skis.

bvibert

Staff member
I'll probably just take my ski box off the car with the skis still in it and store the whole thing in the garage. Then next fall/winter I'll pull the ski box back out of the garage and go skiing. If I'm feeling really ambitious I'll pull a pair or two out of the box and do some sort of tuning before my first ski trip.

catskills

• Turn DIN down to zero to take pressure off
  • wipe down with water and cloth
  • wax bottom ( don't scrape)
  • store in closet or garage where its dry. Basements are never dry.
  • do not store with tails on concrete

Geoff

I have a season tune at a local shop. I cycle my quiver through the shop in April so everything has a fresh tune over the summer. I'm typically on rock boards on my last few days. Those get tossed into the basement as-is.

snowmonster

ill tune my edges and hot scrape unitl the bases are clean. then ill throw on a thick coat of hot wax. let them sit, then strap the skis together and put them in my room. come fall, just scrape the wax and ski. skis should be stored where the temp and humidity are fairly consistant. so like an attic is not the best place or garage. the key is to throw wax on them so they dont dry out and instead can absorb some wax.

This.

Just about the same drill I do down to storing them in my bedroom (temperature and humidity controlled plus I can see them before I turn off the lights at night).

I would add filling in any gouges, refreshing the structure on the bases before putting on the summer wax and turning down the bindings (be sure to write down your din settings on some tape and stick it on the skis lest you forget your settings during the summer). In the fall, it's all a matter of scraping the wax off and turning up the bindings when the snowguns are turned on. Rock skis are scraped first, then a few weeks later, the carvers then, when the conditions are right, break out the fatties!

Greg

Staff member
  • Turn DIN down to zero to take pressure off
  • wipe down with water and cloth
  • wax bottom ( don't scrape)
  • store in closet or garage where its dry. Basements are never dry.
  • do not store with tails on concrete

This is pretty funny. For every step you listed here, I pretty much do the opposite! :dunce: :lol: Never had any problems.

Glenn

So do you guys have the tune shop do this or is this something you can do on your own?
Sorry, i just got back on the boards this season sense i was 10 years old and wasnt sure so please forgive the foolish questions.

On my own. I picked up a swix iron/vice kit from Tramdock earlier in the season. I was using an old household iron. Ski wax specific irons make life a lot easier.

I also click the bindings down to take the pressure off the springs.

Welcome back to the sport! I had taken a 7-8 year "break" myself. Feels so good to be back into it.

Warp Daddy

On my own. I picked up a swix iron/vice kit from Tramdock earlier in the season. I was using an old household iron. Ski wax specific irons make life a lot easier.

I also click the bindings down to take the pressure off the springs.

Welcome back to the sport! I had taken a 7-8 year "break" myself. Feels so good to be back into it.

Picked up a nice waxing kit w/iron from TOGNAR TOOLS they have a great website with LOTS of TUNING tutorials -- great tips on just about how to do damn near anything with tuning

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I really need a better edge guide. I'm currently using this:
701.jpg

With red/blue diamond stones to keep everything sharp. While I think it gets the job done, changing the stones from base to edge and changing the angles all the time gets annoying.

Any recommendations?

Glenn

Picked up a nice waxing kit w/iron from TOGNAR TOOLS they have a great website with LOTS of TUNING tutorials -- great tips on just about how to do damn near anything with tuning

That catalog resides in my "reading room"...it's awesome.

I bought a base structure tool from them, what a cool device!

SkiMangoJazz

Long thread over on epic debating whether ptex can actually oxidize. Seems like the bottom line is that those of us who put storage wax on our skis do it because we like to - not because we really know it'll help.

If you do put wax on the edges, make sure they're dry first or you'll be encapsulating the moisture in wax and it'll rust worse then if you'd done nothing.

I've never turned bindings down and never had a problem.

As to boots, I learned the hard way not to keep them in the garage, because they make a PERFECT home for mice. I've found birdseed in my boots in the fall!

automagp68

Wow, this turned out to be a great thread. Thanks for all the great info Fellas. Sad to be talking about not sking right now. I only got 15 days in this year after not sking for nearly 10. I am going to save some vacation time for next year for sure!

ERJ-145CA

Wow, this turned out to be a great thread. Thanks for all the great info Fellas. Sad to be talking about not sking right now. I only got 15 days in this year after not sking for nearly 10. I am going to save some vacation time for next year for sure!

10 days is pretty good for a first year back after a layoff. I had a 19 year break and I only got 3 days my first season back on skis, that season my first day skiing in 19 years was the first week of March. It is sad talking about not skiing now, I'm done for the season already due to no place close by being open on weekdays and having a new baby at home. The last couple of seasons I skiied into mid-April.

Philpug

I remove the bindings and run through the dishwasher (they rattle around too much in the washing machine). ;-) When reinstalling the bindings, I back off the tension on the mounting screws to relieve the pressure on the cores.