• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekly Sundown Night Skiing Gathering?

loafer89

Greg said:
So....so far the potential Sundown crew is:

Greg
bvibert
ALLSKIING
2knees
loafer89

Any others? Beano? Catul?

Grassi21? I think you said you'll be hitting Sundown a lot next season.

Don't forget about my skiing sidekick as I am sure that he will be along for some of my night trips.:-D

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Greg said:

Greg
bvibert
ALLSKIING
2knees
loafer89

Hey ya where is Beano? He wants to work on skiing the bumps.

loafer89

We just went into contract with our house and I will be up looking for a house on friday. I will be looking in Simsbury, which is very close to Ski Sundown.

Greg

Staff member
loafer89 said:
We just went into contract with our house and I will be up looking for a house on friday. I will be looking in Simsbury, which is very close to Ski Sundown.
Indeed. Very cool. Good luck.

bvibert

Staff member
loafer89 said:
Cool, Simsbury is nice. Like you said, it's prety close to Sundown. :daffy: :beer:

Greg

Staff member
Likely less than 6 months before the mighty Ski sundown opens back up, guys! Woohoo!
:spread:

loafer89

I think that between finding a new house, moving our company and helping my father move, it will be ski season again before I know it. Hopefully my son can get in an October day under his belt this fall.

2knees

simsbury is a very very nice town. if you golf, there are plenty of courses around and you are close to everything yet still in a suburban setting. rt 44 can be a nightmare unfortunately.

madskier6

Greg said:

Greg
bvibert
ALLSKIING
2knees
loafer89

Any others?

I just noticed this thread. Count me in on attending several of these (just not every week). I work in Windsor, CT so it's very easy for me. I know this sounds ignorant but I never realized how close I am to Sundown. While I've never skied there, this sounds great. More details I'm sure as the season approaches.

loafer89

The family finally settled on a location for a house in Connecticut and we are having one built for us in Coventry, so I will be about 40 miles away from Ski Sundown.

Grassi21

Greg said:

Greg
bvibert
ALLSKIING
2knees
loafer89

IN!!! This shouldn't be a tough sell to the wife. I will just replace my weekly summer lacrosse games with a night at Sundown. I'm usually out of work around 5ish. When you guys cut off to hit the mogul run I'll hit Temptor or Canyon Run. If you guys inspire me I may be willing to get a taste of moguls at the end of the season.

The housing search has settled in around Newtown/Bethel/Brookfield/Southbury/Woodbury. Wherever we end up it will be slightly closer than Trumbull.

bvibert

Staff member
Grassi21 said:
IN!!! This shouldn't be a tough sell to the wife. I will just replace my weekly summer lacrosse games with a night at Sundown. I'm usually out of work around 5ish. When you guys cut off to hit the mogul run I'll hit Temptor or Canyon Run. If you guys inspire me I may be willing to get a taste of moguls at the end of the season.

The housing search has settled in around Newtown/Bethel/Brookfield/Southbury/Woodbury. Wherever we end up it will be slightly closer than Trumbull.
Don't worry Grassi, I'm not much of a bumper yet myself. Temptor and Canyon are the norm for me.

Good luck on the house search. If you move to Woodbury you'll have a ski area right in your backyard...

Grassi21

bvibert said:
Don't worry Grassi, I'm not much of a bumper yet myself. Temptor and Canyon are the norm for me.

Good luck on the house search. If you move to Woodbury you'll have a ski area right in your backyard...

I will have both a ski area and my in-laws in my backyard. The wife grew up in Woodbury and her folks are still there. I have to hit Woodbury for at least a taste. I've driven by a few times this past season but the lure isn't there.

Greg

Staff member
loafer89 said:
Coventry, so I will be about 40 miles away from Ski Sundown.
Ooof. Not exactly Simsbury, eh?

You have to check out the Bidwell Tavern in Coventry. We used to go there a lot back in college. They have a ton of different flavored wings and great brews. Really cool place.

Grassi/Brian - we'll get you guys out on the bumps this season. Just keep punishing yourself. Repitition is the key. The Nor'easter bumps are actually great ones to try as the pitch is pretty mellow. Watching Pat slam through them will be inspiring. Seriously though - if you want to really get good at bumps (critical in becoming a true all mountain skier) you just have to pay your dues and accept the pain. ;) It really is a commitment. There were nights last season when that's the only run I'd ski - translated to 70+ runs over the course of the season and it really helped me a lot. Local night sessions on the bumps are very helpful for when you hit the bigger more advanced mountains on the weekends. It'll make you a much better groomed trail skier too.

Remember that feeling when you first were able to link smooth turns? Well, the first time you are able to navigate a bump line while abosorpbing/extending, and are able to link a dozen bumps or so together is as awesome a feeling; maybe better. For me, bumps have become addictive. I'm still learning myself, but I'd be happy to provide any tips or critique your runs; not that I'm an expert by any means, but as an aspiring bumper I can at least suggest what has recently helped me.

Can't wait!

Grassi21

That's the plan. I've read that learning to bump is a skill that will help all over the mountain.

loafer89

Greg said:
Ooof. Not exactly Simsbury, eh?

You have to check out the Bidwell Tavern in Coventry. We used to go there a lot back in college. They have a ton of different flavored wings and great brews. Really cool place.

We just could not find a subdivision that had a house in the location and price range that we wanted, and this location is right on the Tolland/Coventry line 2 miles from I-84, and only 20 miles from work on a 65mph highway. At least it is on the route to Sugarloaf, and the loaf is now only 300 miles away.

My office is only 20 miles from Ski Sundown, so there will be plenty of opportunities to ski after work during the winter.

Greg

Staff member
loafer89 said:
My office is only 20 miles from Ski Sundown, so there will be plenty of opportunities to ski after work during the winter.
Nice! So it sounds like you'll make many Sundown night sessions. Don't forget about the Bidwell. Awesome place!

So, guys - we need to pick a day for this. I don't have a preference, but I think the middle of the week may be best; just to break it up a bit - how are Wednesdays for everybody?

Only a bit over 4 months until CT night skiing resumes! :daffy: