• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gunstock opening Big Air Bag next Week

deadheadskier

Staff member
http://www.gunstock.com/mountain/bigairbag/

Read about other mountains having one of these, I think Wyndham, NY?

Anyone every try it?

As a kid I used to launch myself off everything as fast and high as I could go.

Now, I'm all about credit card air. :lol:

I've completely lost my air mojo over the past 10 years. It's 100% being concerned about getting hurt. I think I could get some of my air mojo back (read: balls) with one of these air bag things.

I've got a day pass to Gunstock to use before the end of the season. I definitely plan on checking it out when I go. It's kind of the poor mans ramp camp; like you see into the water at Lake Placid.

Gunstock

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.gunstock.com
Love that "poor man's ramp camp" Love to see people trying new stuff, bag is on the way to boston today, pick up is Monday. Launch date will be 1-28-11

dw2

gunstock big air

it's to the right (looking up hill) of the tubing park - they blew allot of snow to make it - it's got fancy lettering on some of the side things they built (maybe launch points?). Sould be cool to watch from the base lodge.

to Gunstock - any reply on the one thread that suggested bumps on Pistol? I bet many folks would applaud that move

mondeo

There was one at Whistler this summer. It's a lot of air, and a much softer landing than water ramps. Only trick is skis stick like glue upon landing, so you have to fight the usual attempt to land and just let yourself crumple to the side.

Gunstock

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.gunstock.com
There are only 3 on the east coast with ours. We will be the only BigAirBag in New England. And the only one that is available to the public. There is another type of bag in the state but it is for academy kids.

Where the BigAirBag logos are going to be spectator areas so you can actually be over the jump. As for bumps we are going to move the bumps as you may have already seen to skiers left of RedHat so its a much longer bump run. Pistol is an interesting thought, althogh the thread may be just as long for those against it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
can you explain the pricing structure for using the bag. It's a bit confusing to tell how much a single use is for a day ticket holder.

oh, and I hope you weren't taking offense to my 'poor man's ramp camp' description. Didn't mean harm in that statement at all. I'd love to do a ramp camp at Lake Placid someday, but the $$$ is a bit steep for such a thing. I think it's great that you are bringing this bag in for folks to practice on while reducing the potential for serious injury.

deadheadskier

Staff member
There are only 3 on the east coast with ours. We will be the only BigAirBag in New England. And the only one that is available to the public. There is another type of bag in the state but it is for academy kids.

Where the BigAirBag logos are going to be spectator areas so you can actually be over the jump. As for bumps we are going to move the bumps as you may have already seen to skiers left of RedHat so its a much longer bump run. Pistol is an interesting thought, althogh the thread may be just as long for those against it.

What does open to the public mean? The one at Windham is open to the public....
Whindam Air Bag

Make sure you don't make any claims that are not true.

Nothing false in the claim. Wyndham is not in New England

dw2

Oh, that spectator area - it looks pretty impressive from the bowl area by the base lodge beginners will be jonesing to get on it.

Yes, bumps on skier's left - great idea, took some Piche's demo skis through there to check them out -they are quite nice, and should be even better this weekend.

Pistol is wide enough to do race training and bump training and leave a lane open for GP. It would be a great beginner/intermediate training area.

speden

Pistol is wide enough to do race training and bump training and leave a lane open for GP. It would be a great beginner/intermediate training area.

Pistol does seem like a good trail for some seeded bumps at Gunstock. When I've been there, that trail is super wide and hardly used.

Gunstock

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.gunstock.com
deadhead, i certainly didnt take offense to the ramp camp, I Loved It! The pricing is $14.00 added on to a regular day ticket, or if you are a season passholder it will be $69.00 extra. A tubing ticket is $17.00 bucks for 2 hours so we think its pretty reasonable.

as for jrmagic's comments as with any of our elements we cant tell you what to or not to do but inverts are "not recommended".

deadheadskier

Staff member
There was one at Whistler this summer. It's a lot of air, and a much softer landing than water ramps. Only trick is skis stick like glue upon landing, so you have to fight the usual attempt to land and just let yourself crumple to the side.

question.....if this is the case

do you loosen up your bindings a bit so you release? I'm just picturing that crumpling going afoul and twisting up a knee if you don't release. Suppose nothing is 100% risk free.

mondeo

question.....if this is the case

do you loosen up your bindings a bit so you release? I'm just picturing that crumpling going afoul and twisting up a knee if you don't release. Suppose nothing is 100% risk free.
Nope, just fall to the side. Only injuries were some bloody noses for those who didn't crumple and went over the handle bars, resulting in sliding a few feet on the nose, and one guy who came up half a backflip short on a double backflip had some slight concussion possibility. It isn't grabby like sink through crust into crud grabby, it just stops forward motion immediately.

And I'm not sure what the point is if inverts are even not advised. Anything else can be done relatively safely on snow. Heck, I came up short on 6 of the 8 helis I attempted last Wednesday (tough jump to judge speed on.)

Zentaar

Inverts not recommended

I have been in their jumping competitions the last 2 years and although right on the forms it says no inverts allowed, most people were still doing them and nothing was said. I believe it is more an insurance thing, you sign a waiver saying you won't do it and if you do, and get hurt, it is your own fault.