• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Leash law opinions

evil

Brooklyn and http://ericvogelphoto.com/main.php
Had an EPIC day at Platt yesterday but had a situation that left me wondering.
One of the lift guys told me I needed a leash.
Putting the on the one I always keep in my pocket for just an event I told him that I knew he was just doing his job and most likely what his boss requested but I was curious as to how far up the leash laws go.
He said that it is actually a NY state law.
Has anyone heard of this?
Also, if a leash is meant to prevent runaway snowboards, then why is a little piece of shoestring and a clip considered acceptable?
Is this just a blind application of all ski rules to snowboards that was put in place when snowboarding erupted on the hills?
For what little it means to carry one, I really don't have much of an issue (or rather, I have bigger things to worry about) but I still always have to let out a silent groan when I am forced to participate in, what I feel to be, idiocy.
Any one have any information or thoughts?

neil

It's a stupid rule. Maybe it makes sense for those still using step in bindings (then why not skiers too?), but for the majority using straps it makes no sense what so ever.

Smellytele

Some areas also apply it to tele skis as well. Although I broke mine so have taken them off and no one has said a word to me all season.

roark

AFAIK All sliders are required to use runaway prevention devices in all states. Yes, this ignores that ski brakes are pretty useless in either deep pow or on a sheet of ice.

boston_e

I guess it does make sense for step in bindings. Other than that it seems pretty silly.

Smellytele

I actually saw someone loose a snowboard while riding up a lift last week. It wasn't a step in binding either. Luckily it stuck straight into the snow and didn't run away.

bvibert

Staff member
We have runaway snowboards where I work all the time, this is why leashes are required. I don't know how people manage to do it, but they do. I imagine that getting hit with a runaway snowboard would really hurt.

poconovfr

.....................stupid. Only if the leash is directly attached to the board. Doesn't do much good holding a binding in your hand and that's it.

adamti91

yup, mentioned this in my plattekill tr from saturday. rediculous, in my opinion, especially at a mtn targeted toward experts like platty is. wear a leash if you've never ridden before, thats why they come on rental boards. unless you unstrap to hike out of the woods, why would both bindings be off anyway at any time except to head to the lodge... ridden at big resorts like bachelor and they dont give a damn at all, probably because they dont even check tickets there they just have magnetic bars on the tickets that open a little gate you go through.. still im not a fan.

poconovfr

.seriously...it's the dumbest thing ever. I remember when ski areas just started to allow boarders. It was all the rage....leashing your boards......you remember? Back in the days of drilling boards to mount bindings.....they would always tear out of your board.....then you're standing there with a binding on your foot and............whoosh....there goes your board. Nice.;-)

Ballistic

I just got introduced to this rule this past weekend at Jiminiy Peak. Prior to this, I have never heard about this law, apparently it's a law in MA as well as NY, but don't tell Wachusett or Berkshire East that.

Silly if you ask me, hold the owner of said runaway snowboard responsible instead of forcing everyone to abide by this silliness.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Have you ever seen a runaway ski or board on a groomer? They can easily reach speeds in excess of 40 mph. I've seen them fly into the parking lot and seriously damage cars, I've seen them smash into the lodge building and splinter things (mostly not the skis) into a zillion skis. We used to see it about once every two weeks, it was freaking scary. Everyone would shout "runaway". At the moment you heard the word, you stopped what you were doing and quickly scanned uphill. Thank God I've never seen it hit a person.

Back in the days before boards, all skis had to have straps since there was no such thing as brakes. Runaways often happened when they weren't buckled in properly. I hated them, because once you fell and the binding released, the ski would continue to beat and lacerate you as you and the ski bounced and skidded down the trail. Brakes were a huge breakthrough in that respect.

I'm not a boarder, but I would bet you would have the same problem with a strap (being flailed to death by the board) if you entirely released from the board. It's much less likely you totally lose your board however, since there are two points of connection (your boots) and only one object (the board.)

Yes, I've seen that requirement of having a strap on boards at many, many areas. These rules are left to the discretion of each ski area.

The only other legitimate use of a strap is a bona-fide "powder strap" and it's purpose is to help you FIND your board/ski if/when you go down in deep powder.

One guy at Magic lost a ski in the deep pow last week. They took his name and number. I suspect they won't find it till the spring.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I just got introduced to this rule this past weekend at Jiminiy Peak. Prior to this, I have never heard about this law, apparently it's a law in MA as well as NY, but don't tell Wachusett or Berkshire East that.

Silly if you ask me, hold the owner of said runaway snowboard responsible instead of forcing everyone to abide by this silliness.

Reality says that it's really hard to enforce this rule.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
.seriously...it's the dumbest thing ever. I remember when ski areas just started to allow boarders. It was all the rage....leashing your boards......you remember? Back in the days of drilling boards to mount bindings.....they would always tear out of your board.....then you're standing there with a binding on your foot and............whoosh....there goes your board. Nice.;-)

When ski brakes came out, about 2-3 years went by when resorts were not comfortable with them. Many areas insisted you still have straps.

ta&idaho

I agree that enforcement of this policy sounds a little ridiculous . . . like aggressive enforcement of the safety bar policy.