• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite ski area this year?

Bene288

Gore for me. I had about 10 quality powder days there midweek while work was slow. Basically felt like I had the whole mountain to myself most times. I recall coming out of a glade and going to Echo and there not being one set of tracks. It was probably 12:30 - 1:00.

ScottySkis

[Originally posted by Jack on 3-20-2001]:

With the 2001 ski season coming to an end, what was your favorite ski area this year? Why?
Bump by accident, still Sugarbush this past trip was epic.

Phone did this again I was responding to another thread, WTF.

Last edited:

4aprice

Side country day at Brighton was the highlight of my season.

Normally my favorite days come out of Big Cottonwood Canyon, at Brighton if its snowing, or Solitude after a storm. Last year however wa-loaf got the goodies the week before I got out there and my week featured no new snow. Not to say I didn't have a good time out there but it was a little different then I was used to. Therefore I give last seasons award to Cannon Mt in New Hampshire. 2nd Weekend in March was great there, weather and snow conditions were super (best I've ever encountered at Cannon) and I really enjoyed myself. 2nd would be a tie between Killington (2nd weekend in April) and a day at the Bird on the Utah trip.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

darent

discovered smuggs, had a really good day with fresh snow , and these old legs didn't mind the slow lifts!!

skiNEwhere

Really I liked Beaver Creek granted I skiied it one day on my first West coast Vacation but I thought it had steeps especially compared to Vail. What didn't you like?

Where to begin......

I checked the TR, they stated they were 100% open

It was a bad day to begin with, I didn't get to the ticket counter until 1:50PM

So they wouldn't give me a military discount, I guess reservists don't get it, if that's there policy OK, but I bought a military discounted ticket under the same parameters at Breckenridge (both operate under Vail Resorts and have the same policy). If I knew they were gonna do that, I would have got a ticket on liftopia in advance.

Keep in mind at this point my jonesing was off the chart, I had just got back from Afghan and already missed half the ski season, and my gf had moved in with me and I had to unpack and get the dogs situated (all that fun stuff), so I had barley got out.

BC sold a "discounted" lift ticket after 2PM, but since it was 1:50, they wouldn't sell it early, even though the ticket would not scan as active when a liftie checked it, so I had to wait 10 minutes. I got the ticket, took the lift to the top, and did a few runs. Turns out that they closed a few of the glades, so they really weren't 100% open.

But maybe that was for the better, as the trails were sheer ice. I didn't think trails could possibly get that bad in the west, but they were like skiing wildcat on a bad day. I should've brought ice skates (I have videos on my old phone, I'll see if I can find them for you)

I was on a lift with an patroller, and I asked him a simple question about the ice and he gave me a sarcastic answer that I wouldn't have any trouble with it if I went around it, in a sort of condescending manner.

I went back to the ticket window to get a refund within an hour of skiing, but they said this wouldn't do that (not sure if they do it at all, or only not for mid afternoon tickets)

So I tried to salvage the day, and told myself I'll get a free cookie at 3:00. I showed up at 3:10 and asked the ambassador where the cookies were, and he informed me that they are only at 3:00. I don't know how long they serve cookies, or if they were running short, but that was the icing on the cake (I didn't even really want a cookie lol. It was the more the principal of seeing them live up to the reputation they try to push)

All in all, I thought the people who worked there looked down on you if you didn't look like you owned a 7 figure house on their property.

I can deal with a couple of those scenario's, but with all of that stuff, it just left a foul taste in my mouth. Maybe my expectations were way to high?

I know they can't control the conditions, but everything else they could of. Just felt like one of those days when everything is conspiring against you.

snoseek

Where to begin......

I checked the TR, they stated they were 100% open

It was a bad day to begin with, I didn't get to the ticket counter until 1:50PM

So they wouldn't give me a military discount, I guess reservists don't get it, if that's there policy OK, but I bought a military discounted ticket under the same parameters at Breckenridge (both operate under Vail Resorts and have the same policy). If I knew they were gonna do that, I would have got a ticket on liftopia in advance.

Keep in mind at this point my jonesing was off the chart, I had just got back from Afghan and already missed half the ski season, and my gf had moved in with me and I had to unpack and get the dogs situated (all that fun stuff), so I had barley got out.

BC sold a "discounted" lift ticket after 2PM, but since it was 1:50, they wouldn't sell it early, even though the ticket would not scan as active when a liftie checked it, so I had to wait 10 minutes. I got the ticket, took the lift to the top, and did a few runs. Turns out that they closed a few of the glades, so they really weren't 100% open.

But maybe that was for the better, as the trails were sheer ice. I didn't think trails could possibly get that bad in the west, but they were like skiing wildcat on a bad day. I should've brought ice skates (I have videos on my old phone, I'll see if I can find them for you)

I was on a lift with an patroller, and I asked him a simple question about the ice and he gave me a sarcastic answer that I wouldn't have any trouble with it if I went around it, in a sort of condescending manner.

I went back to the ticket window to get a refund within an hour of skiing, but they said this wouldn't do that (not sure if they do it at all, or only not for mid afternoon tickets)

So I tried to salvage the day, and told myself I'll get a free cookie at 3:00. I showed up at 3:10 and asked the ambassador where the cookies were, and he informed me that they are only at 3:00. I don't know how long they serve cookies, or if they were running short, but that was the icing on the cake (I didn't even really want a cookie lol. It was the more the principal of seeing them live up to the reputation they try to push)

All in all, I thought the people who worked there looked down on you if you didn't look like you owned a 7 figure house on their property.

I can deal with a couple of those scenario's, but with all of that stuff, it just left a foul taste in my mouth. Maybe my expectations were way to high?

I know they can't control the conditions, but everything else they could of. Just felt like one of those days when everything is conspiring against you.
Yeah, you had a bad day, go back when the skiings good and its IMO on the better side of things along I-70. They get a different flow. Bring your own cookies