• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

leather work gloves/skiing

Euler

I used the Kinco insulated work glove (the "ski glove") exclusively last year and it was by far the best glove I've ever owned. I treated the leather with mink oil and the gloves were warm and dry. I've never been able to stomach splurging $50-100+ for a ski glove and have always bought low end waterproof breathable gloves that consistently fell short on the breathable part. The treated Kincos are truly waterproof and breathable. I will stick with them this season.

I find it really funny/pathetic that upscale brands are now fashioning pricier gloves to LOOK like these cheap gloves!

bvibert

Staff member
I got my Kinco's yesterday. I ordered them from the Amazon link above and they got here in a couple days. They look nice and durable, though they're a little more bulky than I was envisioning in my head. They should be plenty warm though. Now I just need to go pick up some more Sno-Seal since I used the last of mine on my work gloves last season.

tree_skier

Have been using Kinco's for a couple of years. $10.95 at WW building supply in Wilmington. Going into my third season of my just ski pair, look like new, good well into the single digits, stick a handwarmer in when it pushes -10. Get the kind with cuffs.

SKIQUATTRO

kimco's came in, ordered the Large, too big, sold them to my partner, have to order the med

bvibert

Staff member
kimco's came in, ordered the Large, too big, sold them to my partner, have to order the med

I measured my hand per their chart and was surprised to see they said I should have a Large. Normally I wear an XL glove, but I went with what the chart said and ordered the L. Luckily it fit.. well.. like a glove. Big enough that I can move my fingers freely, but not so big that there's extra material at the fingertips. I guess their gloves just run a little big.

bvibert

Staff member
Does anyone have a good source for getting Sno-seal? I planned on picking some up at EMS, but they don't carry it anymore. :-?

SKIQUATTRO

kinco ski glove just arrived...and do i dare say....they fit like a glove....snoseal going on tonight..

SKIQUATTRO

i actually have Nikwax waterproofing wax for leather (in a 4fl oz tube) that i use on my leather hiking boots...looks like sno seal is the same thing, just a differnt name.....can i use the nikwax on my new kinco ski gloves.??

SKIQUATTRO

finally got to wear em this weekend...in CT, temps in low 30s with wind..cutting down xmas tree...warm and comfy, not as soft and flexible as i'd like, they are quite stiff...wore them sunday leaf blowing and my hands were getting crampy, tired from the stress of my fingers flexing the glove...maybe more use and they'll soften up...still cant beat the price

Grassi21

Does anyone have a good source for getting Sno-seal? I planned on picking some up at EMS, but they don't carry it anymore. :-?

Brian, my local shop carries it. I am going to grab some to seal the leather gloves I grabbed off of Tramdock. I can keep it in my ski bag and let use it on Friday if we meet up at Sundown.

TheBEast

finally got to wear em this weekend...in CT, temps in low 30s with wind..cutting down xmas tree...warm and comfy, not as soft and flexible as i'd like, they are quite stiff...wore them sunday leaf blowing and my hands were getting crampy, tired from the stress of my fingers flexing the glove...maybe more use and they'll soften up...still cant beat the price

Have you snow sealed them? After that and some uses they should "loosen" up and be quite comfortable all around. They are a little bulkier, but worth it on the 0 degree days!

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I bought a few pairs...one for myself and one for each of my biking buddies for a little holiday gift for them. I ordered "XL's", they are HUGE. Made for Sasquatch. I am going to exchange them for "L's". One of my buddy's may even take a "M". They look good though...I'm psyched to try them. Now I need to find that jar of snoseal I bought a few months ago... :confused::confused:

bvibert

Staff member
Brian, my local shop carries it. I am going to grab some to seal the leather gloves I grabbed off of Tramdock. I can keep it in my ski bag and let use it on Friday if we meet up at Sundown.

Thanks, looks like REI carries something similar that Carrie will hopefully be picking up for me this week. I'd like to get them done before then. It usually takes me a bit to do the job as I like to work it in good using a hair dryer to heat everything up.

Grassi21

Thanks, looks like REI carries something similar that Carrie will hopefully be picking up for me this week. I'd like to get them done before then. It usually takes me a bit to do the job as I like to work it in good using a hair dryer to heat everything up.

I quickly glanced at the instructions when I bought the stuff. So you heat up the gloves before applying or you heat up before applying and during application? I am guess the heat is to open up the pores and increase penetration.